Why is the myth of expensive exotic ownership out there?

Why is the myth of expensive exotic ownership out there?

I was a car meet today and a guy had a Ferrari 360. He has owned it for 7 years and I asked him how much it has cost to maintain. He has driven it 77k miles and DDs

He told me has done EVERYTHING to the car except the clutch which was twice. He does all maintenance fluids, wear parts, brakes and rotors and engine maintenance. He actually just changed the spark plugs on it. He told me it was $4,000 for a clutch job at a Ferrari dealer. That's cheaper than a fucking 911 Porsche clutch job.

He said oil changes don't even cost more than $170 if you want the Ferrari dealer to do it. I hear fags talking about it costs $500.

>15218479
I'd like to point out his 360 had 98k miles on the clock too. 2004.

>Italians
>Capable of making a reliable car

MUH PASSUN

This. Rob Ferrititiiritiitititirrttrrerrrtii even says his two 360's have issues. Like the fucking door locks breaking from a slight breeze.

Mad poors parrot every story they hear that makes people who own nice things look foolish.

it's not even that nice though

This is my favorite exotic car. Good to hear.

As someone who owns an expensive exotic piece of automobilia, I'm going to tell you right now, it's not a fucking myth. but here's the thing, it's not just about the cost, it's about the shipping. Holy fuck the shipping.

These had an issue with the radiator cracking on the top left corner out of the factory due to crappy design where roughly 70% of the weight of the bottom radiator was held up by the top one. I experienced this meme. It cost me $890 for a poo-in-loo aluminum radiator. The factory charges $550 for a brand new one. Why not just buy the factory one? Here's why:

I ordered replacement wheels on February 16th.
They were received on APRIL 2ND

I ordered mirror block off plates from the factory
They arrived 30 days later, and didn't fit my model year.

I ordered bar ends from the factory that supposedly fit
They were too big to fit into the throttle tube

They also showed up 30 days later.

I ordered a replacement set of silicone radiator hoses about 3 weeks ago and they still haven't even SHIPPED.

All in all, I've spent about $3400 fixing and upgrading this motorcycle. I managed to get a custom made carbon fiber bellypan, shoehorn in a set of mirror block offs from an R1 (they actually had bolts spaced well enough for the mirror holders, but still required a drill), and replace a battery (which requires removal of the seat unit, seat mounting bracket, fuel tank, and a lot of finesse to keep from dropping the little square nut into the alternator), learn to mount tires on my own through trial and error, balance the wheels (without a tool to balance a single sided wheel), replace a radiator, flush an entire cooling system, refill it, and go through all the electronics with a multimeter to find that two of my bosch relays went bad within a period of almost 7 months.

>inb4 you're just a shit mechanic
Nah, I've probably got about 5 hours of work put into this shit. After 7 months

Exotics are niche. Parts are far and few between. Price ain't shit

an exotic motorcycle?

>4k for a clutch job
and he still got ripped off. He went to a bad mechanic. A good shop will be objective and look at it as any other car doing a good job, just take extra care while doing it.

It's like the guy on reddit who fully paint corrected a Ferrari GTO. He got paid 5k, not because it was a rare ferrari but because he did the full paint correction detail that took a week on a 30 year old car.

Basically, I bought the radiator from a third party seller on ebay. I trusted fucking EBAY more than the factory to get me an expensive ass radiator within a week rather than the OEM distributors.

The wheels were also italian. They're very good quality too. They still took almost 2 months to get to me.

Working on anything exotic is a bitch. Modifying them is even more horrific as you normally have to resort to some seriously half-assed shit to make it work and look decent. Good luck finding support too. The feel is amazing, the ownership is amazing, and I love the fucking thing to pieces, but you're fucking pants-on-head retarded if you think that exotics are ANYWHERE near cheap to work on, maintain, own, and operate.

The Ferrari of motorcycles to be exact.

Have a friend with a 2011 458, they charge him $1600 per minor service and he had been back for so much warranty shit like body control module shitting itself and wiper motor dying. But he keeps it because muh european engineering

>the Ferrari of motorcycles to be exact
More like the Alfa Romeo of motorcycles. The Ferrari would be a Desmosedici RR or even a Tricolore. Hell the Honda RVF1000 is way more of a Ferrari than your budget bike that's cheaper than a decent R1.

AHAHAHAJAJAJAAHAHAHAHXHXHXHXHX

Get a load of this special snow flake. Omfg bro step of your high horse. I down a Ducati 1199 super leggera and you dont see me posting on here like im some big rich guy

The f in f4 stands for ferrari you dummy
They designed the engine

Classic madpoor.

