Why is 12 such a common number in history?

12 Nordic gods who sat on 12 thrones
12 Greek gods
12 Roman gods
12 tribes of Israel
12 apostles
12 signs of the zodiac

Great digits, great question.
All in all, great post

11 is too little and 13 is too many.
12 is just right.

i dunno lol

12 get

Because once the Gregorian calendar was made, all other mythology was changed to fit the 12-structure.

Base 12

12 is a magic number

Because 12 months

You have twelve knuckles on each hand, not counting the thumbs. There's also about twelve lunar cycles a year.

I should also point out that were FAR more than twelve gods in both the Roman and Greek pantheon. Hell, the triad was more important to Romans.

Divisible by 2, 3, and 4, and 6.

So nice.

Indo-european universal I would guess

the earth, sun, and moon complete 12 cycles (resulting in 12 months and 4 seasons) before they repeat

also chek'd

also
>12 posts in this thread before me

The European gods are essentially the same twelve gods with different names.

Though there are more than twelve gods, there's just twelve rulers.

Nice get by the way.

Which triad.

Jupiter, Neptune and Pluto?

I thought the goddess Juno was arguably the most important deity.

(You)

Juno Jupiter and Minerva

>the earth, sun, and moon complete 12 cycles (resulting in 12 months and 4 seasons) before they repeat

There are more than 12 "moon cycles" per year, either ~12.3 or 13 depending on how you define it. And seasons are just arbitrary divisions, there isn't actually 4 of anything.

Oh right.

I think the seasons are based on crops life cycles.

oh shit bro oh shit
i think you just unlocked the secrets of life.

again
what if we die for six months and then come back to life in the spring? or maybe less out there and more seriously, our observation of patterns (in nature) creates divisions that are literal divisions of time. "time" only exists because we notice it.

Because twelve is actually 1100 and the higher cosmic forces like to get doubles.

>Why is 12 such a common number in history?
While you could have (probably) provided more examples you only gave 6 examples all pertaining to ideas of ideology, hardly common.

Anyway, to answer your question it's all thanks to the earliest records we have of myth and religion.

All of our western religions are based on this """"""probably"""""".

>ideology
blegh
Theology.

This. Much better than 10 tbqh.

All ancient religions draw heavily from astrology and there are 12 sectors (Aries, Taurus, etc.) of the ecliptic.

newer religions had to have some traits of the older in order to recruit believers from the older order. you can see this pattern in christianity and its copy of judaism, judaism and its copy or zoroastrianism. 12 was a number that got passer around. or perhaps just like shamanism developing the same ideas in total isolation this number might be hardwired into us

I heard that 12 people are the amount of close friends humans tend to have when living in a more tribal society, like the theory that humans are only capable of knowing about 500 people by name and remembering different character traits for them

Because of Egyptians and their obsession with base 12.

No

>Theology
Mein Gott, you know it is pure theology, right?

12 has so many dividers it's silly. 6, 4, 3, 2, plus the usual self and 1. This means that stacking things into dozens just made sense, you could easily grab a half, a third or a quarter. No other number before has this property, and the first number after it is 24, which is too much

Because babylonian mathamatics counted in units of 12

Fucking obvious.

12, 360, and 60 all come from the Babylonians.

> 12 months in a year
> 360 days in a year (roughly), so 360 degrees in a circle

Check em

>4
>Not just 2^2
>6
>Not just 2x3
Only prime numbers matter.

What the fuck? Do you guys not know what seasons are? You think their arbitrarily? What kind of uneducated Neanderthal are you?

>What is the solstice
>What is the equinox

Jupiter, Quirinus, Mars was the actual original triad, Juno and Minerva only came after the etruscan influence.

>seasons are just arbitrary divisions

The dawn of New Man approaches, we shall sever our ties to nature and to reality!