Replacing with an aftermarket gas cap

Looking to replace my gas cap with an aftermarket one that locks for security measures. My current gas cape is tethered to my car, is there a proper way to remove it? Will an after market cap make the CEL come on?

>Will an after market cap make the CEL come on?
Only if it doesn't seal properly.

I see, thanks! How about removing the tether?

depends on the car I'm sure it's just some clips, or a bolt or two. I checked my gas cap to see but mine isn't tethered to anything

just what do you mean a security gas cap? Do you have an american shitbox where you open the cover manually?

Yes, a Saturn Sky Redline. I don't want anyone taking my gas/putting stuff in my gas tank.

i drove about 70 kms with my cap off and the little gas door open and the cel didn't come on.. is it broken?

With a flathead screwdr8ver you can unlock almost any of those locking gas caps. There's really no point to it user

Thieves/vandals are inherently lazy, they'll send the lock and 99% of time they'll piss off

Yup, it's all about deterrence. Why would he bother with your car when there's another car right next to it without the lock.

Years ago when gas prices were unsane, we had gas thieves come and steal gas every night from our trucks. Company bought high security locking gas caps (the cap itself is keyed and locks). Thieves just crawled under the trucks and cut the gas lines and drained those. Got to the point where the mechanics had to drain the tanks every night before they left. Gas thieves don't fuck around.

So should I bother getting one?

it doesn't always happen. Also your car might require 2 drive cycles before that code comes on, since that's a smog-related code

Yeah, one other concern I have is smog related. I bought the car from a dealer with very low miles. It has a RPI GT exhaust, RPI intercooler, RPI turbo down pipe (not 100% sure not very familiar with this). Also it probably has an ecu tune. I'm worried about smog. The dealer said it would pass smog and all the mods were carb legal and they're going to send me my plates.

>I don't want anyone taking my gas/putting stuff in my gas tank.

No one is going to do this unless you live in a post-apocalyptic hellhole like Detroit.

Especially with gas prices at half their recent peak.

How do you like the sky? I like the looks but it's kinda heavy for a roadster

>Looking to replace my gas cap with an aftermarket one that locks for security measures.

Ignoring the deterrence factor for strictly casual vandals, there is very little security for anyone that is willing to apply brute force (large screwdriver and prying force) to the keyhole. That is because your lock is mounted IN PLASTIC. Get that? PLASTIC. Ohhh, so soft! PLASTIC!!! So the security is actually pretty tiny.

Around there, the Dollar Tree dollar stores sell siphons as does Harbor Freight and other stores. So for a dollar, the cheakskate thieves are always getting gas. If you use a lock they will bash the lock in. They don't care. Some service vans owned by businesses have polymer gas tanks, and they stab a hole in them to get the gasoline. The rest of the gas runs out on the ground and can start a fire that burns the business down as well as the other cars in the lot. But the thieves don't care.

If you're not careful, they even emerge from bushes and run towards you when you are at the ATM. Too scary. The plaza mall had to cut down the beautiful shrubbery and only have low plant cover and small trees (for now they're small) as the thieves cannot hide behind a tree trunk or between the shrubs and the front of the parked cars while waiting for people to use the ATM.

Damn. Too much thievery and mugging in today's society.

sounds like you live in a shithole

>Friends girlfriend left him for another man
>Friend kicked her out of his apartment same day
>They came back and jb welded his gas cap into the fill neck
>Couldn't get the cap off at the gas station
>Ended up replacing the fill neck as he couldn't get it all out
>pussy wasn't brave enough to torch it out

>Harbor Freight in area
>Wal-Mart in area
>Dollar Tree in area
>Starbucks with ATM outside the shop at mall
>sounds like you live in a shithole

The problem is that the trayvons commute via their free bus passes to the area, do their thing, then use the bus to go back to the slum city at night. There is no escape when they have all the free transportation they need. They scout out houses in the day to verify which ones are unoccupied since everyone left for work. But even though traytray doesn't live in your neighborhood, you cannot stop him from going around or else racism charge from the Black Lives Matter activists. They love to sue for fees.

I love the Sky. I've owned 2 now. Don't get the base one it's very lack luster. The Redline is a lot of fun and you can really feel the boost. A lot of people don't know what the car is so it's pretty cool and very affordable. I just bought a polar white one, which is what I've been looking for.

>Will an after market cap make the CEL come on?

Emissions control systems create a negative pressure in the gasoline tank so that vapors do not get emitted into the atmosphere. Over millions of gas tanks, that is also a substantial fuel savings especially in summertime. To do this, those gas caps seem to have a certain pressure range where they let air through.

The generic locking gas caps have that keyhole and locking mechanism to the sides of the neck. That means there is an air gap thru the keyhole to the passageway for the arms that extend into the neck to lock the cap. So these locking caps cannot develop the negative pressure range needed by the emissions control system. Thus, after a period of time, the emissions control system causes the CEL Check Engine Light. My previous car luckily had a locking cap that worked as the emissions system was not too picky about the pressure range.

My new car seems pretty picky as the locking gas cap fails to provide the pressure range the car wants for the gas tank.

Why the fuck don't all cars have a locking gas tank? It's 2016 and my soon to be 2017 camaro does not come with a lockable gad tank. My fucking 2005 Acura does though. What the fuck? You can't spend an extra dollar and allow the tank to fucking lock?

>Why the fuck don't all cars have a locking gas tank?
Sounds like you live in a shithole.