Saw this car while working. No idea what it is but it looks neat

Saw this car while working. No idea what it is but it looks neat

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kzW_ERSgFRY
youtube.com/watch?v=9D9YgMD85OM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Citroen DS
They ARE very cool cars. Look into them some time, you'll be very intrigued for sure. They're completely different and super innovative compared to anything else of their time.

I wonder how much ownership of a DS is in the states. If OP wants a kick, check out the suspension. Many still consider them to be the best riding cars in the world.

Literally max comfy: the car. Based as fuck.

Better yet is that it isn't the American version.

Already left the area. What makes it special?

Guy across the street said it was French when I was taking pictures. Year 69

Its suspension was (and still is) one of the most unique suspension systems ever. Basically it doesn't feel like you're driving a car, it feels like you're hovering above the road but without feeling floaty and numb. It's incredibly comfy.

see also, the reason was because the suspension comprised of both liquid and gas chambers. The liquid provided resistance (liquids dont compress), and iirc, sat in a reservoir above an inflatable gas-bag thing, which allowed the gas/liquid to work together smoothing out all the bumps (by compressing the gas) but still giving good feel (via the liquid).

There are some videos of them going over like plowed fields and shit, and the cab sits almost completely still while the wheels bounce around over the furrows.

Here's a Jay Leno video on the car.

youtube.com/watch?v=kzW_ERSgFRY

Liquids are compressible, just not very much so. jsyk

That yard is entirely clover. It's not even grass anymore, lol.

Yeah, I was trying not to run on too long. I guess I should have said "relatively incompressible."

thanks

One of the suspension... things? arms? hydropneumatique globes?

and the whole thing

Neat

most comfy car period but how reliable are they

Not too bad if maintained.

Some things are an absolute pain to work on though, all the hydraulics are very complex for its time and the engine is buried somewhere deep down in the engine bay.

That ain't the SM, the SM is completely unserviceable unless you're some Aztec shaman meddling with dark magics or some shit.

BE AFRAID MOTHERFUCKER

The SM is pretty much the epitome of French madness. Dead fucking sexy though.

I know, I'd so want to own one, but fuck me if I can be bothered to sacrifice my whole family to the dark gods to get that bitch maintained.

And you people thought the jaaags and BMW V12's were bad.

Jag V12s aren't necessarily difficult, there's just a lot of stuff which makes it seem really daunting.

A front mid-engine, front wheel drive, Maserati V6-powered, hydropneumatic French sports luxury car sounds like both the best and worst thing ever.

>saw this car, no idea what it is
>takes a picture of the rear
>has the logo and model on the back

Are you retarded?

you can't compress hydraulic fluid, it's hydroscopic so it has better properties.

>the chauffeur drove DeGaulle's bullet riddled car away from the ambush at high speed
>with four fucking flat tires
Frog space magic I swear.

And don't forget, they introduced this car in 1955. This is the car that came before it; they were still building Traction Avants in 1954.

Citroen had a goddamn paradigm shift when they rolled out the DS. It was that much of a jump forward.

Particular enfasis on the sound bit:
youtube.com/watch?v=9D9YgMD85OM