First episode of panned Top Gear reboot was given canned laughter

Recordings of people hysterically laughing had to be inserted into the critically panned first episode of the BBC2 motoring show when the around 500-strong large crowd failed to laugh at jokes by new presenter Evans and his sidekick Matt LeBlanc.

One glaring example of the fake chuckles came when the Friends star made a joke about Top Gear and Lawrence of Arabia.

The 48-year-old said: “I don’t know about you but I often lie awake in bed thinking when they approach Top Gear to remake Lawrence of Arabia, which they will, which car are we going to replace the camel with?”

Despite a large laughing sound effect, the 14 audience members standing behind LeBlanc remain stony faced.

Similarly, as Evans made a jibe about Jeremy Clarkson and the fact the show will no longer be talking about “catering” the surrounding audience appeared unimpressed, rather than amused.

During filming, Evans even had to plead with the crowd as they refused to laugh, telling them: “If you find things vaguely funny or you think they were supposed to be funny please laugh.

"That would be great.”

Now audience members who attended the filming have slammed the production – after noticing that laughter tracks had been used to cover-up all the “awkward silences”.

One guest in attendance said: “There were so many long, awkward silences. But when I watched the show back I just couldn’t believe how much laughter they had added in.

thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/7192279/First-episode-of-panned-Top-Gear-reboot-was-given-laughter-track-boost-to-cover-up-alleged-awkward-silences.html

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/live/2016/may/29/top-gear-chris-evans-and-matt-leblanc-launch-new-series-live
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3558892/Top-fear-Chris-Evans-labelled-volatile-predecessor-Jeremy-Clarkson-leaving-producer-tears-following-series-outbursts.html
telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/21/chris-evans-swore-at-top-gear-audience-who-didnt-laugh-at-his-jo/
telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/08/chris-evans-i-am-not-a-bully/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Blablabla, who cares. It was mostly shit, they can fuck right off now.

>British television
>watching television at all
Intothetrash.jpg

Shit thread to be honest

chris pls go

No u

post Jeremy's face when

Top gear is up in ratings and views over top gears first show of their last season. So essentially it is better now.

Those are the facts. Wait for tonight's episode. It'll top the very last episode of last top gear.

>Top gear is up in ratings and views over top gears first show of their last season.

Factor in the most obvious reason and this is meaningless.
First two episodes of new gear will obviously have half decent rating.

go die in a ditch, Chris

This isn't going to last more than 2 seasons

Ok the first one was a joke, but srsly evans pls go

Viewership is going to be high early on because of curiosity, it's going to tank by the end of the series

Lol that's just because people want to see if Top Gear a shit now so of course they'll watch the first episode to judge it

That's obnoxious. But then, it's twitter, so...

>it's going to tank by the end of the series

And if it doesn't, I'll file it under yet another "people have shit taste" incident and move on.

Maybe I have shit taste, if I couldn't enjoy this lifeless, horribly paced and broken scripted mess.

I don't see how it could survive.

It's not informative, and it's not remotely funny.
The only way they could keep it up for a while is to mix up the hosts by taking Extra Gear's ones. Keep people interested in seeing if it gets better, but that'll remove any possibility of the hosts settling into some kind of standard.

I see no winning move at this point. It's weird to think that TG USA season 1 was better than this.

>It's weird to think that TG USA season 1 was better than this.

Because they copied the details of what TG UK did. Instead of just taking the segment's headline.

Yeah but SIARC rallycross race.

Was it really that bad?

I didn't watch the first episode because the reviews slated it, but surely it can't be that bad?

r..right?

Almost all elements are there (plus a really horrible Chris Evans). But there's nothing in them. It's just blah.

The live commentary of the episode puts it pretty well:

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/live/2016/may/29/top-gear-chris-evans-and-matt-leblanc-launch-new-series-live

Why does Chris look like such a numale cuck?

Well yeah, you could argue neo TG did the same(even thought there's still stuff missing), but the US hosts (while being admittedly terrible/inexperienced) were still having fun. They were genuinely happy to be driving the cars. Evans not so much. I still have hope for LeBlanc, I can see his sarcasm being funny once he settles in.

