Why is there a negative connotation with buying cars that have rust? even if its a little bit of rust

Why is there a negative connotation with buying cars that have rust? even if its a little bit of rust.

Like me personally being a poorfag/wagecuck/student I dont give a rats ass about a car that has rust as I dont intend on keeping it for the rest of my life. As long as the doesnt fuck up the car mechanically im good.

Other urls found in this thread:

newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5564483348.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because not everyone is a poorfag that plans on letting their car fall apart under them?
Good thread.

Having heavy rust in California is a bad thing since surface rust is the most of what we deal with.

Because people are lazy and stupid
>bmw a shit btw

that 2002 will outlast your shitbox you cuckold.

why dont you go prep tyrone for your mother.

Well rust can indicate many things, for example if car's body have been tampered with, rust usually appears at weak spots for example when someone fixed the rear body of the car and it was done as cheap as possible, usually after accident. Rust indicates improper handling of the car, if there is rust in one place it means that it can be elsewhere as well. I have seen some dealers to actually wash cars in such a way that engine was exposed to water and started corroding, it was only visible after some dissassembly. So rust is not necessary something to be afraid, but it's a red light.

the rust from the photo isn't bad. it wouldn't take much to fix.

doesn't look like any major body work to fix.

photo is from a craigslist add , kek

newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5564483348.html

If you actually like cars and want to keep your car, rust is a big deal because it's a pain to fix on your own and expensive to pay someone else.

Unibody cars with a lot of exterior rust can have structurally damaging rust on strut towers and cross members. BOF cars can rust to shit and nobody need give a fuck but they're a dying breed

i don't find it a problem. i have two lancers from 1998 that are so rusty in some places(body is fine btw) that when i tried to jack them up, my jack burst through the frame. the one i'm keeping just gets big dents where i jack it up. perfectly fine for a rally car that i'll drive until the driver's seat falls through the floor but i'm not buying an expensive car that shows symptoms of abuse

there's the rust you can see, and the rust you can't see.

I used to work in a salvage yard. We got in a nice and shiny 1995 Cutlass Ciera sedan that had ripped in half at the back seat. The outside was fine but the floors and structure were rotten under the back seat. When they got hit by someone running a red light it ripped the ass end off the car. If someone had been in the back seat they would have died.

>Why is there a negative connotation with buying cars that have rust?

Because those owners only performed incomplete car maintenance and blue off what they thought was inconvenient or costly. Thus the car goes downhill faster.

>I dont give a rats ass about a car that has rust as I dont intend on keeping it for the rest of my life

And that is why those car owners pass the problems to others and probably even DECEIVE those buyers. After all, the current car owner is already dismissing those problems as trivial even though they are not trivial. That is deception right there.

Rust is bad.

>Why is there a negative connotation with buying cars that have rust?

Rust is a BIG FLAG that many things were neglected during the car's life AND the neglect was over a long period of time. That's quite a big deal. Just because the car is shinily waxed right now doesn't change its past. The shiny waxjob is merely deception.

I have a 2002 you dolt, I have two of them.
I fix the rust on them though. It's not hard to buy a mig welder, some gas, and watch some youtube vids on welding sheet metal.

>blue off

two examples of mine:
1998 bmw E30 for 500 euros from a russian trucker- one of the sills had a rust hole, the rest was the usual. surface rust on all arches and bottoms of the doors- lifted the car up, zero rust on the underbelly. took out the carpet- no rust. 28 years old car that wasnt taken care of that well, but in general was damn solid. all mechanics that have had a chance to look at it are surprised how good it has held up, despite looking a bit shitty.
2000 mazda 626 - needed daily that runs on pennies and sips fuel, aka an LPG convert. only minor rust on the rear right arch and front strut tower. engine is in great shape, zero leaks, everything else including electronics works great. bought it without taking it to a mechanic thinking that my BMW that is 12 years older held up good, a much newer car should bee alright. lifted it up to check after i bought it like dumb cunt- 4 fucking rust holes in the rear inner arch big enough to get a fist through. 150 euros to my mechanic and its fixed, wasnt structurally dangerous, just very unpleasant since the fucking slav monkey that sold it to me said it was 99% rust free. my fault for believing and not checking. a year passed and two more rust holes shoved up on the rear inner arch on a different place. rear strut tower tops arent more than a year behind for a nice new hole at this pace. only two options remain- do some proper major rust proofing on a slow, but very reliable car, or buy something else (e36/5 323 is my plan) to daily.
since my daily commute can be done better on a bike, im going with the E36/5 option. daily skidz, here i come again.
to put it short- every older car can be rust bucket, just take it your mechanic and be safe before plopping the moneys down.

Depends on

1) if you can weld, don't get someone else todo it

2) areas of weld, whether it's just the wings or perhaps across a floor pan

3) availability of scrappers or affordable shells for the extreme ends or just replacement wings

4) Your confidence

>Youtube vids

lmao fuck off they aren't going to teach you shit on doing welding well, anyone can show you how a gun is held but not shot

Here in Europa car won't pass inspection with rust

Bro mig welding sheet metal is a joke. A youtube video will tell a complete novice all he needs to know. Like how to stitch and not warp panels.

How do you stop rust though? I feel that's something even a caring car owner would have trouble with.

as well as what tools he will need and how to clean the welds up and fill and prime them when he's done.
where else do you expect someone to learn?

you can't stop surface rust unless you sand the area, neutralize it with a rust dissolve, and prime it. you cant stop structural rust unless you cut it out and patch it like saving a limb from infection.

for an average owner with an average shitbox it's a waste of time and money, obviously. but if it's a car you plan on restoring at some point better sooner than later.

so glad I live in the southwest

Because rust is expensive and time-consuming to fix.

Surface rust spreads. Structural rust takes out critical components when you need them.