I'm looking to buy a used sports car that's stick shift...

I'm looking to buy a used sports car that's stick shift. I'm 25 and been driving a 99 Toyota Corolla for 9 years and I'm tired of having it.

Any suggestions?

I was looking at a cool looking eclipse. But I read in an article that said it's predominantly a car that women drive. The newer bubbly models look girly but the older models looks cool.

Was also looking to get a Mazda rx 7 or 8. They look kickass.

But I've always wanted an Audi. Maybe an A4 or a cool S4.

Ford mustang was my #1 choice but my gf just bought one so now I don't wanna copy her lol.

What would you guys recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9vZpNQUIqIg
youtube.com/watch?v=Wg4s4CEUliA
youtube.com/watch?v=fn6DLpe8xNE
youtube.com/watch?v=KVBLU1fhqnY
newhaven.craigslist.org/search/cta?auto_make_model=pontiac fiero
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get an aw11, op

>Eclipse
Good car if you wanna say you don't have a miata.
Aftermarket isn't huge, only reason to get one would be if you can get one of the higher trim 4 cylinders or one with a v6
>Rx7/8
rotaries are fun, however your MPG will be on the high side 15 mpg. If gas isn't an issue, I'd pick this.
>Audi
Don't buy euro cars unless you have money to fix them. Parts for euro cars are across the board more expensive than a comparable japanobox or american counterpart.
>Mustang
cheap american muscle, not too great in the corners but fast on the straightaways.

If you're wanting to stay american, look into one of the 80s/90s Foxbody cars, or one of the Focus hatches.

If you're going Japanese, you've got more options. Look at the z32, MR2, miata :^), or anything else that catches your eye.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. Personally I'd probably grab the eclipse. Depends mostly on your budget, as a clean one will sit around 4k provided you're not in Cali.

Nice I'll look into some of those cars thanks

Fiero. MASSIVE aftermarket support and THE BEST fan community out there, period.

youtube.com/watch?v=9vZpNQUIqIg
youtube.com/watch?v=Wg4s4CEUliA
youtube.com/watch?v=fn6DLpe8xNE
youtube.com/watch?v=KVBLU1fhqnY

My neighbor has that car lol. It does look cool. I was hoping to find something a little newer but I'll keep that in mind as I search. Thanks

Camaro?

Auto or Manual

>wants a sports car
>seriously considers a Mitsubishi Eclipse
Summer is real.

Can you please stop? These are so fucking rare. It's literally easier to find an AW11 than Fiero. I know its you, the same guy shilling them. Stop it. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Maybe if you stopped presenting this in such an obnoxious manner I'd actually be on your side.

>eclipse
life ain't like midnight club lad

>eclipse
>sports car
>posts 3rd gen
Wew

He said stick

Dah fuck are.you talking about can't turn.
Mustangs turn just fine.

Miss that game ;(

What's a sports car? 2 door v6+ ain't?

I have a 2001 GT Eclipse that I totaled
I also have a 2003 GTS Eclipse that's OK, I guess
They're OK cars but get absolute shit mileage. The shit that I hate the most is that the fuel filter and all that other small shit is integrated into one and that they fucking placed it into the gas tank (fucking retard japs). They're also cheap as shit compared to Subarus
>2001 GT cost me $1,500 + $800 to completely fix
>2003 GTS was $2,500. No fixes needed but $80 to fix wobbly steering wheel
If I ever need parts to fix the 2003 GTS (Oxy sensors or starter), I have my totaled GT to take these parts from since those parts where brand new

all in all, is OK car. shit mileage+meh/10

> posts picture of heavily modified race car

>Fiero
>rare
wut
newhaven.craigslist.org/search/cta?auto_make_model=pontiac fiero

I've owned 3 Mitsubishi Eclipse, and a Toyota celica so I can talk about them a bit.

2g eclipse: I owned a 1999, was an ok car. Interior quality was awful, but every electronic still worked. Windows rattled, rear hatch wouldn't open without someone lifting as I pushed the hatch release...not kidding about the build quality here lol. Door handles are another issue with them. Was really reliable mechanically, total cost of ownership was $12 for a thermostat.

Celica GTS: from the 2g eclipse I moved onto a 2003 celica GTS. Felt a bit slow around town but would fly on the highway. Build quality was good but reliability was awful, engine blew with only 136k miles.

3G eclipse: after the celica "experience" I bought a 2003 gt spyder. This was a much better car than the 2g, the chassis was 30% stronger and you could feel the difference in corners. The v6 was a pain in the ass to do general maintenance on but was reliable. Total cost of ownership was $30 for a motor mount. Also build quality was better than the 2g in every way. Visually imo the worst looking eclipse.

4g eclipse: my current car (along with a 2015 lancer) and pic related. So far my favourite eclipse, went back to the 2g visually but has superior build quality. Interior is comfy, had lots of standard features (heated seats is appreciated in Canada), and the Sirius series engine 4g69 is essentially a 4g63 with an updated top end with MIVEC valve timing and lift.

An Eclipse is not a sports car.

True it's clearly a pick up truck.

No idiot it's an airplane duh.