>flop gear

Because he is?

My question is, is there a scientific reason as to why I want to punch him in the face for no good reason?

ITT: butthurt over a change made in a car show

>please laugh

low energy
>pls clap
Such a jeb bush move kek

That's so pathetic. The caps only make it worse.

Desperate

What site is this? I occasionally see faces with analysis.

Seemed like a few presenters from that show were missing. Like the shitskin Chris Harris and some other guy. Where were they?

>I still have hope for LeBlanc, I can see his sarcasm being funny once he settles in.

You could tell he forced it a bit but I didn't mind. It was his first show and I thought he did ok. He certainly did better than fuccboi.
>mfw they keep LeBlanc and can Evans
>mfw a yank is the headliner of a British institution
No one is butthurt. It's just discussion m8.

You are on Veeky Forums right now.

No, not because it's Twitter, but because it's cris evens.
He's a cunt.
Even more so than Clarkson just in different and unfunny ways.

This

They should shoot Chris and get that bald dark-skinned guy from Youtube to present. No I don't know his name and I don't care.
Least it will have some integrity, Chris evens is just a rich fuck who know one liked in the first place.

He was never fucking funny. Not from the first fucking moment I saw him.
Also, a reminder that he's killed people through negligence.

>Also, a reminder that he's killed people through negligence.

Elaborate.

Because despite what you've been told, judging people based on appearance is usually a pretty good barometer

>more people watch it
>therefore it's better

Your retarded mentality is unfortunately shared by most people, which is largely the reason media is complete shit now.

Watched it tonight.

I enjoyed Le Blanc's voice, he was ok.

Other dude just wasn't funny.

This show can be pretty lame anyway. Why the fuck did they compare two cars by trying to get a missile lock using them?

It is scripted and edited to the point of meaninglessness anyway. Sometimes they have good reviews and challenges.

/rant.

Is there a show that is a little more serious and is actually informative about cars etc?

Never knew they were rebooting Top Gear in the first place, now I know it's pretty bad...

so they spent all this time and money just to find out what made top gear good was:

>clarkson
>may
>hammond

They knew that beforehand. But it couldn't hurt to try and see if the next one doesn't rake in some more money.
I cannot, for the life of me, understand the choice of using Evans. Using someone who doesn't care about cars in THE petrolhead carshow? How did that make sense to anyone? Especially with the rest of the cast. Some of their lives revolve about nothing but cars.

I think it is something natural like seeing a roach or a maggot and feeling repulsed

Also I'm sure most of you already know but

>mfw canned clarkson and hired someone MORE volatile all the while ruining the show
>screams at coworkers
>flashes dick at coworkers
>curses at audience

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3558892/Top-fear-Chris-Evans-labelled-volatile-predecessor-Jeremy-Clarkson-leaving-producer-tears-following-series-outbursts.html

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/21/chris-evans-swore-at-top-gear-audience-who-didnt-laugh-at-his-jo/

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/08/chris-evans-i-am-not-a-bully/

I'm still not convinced that the whole Jeremy canning wasn't a publicity stunt. The timing is just too perfect.
But the fact that they made more TG after that....

I see some of you can't deal with FACTS
enjoy the minimum wage people

He was responsible for procuring floor mats for Toyota

>a female former colleague also accused the star of flashing his penis at her “almost every day for two years”

Wew lad

That's a really retarded stunt. That trio was their cash cow.
And you're retarded for thinking that was a possibility.

How?
This, but it's not politically correct to say it.

>number one on iPlayer!
No shit, there's nothing on fucking iPlayer.

>That's a really retarded stunt.

They wanted to quit sometime soon. Besides, the new offer, with vastly more money for them, was already in the pipeline. A year break and they're back? Suspicious.

New Top Gear is kill?

CarFest 2015. The stunt pilot he hired for aerobatics crashed and died.
Regardless of the policy of £60 tickets on the gate, cash only, AFTER navigating an hour of unmanaged traffic problems to get there and walking a mile through someone's crops, with no cash machines on site.
The pilot was later found to not have experience AT ALL on the aircraft he died in.

