Hey Veeky Forums. I just got my drifting license at 20, and I now all I need a ride

Hey Veeky Forums. I just got my drifting license at 20, and I now all I need a ride.
My options are my dad's 300D turbodiesel, or the 924 porsche. It's not in my budget to buy anying over 7.5k right now.
I know almost zilch about cars. What should I take/buy as a first time driver?

Oh boy

I'm really sorry. I have no clue what I'm doing.

Well, this certainly should be an interesting thread.

>I just got my drifting license
>300D or 924?

>unkillable W123 diesel
vs
>high maintenance slow Porsche

Take the Benz. Get something faster when you have money.

If the Mercedes is in outstanding condition then take it, otherwise it will bleed you dry fixing.

If you take the porsche you're gonna crash it.

Just get a shitbox or an ls400 if you want a luxurious shitbox and don't care about mpg. That way you can get valuable driving experience without destroying a rare/classic car. Spend less than 5k and save the rest for repairs/emergency fund.

Ok, so the Benz it is. The only thing I'm worried about is the crap acceleration. With a 0-60 of something like 18 seconds, I'm kinda worried about highway merging or certain situations. Anything I can do about this? or just accept it?

So, do you/your family own the Porsche too and are deciding between the two?

I drove a piece of shot 4runner with a cracked egr and a head gasket hanging on by a thread that would take what seemed like a minute to get to highway speed and it was completely fine..

People in the right lane will let you merge and the ones speeding in it are retarded. Get used to retards.

yeah, family owns the 924 too. just wanted to get some opinions about my choices.

Just accept it and don't try to race anyone. It'll just get slower the more people you're carrying, but eventually you'll feel it's automotive zen.

It'll become funny as time goes on, actually.

Take the Porsche to inspection, save up, drive that. It's faster, lighter, and more modern, you'd probably be best off with it assuming it's in good condition.

>Porsche 924
>more modern than a 300TD

They're the same generation.

The only problem with the 924 is the scary suspension. It feels like it's gonna fall apart when I'm driving on anything other than perfect roads. Another thing is that people may look at the car at school.

Fuck you're right, I was thinking of the 944 which ended production in the early 90's IIRC

wtf is a drifting license.

american hours are over sweetie go to bed

its what the call a drivers license in Russia

>not in my budget to buy anything over 7500$
>first time car buyer
>first time driver
>wants help in deciding 30+ year old dinosaur cars with probably a shit ton of issues.

are you fucking stupid?

I'll explain what the other user meant when he said Automotive zen.

The Mercedes is only slow if its automatic.
On manual 5 speed ones the gears are long so you can drop a gear without redlining the engine, and accelerate pretty quickly.

Say you are going 75km/hr in 5th gear and 1250r/pm - which is cruising speed for best economy.
80km/hr is where second gear closes, so at 75km/hr you can easily drop to 3rd gear and accelerate hard to 100km/hr pretty quickly.

Or drop to 4th if you're not in that big of a hurry.

Automatic ones are slower because the transmission only uses 1st gear if you floor it from a dead stop. Otherwise it only uses 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

If want it to be faster just get a modern, quick spooling turbo.

The Porsche will be "easier" to drive if you're used to Petrol cars with faster engine response, but maintenance will be more expensive in the long run.
Also, if you fuck around with it you will crash.

The Porsche is a shit drifter and the Merc will be unmaintainable.
Find a E36 of you want a dependable drift car.

nvmd its not actually for drifting... Take the Porsche.

Just get a late 90s/early 2000s mustang V6

>the Merc will be unmaintainable.
Fuck off scotty

>my options are my dad's 300D turbodiesel, or the 924 porsche.

I will assure that there are more options

miata is always the answer

Those porsches are great handling, slow cars. It's a good car to learn to be a good driver in, if you do autocross/track days you will find it very rewarding.

924 is basically a Miata with a fixed roof and a galvanized chassis. Oh, and more expensive/harder to find parts.