Road Quality

In America, which state has the best roads?

Other urls found in this thread:

reason.org/news/show/21st-annual-highway-report
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Florida

North Carolina

Is this a joke?

>north carolina
>good roads
Maybe in the east, but no where I'm at.

Probably some southern state, the salt plows and freezing do hella damage to the roads up north and in the mountains

Not Michigan

FL roads are pretty good because it doesn't freeze. Anywhere without ice and plows will be decent. IL was shit between the potholes and broke state gov't. Indiana was even worse though, I-65 is fucking awful.

Well Massachusetts spends the most money on their roads so I think they should be somewhere near the top at least.

Any state that doesn't use snow chains or road salt

Southwest Washington roads are pretty good. No potholes or anything like that.

New Jersey

:^)

Florida roads are fucking terrible. You're a dumbass. Fuck off back to trucker threads you bitter asshole.

Not Pennsylvania.

Have you been to Florida? Have you been to any northern states?

RWD is still more fun.

Second Florida roads for GOAT
Can drive 12 hours north till Georgia before seeing a pothole. They're getting even better now that they're starting to repave colonial in Orlando.

I have. Florida is completely flat, there are 0 good roads there. The only state that could possibly be worse is Louisiana. Saying Florida has the best roads would be like saying Nebraska has the best street spots.

Thread doesn't say most fun roads does it? It says best roads, and Florida has the best roads.

I don't think OP is talking about driving roads, but road quality and potholes. At least everybody else in the thread is talking about potholes and stuff.

I live in Pennsylvania. Was offroading up near the mines earlier today. I took note of how the ride through rough trails in the woods was of nearly the same quality as driving on the street.

Damn, that sucks.

I'm sure everybody in Chicago understands that. You absolutely need a set of steelies for the winter and spring if you have an expensive summer set. By the end of winter, the roads are so fucked up from plows ripping up chunks of asphalt.

Don't get that in FL.

they are all shit but the least shit i have been on are probably florida but i'm from Alabama and it's the only other state I visit semi-regularly., fuck the government thanks obambam

idk who has the best but california must have the worst
> fucking potholes big enough to pop a tire
> barely even rains
> highest gas taxes
just fuck my shit up senpai

Not Louisiana. Uneven concrete slabs are terrible Also a whole bunch of unintended speed bumps that they take forever to fix. They're fixing a lot of roads but their priority list is shit. They're fixing roads that I didn't even think needed to be fixed and completely ignoring the worst ones.

There's also this one road. Pic related. Every time it gets wet my grip vanishes no matter how new my tires are. Gotta change my entire driving style just to stop myself from spinning tires or sliding. A friend of mine did a full 360 on it making a turn once.

Except you guys do. Everytime I drive across the Delaware, It's like I'm suddenly driving on ivory.
t. Pennsylvania

hawaii

Seconded. Penndot are some of the most useless, corrupt, and overall retarded people I've ever known.

This is the correct answer OP.

maryland

North Carolina is probably the best state overall to be a car owner in, all things considered.

Arkansas is pretty good in the Ozarks region.

Obviously nowhere in the rust/snow belt is good. A lot of the central states have boring roads and bad traffic like in Texas.

The mountainous regions can be fun, but the areas with a lot of snow and cold temperatures year round are not good.

PNW can be good, but limited.

California has some great roads, but really punitive car ownership regulations and shitty traffic around the cities.

Hawaii is beautiful but extremely expensive to own a car in.

Not Louisiana

Based Texas

>tfw live in PA

Fuck PennDOT, holy shit.

Tennessee has the best

Maryland / DC has the worst

>North Carolina is probably the best state overall to be a car owner in, all things considered.

HAH. Enjoy emission checks for inspection. Also road with potholes everywhere that they use inmates to fill them in. Do you expect them to do a good job? THEY CANT EVEN DRIVE

>Lived in NC for 20 years and happy I left

What nigger? There's no snow there. The potholes don't have shit on Massachusetts. The cali roads are the best in the country. Period.

Well Worcester's streets fucking suck. Boston is okay but the layout is shit due to the old infrastructure so they get a 0/10 as well.

