Why is it that, when it comes to the "mysteries" of their theology, religious believers will implore you to have faith...

Why is it that, when it comes to the "mysteries" of their theology, religious believers will implore you to have faith, but at the same time, will dispute you and demand facts from you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zgk8UdV7GQ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They compartmentalize the ridiculous aspects of their religion into an "emotional" category which places devotion as the highest possible virtue, beyond rationality, indeed many religious people will outright reject rational thought as somehow "evil".

On the other hand as homo sapiens, they are still intrinsically capable of recognizing rational arguments as more convincing. So they revert to standard argumentation when they suspect it will be an effective way to win a point, as per typical debate.

Finally it's important to note that a religious person will never ever argue in good faith. To them debates are purely a display of loyalty to their leaders and to satisfy their self-imposed duty to promote their religion.

>a religious person will never ever argue in good faith

you must be really depressed

You must be really deluded.

Cognitive dissonance.

pretty much this, but I think it applies moreso to the abrahamic trio, christian fundamentalists in particular on this site

>le hat meme xDDD

Just what I have come to expect from the great Christian "scholastic" ""tradition""

>swarmed by a horde of sea-snippers
Jesus Christ, what a horrifying fate.

So then what does this say of the Jews, who are an ethnicity defined by a religion?

because a brown girl put freaky lobster things all over herself

>who are an ethnicity defined by a religion?

not anymore

youtube.com/watch?v=Zgk8UdV7GQ0
I'm not disagreeing with you it's just that what you said reminded me of this

>indeed many religious people will outright reject rational thought as somehow "evil".

indeed you were wearing a fedora while you made this up

this

>This is the great argument for religion.

> made this up

Thy constantly say things like "God works in mysterious ways", etc.

Horseshit.

I don't really understand why to even have this debate since now a days as long as people aren't complete assholes about their faith why do we have to question their reasons for happiness

Not that guy, but Martin Luther would be a famous example.

its my job as an academic to question the things i dont understand

I understand that but why go out of your way to bring unhappiness to people needlessly?
Like can't you just talk to a priest or something that way you affect as few amount of people possible?

If religion were solely for the emotional well being of the adherent it would be fine, however too often religious belief results in some latent inversion of morality placing nonexistent and irrational concepts above practical and real issues, enabling bad policies that can endanger innocent people.

better than an argument for nothing.

This is easier, I'm not really interested in what the vatican teaches either. I'm more interested in what the common man believes.

Look it always come down to this. It is philosophically impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God. Therefore any belief in either way necessarily requires a leap of faith. Whether it is to believe that there is a God, or to believe that there is no God.

So unless you take the agnostic position of, I don't know, either side can demand 'proof' of your belief and be technically correct in that you can't prove your belief.

Yeah but that doesn't really happen in modern time besides extremist and in the middle east. And as a whole most people would agree that what they are doing is wrong therefore making it so that the religious rules that cause harm to people are often avoided.
Now I could understand if you are disproving the religions that are causing harm but why would you try and disprove religion a whole?

Fair enough it's just that the people who try and disprove religion to inflate their egos irks me.

post your picture with this written on it. Time stamped.

literally one guy from medieval times?

I'm just speaking categorically and very broadly, I personally believe that in some small way it is better to be clear-headed about beliefs rather than to accept comfortable but untrue emotional appeals. The reason if I had to admit it is that I am suspicious of people who are gullible enough to believe them and I'm insulted by people who think it's a valid way to convince me or anyone else.

lol wtf

Which is exactly why I have faith in the flying spaghetti monster and his glorious noodlyness.

south east asians are noodle heads.

Not all religions have mysteries, only mystery religions do. But I assume you're using "mysteries" to mean things beyond science, such as the existence of God.

Not everything is scientically verifiable or even known. For example, the alleged fine tuning of the Universe. Whether it's real or not, it's commonly explained by religious, paranormal, and multiiverse believers to be the work of gods, aliens, or the multiverse. Where there is curiosity and the unknown, people will propose explanations. Because they lack scientific facts to back up said explanations, they demand faith. But because they believe in science, and know not everyone holds the same beliefs as them, they will argue with others and demand facts.

Faith isn't just about religion. Faith is a human virtue whereby you put your trust in and remain faithful to someone or something good - but it can be abused for evil, such as trusting too much or following bad people. So, some people propose there is three or more genders and claim science is evil for proving there is only two genders. But not all believers in three or moral genders hates science, let alone think it is evil. There also extreme examples like Heaven's Gate, Jonestown, and the Laogai. Yet there is also good examples of faith: secularism and its humanist virtues, the Abrahamic and Eastern religions that perform charity, cults that don't engage in suicide or murder, and new religious movements that work for the better of society.

Going back to the Laogai: some atheists deny the genocide was atheistic and anti-religious, because they have faith in atheism not being intrinsically anti-religious, so any appearance of such is dismissed as ahistorical. Atheism is not intrinsically anti-religious, but putting faith into "mysteries" is more common than you think; it's a human tendency because of curiosity, the desire to know and explain, and the human virtue of faith.

Well, the religious got rekt right from the start of this thread and never recovered.

>It is philosophically impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God.

That depends entirely on the type of "god" we're talking about. If you really think of god as having no impact on your life in any way that you could perceive then why is it worth worshiping?

Why do children of satan expect to understand the mysteries of God?

I can tell you about them a thousand times, and you will still not understand.

Because you're dead, not stupid.

Thanks Alabama, kindly fuck off then.

See how easily you lie? Just like your father, the devil, and father of lies.

Alabama.

wtf

good post

shit post

>They compartmentalize the ridiculous aspects of their religion into an "emotional" category which places devotion as the highest possible virtue, beyond rationality

Welcome to Kant

Other than the trinity in traditional catholicism, is there really any other theological mystery? Of course there's a level of faith for any religion but the trinity is the only thing that is a mystery in that they say it's unexplainable.

>Other than the trinity in traditional catholicism, is there really any other theological mystery?

The Trinity has not been sufficiently explained by any other sect of Trinitarian Christianity either.

except, occam's razor

>L I T E R A L L Y

one of the most important men in respect to the christian faith.

desu i'd rather believe in nothing than heaven, hell, and an invisible sky god

i post this as someone who intensely respects the christian faith

It hasn't but they have explanations, bad or good isn't the point. Catholics are the only ones that say you can't explain it as a matter of principle. But as far as I know, no other religion or religious theological idea is completely taken on faith alone.

Since all of that is at least in principle arguable one way or the other, religion isn't simply a matter of faith although of course faith plays a big part of it. So OP is wrong or at least invalid.

do it, and you don't even have to post it here, just have a look at the picture and you'll realise why it and the fedora meme undermines your argument

No, just a scumbag catholic friar who couldn't stomach just how evil the papacy is.

Literally nothing to the Kingdom of God.

Not even in it.

Oh fucking please.

Calling someone stupid and ugly doesn't make them wrong and you right, holy fucking shit man this place has gotten dumber then /pol/ for fuck's sake.

That quote you posted is more compassionate and humane than any christian I've seen on this board.