I've heard the 360 is one of the most reliable Ferraris, while the 458 is for a modern car.

But if I recall correctly, the Audi R8 is the most reliable supercar... either that or it's easy enough to live with to be daily driven (which practically means the same thing).

>I down a Ducati 1199 super leggera and you dont see me posting on here like im some big rich guy
Post pics faggot.

>I'm posting like some big rich guy
u fokkin wot m8? I'm literally bitching about spending $3400 on parts for the fucker. Not once did I act like I was rich.

Dude, if you know the financial situation of MV, then you KNOW that they have issues with their aftermarket parts and stuff...

I own an MV too and never had issues. You're just unlucky to have issues at a bad times for the company.

>Not once did I act like I was rich
> The Ferrari of motorcycles to be exact

Yo shit closer to a vespa then a ferrari my nigga lmao

>as someone who owns an expensive exotic piece of automobilia

Dude stop emberassing yourself. I see this pos go on craigslist for 7k all day

$4K for a clutch job?

Thats not terrible, considering it costs $3400 to do the clutches on a motherfucking SMART CAR.

>guys this single anecdotal exception to an established and proven rule proves the rule isn't true!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fuck off

He did also say they were a great car for less than 100k and seemed pretty fond of them even with the broken locks and loose mirrors

Yeah, we know.
People who believe the maintenance meme are idiot normies who can't turn a wrench. No surprise this board is full of those people.

LMAO TRUUU

Top Tip: Ferraris use a lot of Fiat parts

If you ever buy an 80's ferrari you can get a lot of fiat shit for it for 1/10th the price

There's the thread on pistonheads with some guy modifying an F430. He reckons doing the clutch on one is easy and does all his own works, and says Ferrari don't even service cars right even though they charge you a fortune.

mostly stuff on older things like door latches, buttons, stalks, random solenoids and fuseboards etc

>I trusted fucking EBAY more than the factory

That's also because if you post badly on forums about official companies, their forum mods delete or change the posts. The lawyers from the companies also get the posts deleted and any google or internet archive site to also remove those posts. It's typical. There are even internet businesses that specialize in sanitizing reputations, so these ferrari and other italian dealers keep a nice clean online reputation. We posters don't have our truly negative posts survive the scrubbing process. Look at wikipedia how arrest records and carcinogenic products are scrubbed off of corporate product listings despite editors trying to put them back. Sometimes the reputation cleaning companies even go after the persistent editors in order to shut them up or intimidate them from performing maintenance to repair the scrubbing.

>I talked to a random guy for 2 minutes, the myth is dispelled

It is true that manual 360s, 430s, and 550s are about as cheap as it gets for Ferrari maintenance, but the 360s and especially 430 manual cars demand a huge premium now so it doesn't really save you any money vs. dealing with F1 issues for the whole price of the car. Can you get a manual 360 and make it limp along for cheap? Sure, but you fail to realize that if you don't stay on the exact service intervals and fix everything that's wrong the car will lose a lot of value. The majority of 360/430 owners still fix the cosmetic issues like sticky interior, fading drip rails, display issues, etc. which are quite expensive and come up all the time. 360s are still belt cars (430 is chain), it's engine in so not too expensive but still $3300 or so (plus addressing inevitable leaks at that time) every 3 to 5 years.

Aren't those rentals though

>it's not even that nice though

$4000 for a clutch job is considered cheap?

Idjit galoots, the lot of ya

>established and proven
Lol ok pal

Shut up op that super speeders guy said his ferraris never run right.

It's pathetic and that's why you buy a cor fuckin vette. Screw the Italian tight wads with sticks up their asses and their stupid shit built engines and cars that can barely keep up with a corvette.

Eh, if Rob made me not want to own an exotic and stick to my porsches. I think my next car will be a 997 Turbo over a 360.

>77k
>two $4,000 clutch jobs
>$170 oil changes
>$370/ea rotors

nigga that car *is* expensive as fuck. It eats clutches for lunch. god forbid you need to replace a fucking headlight or you curb a rim. bmws are fucking expensive to maintain, ferraris cost thrice as much
>Ducati or MV
>exotic
lol, no.

360 is actually one of the most affordable Ferraris to own, and also one of the easiest to maintain.

The nightmare maintenance cost stories come from Ferraris like the Testarossa, which is on the opposite end of the spectrum on both counts.