Is Driving an Automatic Ever Ok?

Oy mates. Looking to buy a car. I've got around $45,000(Canadian) to spend and Im mainly looking at German cars. I saw some nice Cayman S', 911 C2's, 435i's, E90 M3's, etc.

Ive driven manual my entire life and I hate driving automatic cars, but I wonder if it would be okay to drive a PDK Porsche or an SMG BMW, or something like a C63 which has paddle shifters.

Also looking for what cars I should also consider at $45k.

Thanks

yes, if it is convenient for you go automatic

>what cars I should also consider at $45k
Ford Mustang.

What if I want a subaru svx and want to race it or rallyx?

Nice blog post, why are you so insecure that you need to ask a taiwanese moving picture imageboard for their opinion?

With the right driver both trannies are equally capable.

You'll be bored, it's going to be a lot closer to feeling like an automatic than manual

true luxury cars should never be manual.

>torque converter automatic
power loss and disconnected throttle response is never okay.
>SMG, DCT, or other automatically controlled manual gearbox
this is perfectly fine, assuming you're okay with the higher maintenance costs that go with a hydraulically actuated clutch. BMW's SMGs are awesome when the pump isn't broken, automated launch control is cool as fuck.
that being said a manual is still going to be more desirable in these cars

I hate torque converter type automatics and CVT's. I have no problem with DCT style automatics though

>BMW's SMGs are awesome when the pump isn't broken
Newer ones are, the E46 ones are NOT.

i have 6 manuals and my 4x4 is automatic and a love it

Automatic is good for hilly, populated areas like San Francucko and Seatoll, where it completely removes the possibility of fucking up a hill start and striking the asshole who stopped 3 inches behind you because they dont know how to fucking drive worth a damn.

Yes, you CAN use a manual in these areas, but it only takes one mistake to end up with a high deductible. It's a risk you have to choose.

Manual and automatic are both good for most *legal* on road situations, but manual is usually a bit better. Auto is simpler.

Yes, if you're an amputee.

Who would ever want to live in a city and drive a car?

people who don't want to schedule their time around public transportation

driving an automatic shitbox or luxury car is okay but it will never be acceptable to buy an automatic sports car

If you get a PDK, be sure the car has the proper paddles and not the in/out button things on the steering wheel. It makes a huge difference.

its always acceptable unless youre a nocar faggot

There are only two times when it's unacceptable

>If you don't know how to shift
>If you wanted manual, but had to buy auto because your wife/gf/whatever can't shift

With that said, this won't fix your preference for manual. DCT is better performance-wise but it won't make a difference in day-to-day driving anyway and your left foot will be wanting. Slushboxes are slushboxes. CVT is cancer.

>If you don't know how to shift
>Unacceptable
>If you can't drive manual it's wrong to use automatic

What in the fuck am I reading? Some people are clumsy fucks, ease up lad.

Take an E31 or an E34 M5 (or E38 750)
BMW is the only viable choice.

Automatics are only ever okay for luxury cars

SMG isn't wort the extra maintenance costs, but the PDK is an excellent transmission. I would prefer manual, but don't worry too much about it with higher-end, recent cars because the autos tend to be pretty good.
desu manual C63 is the car that gives me the biggest hard-on right now.

pretty sure the 435i and c63 are slushboxes mate. porsche is cool but newest models you cant afford. same boat as u, not sure if i can trade in my manual bmw for a dct.

C63 is a slushbox mate and waaaay outside ops price range. bmw hasnt used an smg in years. their dcts are quite fine

You can actually get used C63's as new as 2012 for under 45k

Luxury cars. Standard is for standard cars, automatic is a luxury option.

not with canadas exchange rate

>435i
>$45k Canadian
Good luck with that famalam. Was looking at getting a 340i, but with the options I wanted it's $63k before tax and delivery. Even a year old used one is in the high 50s before tax.