False

they are not. I have driven elsewhere, even in places with weather that wears the rode worse (VA, etc.) that have better roads. our weather might be better but our road crews are shit.

>no one ever mentions my state in these threads
>mountains, no police in my town or couple townships around me
>someone regularly does burnouts in all intersections around here. Several smiley faces.
>I largely keep my mouth shut
Ayy lmao.

Anything but us.

> Pittsburgh area here

Arizona has pretty nice roads, I guess it's easy to keep them nice when it's dry and flat.

Here in LA the roads are shit. Outside of the big cities they're average. PCH and some mountain roads are the saving grace of this state.

Route 1 tho

>from Monterey to LA
>wew lad

You're talking to a poster that got his license 2 months ago and drives his parent's Town and Country to Wednesday night MTG drafts only

Not Illinois
>live in Iowa
>cross bridge into Rock Island
>pass "Welcome To Illinois" sign
>BUMPathumpthumpTHUD

You serious? Most of that money went to making crossing our bridges not actually a suicide attempt

We spend all that money on them and our roads are still worse than ALL the surrounding states. No seriously, we rank 46th out of 50

reason.org/news/show/21st-annual-highway-report

Vehicles older than 25 years don't require emissions testing. You aren't a cuck, are you?

That's ok, but not the greatest.

In IL, I believe MY1996 or 97 and newer need emissions tests every 2yrs. All they do is plug into the OBDII to make sure you aren't throwing codes and it should be standard on those cars. That law was passed a few years ago. Then they immediately closed like half the emissions testing places so you had to drive far as fuck and wait forever for a 5min test.

Based FL and no testing. The insurance rates are brutal tho.

>FL roads are pretty good

but the people are fucking shit

>reach 12th grade in florida
>would only be considered 9th grade by actual standards

Alright, let's not exaggerate here.

To be fair, most of the shitty people in Florida came from New York and Haiti.

>tfw HS diploma from IL

>implying grayling north isn't a fun cruise full of twisty side roads
>implying I live anywhere near the cities
>implying I live in a poor county

As a troll I'd say Wisconsin or Ohio actually have roads worse off than ours.

Oregon

>twisting mountain roads
>high desert cruising
>curving coastal highways
>uncrowded valley backroads

nc has the best driving roads

california would too, but their cops hate cars

They're not even remotely good.

I've lived and been stationed in every corner of the state, all the way from Key West to Pensacola. The roads are fucking abysmal.

I have property in Boone and Asheville.

Roads are all super fucking smooth.

Probably Indiana tbqh

Was driving behind a guy on a Harley who almost smashed into a fresh pothole with what I'd describe as a boulder in it at highway speed. He swerved I'd already moved over, the van behind me fucking drilled it and his drivers side tire exploded in a glorious display of shrapnel.
>implying potholes aren't great for training reflexes

Same offroading PA fag from earlier. I drive my 4x4 f150 at about 20 mph on the side streets. You dont so much dodge potholes as just try to hit the smaller ones.

Ive seen them 8 inches deep. All the way down to the brick.

My favorite is when they pave a road, and a utility companie, usuall water, rips it all to hell and then poorly patches the massive holes. Then they put up a sign that says "Another local improvement by PA American water."

There is a road about 1/2 mile from me that is so bad that people actually drive on the undeveloped shoulder rather than the road.

I remember a small shortcut road between two main roads. The sign literally fucking said "TRAVEL AT YOUR OWN RISK"
I did, it was night. I thought my car was going to come apart at the seams from going 30 down it.

probably somewhere in the south with consistent weather.

>tfw extra grip extra comfy and silent driving in freshly paved roads
>They have been repaving and repairing roads a lot more recently in NJ
Muh dick brehs
I approve of these tax dollars

NOT NEW YORK

Agreed. Michigan by far is 50/50

Can't speak for Wisconsin but Ohio is better off road-rise. As someone who commutes to Pittsburgh every other week I know first hand exactly where the state border is between Michigan and Ohio. I cross the border and the road instantly gets smooth or shitty depending if I am leaving or coming home.