I watched the TG episodes right before the the punch and he already wasn't giving much of a shit about TG. He was already in a self-destructive mood.

I think it all happened genuinely so I'll be surprised if it wasn't contrived.

>the choice of using Evans
He's the one the BBC roll out to replace long-running highly-respected presenters.

Terry Wogan, national icon, retired suddenly from the Radio 2 morning show. Evans replaced him.
Clarkson was fired, Evans was presumably the only idiot who accepted the list of contractual obligations.
And now his female staff are demanding contracts saying they can't be alone in a room with him because he can't be trusted.

>He was already in a self-destructive mood.
Possible cancer diagnosis, another divorce, and probably agonising over whether to buy the new Ford GT.

if he hates tg what keep going this fucking GARBAGE

here we go

If BBC wants to save Nu-Top Gear, they got to remove evans, and replace him with someone more handsome and funnier.

Matt needs to be more energetic, right now it sounds like he wants to be taking a nap instead of hosting.

Actuallly, they should get the original Friends cast and have them host the show.
I will probably be better.

Something something always stuck in second gear

clapclapclapclap

Kek

Nigga needs to sell one of his Ferraris and invest in some dental work

LMAO

FUGGIN GOLD

If they made it with the cast of friends, I would watch it

>A year break and they're back? Suspicious.

Really? Considering they used to make two seasons a year, I'm annoyed it's taking them this long. Not suspicious at all.

It's even funnier because at the very start of the first episode he said "new improved audience".

He's English what do you expect?

Going by what I've heard about British TV, this would only be out of the ordinary if she was a adult.

So.. What happened to BBC / Top Gear not doing plugging and advertisements on the show? Two episodes now have had shameless plugs in the "star in a rally whatever" segment.

Its not the same show. It's not as good. But to be honest, it's still pretty good. If Chris ever gets the hang of fluidity and the writers stop forcing it, I think it'll be down right decent. But without the trio, who knows, maybe scripting is the only way to make it interesting. Maybe they just can't get the same dialog to happen without a strict script.

The original Top Gear had quite a lot of laugh track too, other than the first handful of series where the crowd was either 30 people strong or falling asleep listening to Jason Dawe.

don't bully Matt pls he 's the cool guy

Because it's an entirely new cast so of course lots of people are going to tune in to see what's up
Come half way through the season the amount of viewers will be significantly less than that of the last season

>please laugh
>please clap

NEW TOP GEAR CONFIRMED LOW ENERGY

Nice to see the reboot already failed.

Kek
How did they cast him in the first place? Not complaining, just seems random since he hasn't been relevant since the 90's.

I believe he's taken part in a lot of celebrity pro-ams and has a decent car collection. Certainly not jay leno big or anything, but still. Also, he's got a voice like melting caramel, so there's that I guess. No homo.

I read somewhere Clarkson and the two bought some rights for TG or something similar a couple months before...

Their move was totally planned.

Watched the first and half of the second episode.

I cannot stand Chris, fucking screaming in the cars when he traps the throttle, fucking yelling 90% of the time at the screen or audience.

Matt seems ligit cool, give him time to grow into it and I bet he will be funny as hell.

Sabine stepped straight out of a cold war era Siberian Soviet block movie where everybody starves to death or gets shot because it's just the way things are done. Christ she aged viciously but she's still hot as fuck after the initial shock.

Why do they high five? Why do they hug? Why have 4 people on the couch to interview at the same time?

You can tell they are not close friends, but rather trying too hard to be friendly happy people.

Fuck.

Next they'll degrade into catchphrases for laughs
>Here's a Ford Focus compared to a Fiat 500
>Insert shitty joke from Matt
>Bazinga
>Roll laugh track

> zimbabwe

Kek, you faggot
> he does have a good voice though

>Christ she aged viciously but she's still hot as fuck after the initial shock.
Yup

>trying too hard to be friendly happy people

Chemistry is what made the three chucklefucks so successful in the first place. It's not something you can force. Evans is an annoying cunt. Can him and keep Matt.
Please god, no.