>he doesn't recognize a boat when he sees one

According to Mitsubishi it's an "affordable exotic" whatever that means.

According to a carfax its called a sports coupe.

So clearly it's a train.

It might as well be for the shit gas mileage and massive body roll.

Unless you're talking about the 2G with the turbo 4G63. I would consider that a sports car.

>one area has more MR2fags than Fierofags.
>hurdurr Fiero is rare gaiz!
No it isn't retard. You just need to look slightly outside your area.

That is way more than slightly outside my area user.

Yeah, they turn just fine into pedestrians and trees

Not a single stock fiero for sale on my continent.

>living outside North America
shiggy.

The best manual shifters are in the Miata and S2000. It sounds like you want something more serious than a Miata, but try to include one in your test drive list – it has sharper responses than most of the other cars you’ve listed, and that has some value of its own. It’s a toy in all of the good and bad ways. The FR-S/BRZ are the closest equivalents with a roof. The RX-8 didn’t feel all that exciting, imo.

Also keep in mind, the more power you have, the less you’ll take advantage of a manual. You won’t need it as much and you’ll have fewer opportunities to row through the gears without getting arrested for felony speeding.

The Eclipse was on the Gallant’s platform, so it’s too heavy to be much fun. Audis and Mustangs are heavy, too. None of them are sports cars. BMWs are also heavy but they at least make good shifters (you might want to have the valve mod done – a lot of people selling used stick BMWs have already done it). The Z4 feels more like a sedan than a Miata in the way it turns (not as agile as it looks), but it might be fancy enough for you. And the engine’s great.

I drove a pre-2010 Eclipse occasionally in high school. Base trim. Only thing I remember about it was that the turning radius was ass. I was alternating between driving a BMW Z4, a Ram 1500, and a Mercury Villager, and the Eclipse was the most annoying to park. May have just been because I was a high school kid and shit at driving, but it is something to check if you get to test drive one.

Autobahn though

Cheap V8's everywhere though

but can FF be good?

I knew somebody with one, mid-2000s. Same with the turning radius, also he spent way too much money on repairs. From what I hear the Honda and Toyota equivalents are much better for durability and reliability.

No it wasn't because you were young, eclipse have a huge turning radius. You won't be making a U turn on a 2 lane road that's for sure.

Actually between the 2g, 3G and 4g the 2g handled the worst and had the most body roll. Remember the chassis was still not very strong in the 2g, it was 30% more rigid when they moved to the 3G and it increased again with the 4g (don't remember the number though). It's completely unfair to compare them to my 4g as my 4g has almost no body roll thanks to handling mods (tein suspension, eibach strut braces, etc) but going from a stock 2g to a stock 3G there was a huge difference, could take corners much faster and felt way more secure.

>pic of my old 2g

I'm probably not remembering my 3G very well. I owned it and a S2000 for a while, and every time I would drive the Mitsubishi it felt like I was in a boat.

>But I've always wanted an Audi. Maybe an A4 or a cool S4.

Don't even go near an S4. The first gen 2.7 biturbo is an absolute reliability nightmare, and the later 4.2 is even worse. If you really like the A4 just get a plain ol' bulletproof 1.8 turbo and boost it to oblivion.

Be warned though, even if the engine does well, the rest of the car can be a bit of a hassle sometimes, so expect to spend some extra cash on it. On the flipside, when the maintenance is up to date and the car is running fine, it feels like a million dollars.

What are the Honda and Toyota equivalents?

The Acura Integra, Acura RSX, Honda Prelude, Toyota Celica, and Scion tC.

Eh they feel like bigger cars than they are, I think it's a variety of reasons: turning radius, seating is so low, lack of visibility, etc

They are in my opinion more of a grand touring car, something to cruise in. The 03 celica I owned felt like such a small car compared to all of them, and handled more agile. It's a shame the engine blew in the celica, I really liked the car but the reliability was not good at all. I always find it funny when people talk about Mitsubishi and not being reliable, my mitsu's have been nothing but reliable and I drive them all through Canadian winter.

Mine was reliable all the way up to the transmission grenading, but that was due to shoddy work done by a shop. I should have just replaced the clutch myself.

Different user but none in my state, for sale, are stock or in good condition. Seen Sciroccos in better condition. Plus mr2 is more reliable and cheaper. At least they exist unlike 240sx in this state. Ive seen import ae86s and a 180sx but never seen a 240sx.

What would it be in cali? Californian Herr trying to figure how fucked this economy is

Wtf are you talking about, I live in Edmonton Alberta and there's one like every 5 houses.

every car in Cali is fucking overpriced to shit

Because of smog ?

Firebird or Camaro

3rd gen eclipse is the worst car I have ever had to deal with

Lol, guess someone doesn't know how to drive. Mustangs are no problem in corners. I have a manual 06 GT and have had no problems maneuvering sharp turns quickly relative to the angle of the turn and compared to other cars. And if you're someone with a FWD vehicle, you're more likely to lose control in a corner than I am. At least if I break my driven tires loose I can still steer the vehicle.

The only problem, admittedly, is heavy rain. Not light rain. But when it's pouring the back end is way easier to break loose if you aren't careful. But who in their right minds would want to drive fast or race when in weather like that?