Also, think of the wall of billboards and roadside advertisements LITTERALLY on the border inside Michigan.

This also happened to a co-worker of mine. She hit a pothole going 45mph and did close to 10k worth of damage to her car.

While I approve of your picture, no way. As mentioned before, just drive down I-65. Sometimes when I drive to/from Chicago, I willingly deal with the extra hour and slow IL speed limits of I-57 to avoid the shittiness of I-65 through IN.

And if you want to judge it by "driving roads", nothing in the Midwest could even be in the Top 10 unless you are a drag queen (racer).

As far as road quality? I would say it's far from abysmal. Have you been to the North much?

Georgia did seem bretty gud.

Nevada and Wyoming because there's simply nobody using the roads, therefore there's no damage caused by large vehicles.

Louisiana is broke as fuck man, especially with oil as depressed as it is right now. They're having a special legislative session just to pound out a budget that actually funds everything it is supposed to right now since the old one can't.

That being said, any of the big oil company routes are wide and smooth as silk.

>Dat two hundred mile stretch of nowhere by Cameron where the Rockefellers own half the state's total coastline.

Connecticunt here
Ours are ass for the most part

Not in the north

Kentucky?

I was 'avin a giggle. Indiana roads are probably worse than Louisiana. I like Texas and north Carolina irl.

VA roads are better than Nc's this coming from a sc faggot.

Shame about VA's shitty road laws tho

Montana has very nice roads

Enjoy your 65 mph highways

Texas is fairly good. Used to be a lot etter but they are starting to cheap out. The new roads are shit.

VA fag here, the roads blow and the cops suck. NC is where it's at.

Arizona

California for mountain stuff or hwy 1 beauty.

North Carolina for better mountain stuff like tail of the dragon.

They're shit everywhere and not shit at the same time

Tennessee is absolute shit unless roads aren't used by semi trucks.

Chatt reporting.

Another vote for TX. Smooth roads and normally wider than usual which makes it easy on a truckerfag like myself.

Worst has to be Michigan near and in Detroit

mountain roads are still kinda shitty, but still fun to drive.

Freeways are garbage but I do always see them repaving them at night

NJTP Is god tier tbqh. Thankfully your state isn't full of cucks who don't understand passing like most southern states so I can actually enjoy driving in jersey.

California has pretty good roads in my opinion. Only driven in LA but Caltrans seems to have their act together.

Its because Louisiana govt. is corrupt as fuck. Has been since almost forever.

Launderers as far as the eye can see.

Fuck penndot atleast Ohios roads aren't horible like some of them back roads back there

It really just comes down to type of weather. Places with brutal weather and low tax incomes have the worst roads. Especially places that flood or freeze, but also have brutal summers.

Best: California and Southwest in general
Worst: New England, Oklahoma, Missouri Valley, Mississippi Valley.

Lower Ohio Valley and the Carolinas seem to have nice quality roads, but I've never been there.

Caltrans is king.
They invented a lot of what other states/rest of the world uses today (like the standard concrete barriers, they're designed to deflect vehicles back I to their lane instead of going over/flipping/etc).
Nobody has better roads than California.
Texas sucks. I've seen ponds on freeways after heavy rains. I'm talking about completely unnecessary water retention. Just from poor design.
Nevada is pretty good, along with Arizona.
Louisiana is pathetic. Tennessee is acceptable, barely. Georgia and Florida are OK for the most part.

you're wrong. Florida roads are terrible.
PepsiFag go fuck yourself already.

Plus California dumps tons of money into Caltrans
And Caltrans has strict quality control and utilizes technology.

They don't just patch roads forever like a lot of other states I've lived in.

But, not everyone has an economy like CA that can build good infrastructure.

>California invented the concrete barrier
Then why is it called a JERSEY BARRIER you cuck?

Oklahoma roads are aids
You can actually tell about when you cross into another state because the roads get better

I love how Caltrans will design merge lanes that are a generous length, and have clearly designed lane ending signs.
In Virginia alone I pass two exits every day here Vdot puts in long lane strips, not the dotted short ones, and the lane ends without notice - which always catches Mexicans/teenage girls off guard

Michigan
>heh