/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Shrt Edtn
>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud:soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_pattern
tools.aggydaggy.com/#
pastebin.com/iafqz627
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev
yoyogames.com/gamemaker
godotengine.org/
haxeflixel.com/
love2d.org/
unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
unity3d.com/
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/
strawpoll.me/11027307
youtube.com/watch?v=OT3HxcZDLYo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for doggydev

Posted in the dead thread.
Let's say there's a bunch of objects that have to move in a certain pattern. Should these objects contain their own pattern or should it be held in a manager?

man I don't mind anime op but at least try to make it gamedev related

Can we have a minute of silence

>qts aren't relevant to lewd jam
user pls

neither, send each of them a command
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_pattern
if you're using C# this is easily done with delegates
in java it's done with streams

Made the bare basics of a turn-based combat system.

Here are the things you forgot:

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

You stole my battle system idea.

I mean, I can't exactly complain since I'm a nodev, but still.

Making the tall rectangle flash white was going to give me a seizure with a box at that size, so it will use the toned down version. Ice Block is also now functional [again] with improved hit detection. It can block projectiles [fire attacks 1 shot it] and hinders enemy movement. Also damage enemies if it spawns inside of them or falls on top of them. Now to plan out the thing's attacks.

Will i become a gay if i start coding? I heard u may become a gay if u do so. Pls answer quick, very important.

alot of people think this but its not true, it's just a correlation. in reality you turn gay if you dont finish a game.

decided to get the menu basics done now to save some headaches later - a lot of graphics are wip, but easily swappable
i'll add either gamepad layout types or custom layout configuration somewhere down the line

why do you have frameskip?

what kind of weapon the player is supposed to have to do attacks like those?

it's for maximum toaster-compatibility

I wish I knew where to even start with at least making UI graphics that slick.

m8

dude, I have a mechanic suggestion for you. when the umbrella is open, let the player tap a button to have the character blow up into it giving them lift.

He's supposed to be using magical based attacks. The idea is he's using a catalyst that can change shape. The magical-slash/physical attacks are supposed to be the only actual attacks where he uses the catalyst itself as a weapon though.

>tfw can't dev because obseesed with playing weeb bait pandering games on my vita

Cool. Hope you'll find good artist.

The Wikipedia definition is kind of obtuse can, can you provide a better definition?

You've always been my favorite dev just for having a very clean and observable debug information. I imagine you have a (relatively) good debugging experience.

>tfw addicted to smite

I wish blender wouldn't be so tsundere with me this morning.

>tfw addicted to spuds

>60 thousands lines of debug info
>clean

if you abandon too many games you literally get cuckolded

don't lose your head over it

rather than create a class that handles all the movement for all your enemies, create a class that creates an object/function that dictates how the enemy moves and then give that to the enemy. This way you can easily switch it out, modify the AI and have each enemy react individually. It's a much cleaner way to do it.

Don't tell me what to do

Modeling hands is bullshit.

didn't you abandon your one and only game because you got cuckolded

thanks
the umbrella is already a massive boost towards the jump distances, so i am not sure if extending that even further is a good idea
thanks for feedback though

>random qt
at least try to use one of agdg's cuties.

Added enemy that dodges player attacks. It has wan mirrion hp just for testing purposes and graphics are obliviously placeholders. It's really annoying to fight against and there are still some bugs in it's AI.

Waiting for my artist to come up with something.

Next I'll add blocking enemies.

>one of agdg's cuties.
I would if we had one

no I abandoned it because I was too busy being in love with my qt ex
I got cucked because I abandoned a game. don't worry though I'm making a new one!

>box
>make flat rectangle
>loop cuts, 3x3x3
>shrink bottom loop to create palm
>extrude fingers

Thanks anons. And yeah, I don't know how I'd live without the debugging info text.

how new?

You should work on your game more instead of dogposting on /agdg/

>how to make shitty model

If I wanted to half ass it, I'd be done with my game by now.

Only if you plan on becoming a top notch coder.

Bunny isn't cute though.
I've most likely been here longer than you.

Depends. You might avoid that by making lewd games that arent full homo.

Otherwise you might become a gay.

Megaman Battle Network for old people?

The you just have bad taste. Got it.

>Bunny isn't cute though.
You crossed the line.
Leave and never come back.

Nigga, if it's troubling you, than start simple and work your way up.

That's fine user, the game is only gonna be a small demo with 3 levels. I'm doing it to learn rather than to release something commercial, so get back to working on yours.

wwwww

If your game worked on both ways, platformer or top down, which one would you choose ?

both at the same time

topdown. Plaftormer market is oversaturated.

Synopsis: Programmer, Artist, Musician and Ideaguy venture together into dungeon of dev. There they'll have to battle chadbros, their mother and even depression to reach the end and finish their game.

Different (arguable) bullet patterns generated on button press.

The hell is happening in that gif?

Top-down. Not enough of them out there.

Make it likem Blaster Master on NES. Some parts are sidescroller and some are topdown (well more like in zelda but still)

Well, all the clutter models i've done so far are having the intended effect, I figure if I make perhaps 50% more of them it will really start feeling like a exploration cabin. (Need clutter like tools, have none of them right now).

But man, do I hate that you can't "recenter" objects in UE4. I often model things in sets, for example 8 different food cans. But they are separated in the FBX scene so that they can easily be textured, but when imported into UE4 every separate model has its pivot point offset by how much the model was offset in the FBX scene.

§I could save literal hours if anyone know a easy fix for this.

quick, molyneux me a simple gameplay idea that would only involve clicking

except with cute girls

tree growing simulator where you decide where to grow branches so you can best house woodland creatures
basically sim tower, but a tree

A cursor PvP game where damage is done by clicking on the other cursor

Bunnydev here, I've been thinking about the control scheme settings.
Should I make a sort of test track so the player can try the controls to pick the one that feels the best?

strawpoll.me/11027307
strawpoll.me/11027307
strawpoll.me/11027307

I have to work on a prototype for a 2D menu-heavy game in Unity. Do you guys use any Tweening assets from the store?
I see that iTween and DOTween are the most popular.

Basically it's to make all those animations that bounce around when you press buttons and shit.

Here I was, proud of my gui/menu progress, and you post this.

Fund it

That sounds much easier to implement. I'll give it a shot,thanks.

I find it better to use normalized functions and coroutines rather than deal with that

a diablo clone

What the fuck man there is literally "Import transform" setting in mesh editor that let's you do exactly that. Set new values, reimport (there is a button for that, don't throw the mesh out and then put it back in.)

Also when you import in all those useful settings that lazy fucks skip there is also Import Transform tab. So you can recenter your meshes when you import them.

Seriously did you think they centered every model at Epic instead of adding this to their engine?

a lot of devs end up being trans, it's a serious risk. I'd estimate there's a 15% chance you'll end up in panties.

yeah, doing it by myself shouldn't be too hard. But there are 2 reasons why I want to use something already made:
1. I will work with artists, so they can change the behavior later if they like, easily, without me having to setup a lot of editor stuff.
2. It's supposed to already work without bugs.

But thanks for your input though.

>Decide to take a break from gamedev to focus on coding and webdev
>Only been a week

Well here I am again.

>It's really annoying to fight against
Do you think it'll make for an interesting challenge rather than frustration?

Local game dev competition, have up until the 31st of october or so, can possibly win fully paid trip to GDC, any ideas guy wanna do some free work?

A drop-down of easing type enums will take all of 10 seconds and easing functions are already well documented and not prone to non-obvious bugs

this is LITERALLY an ass-kissed award-winning mobile game already.
youtube.com/watch?v=OT3HxcZDLYo

I have question about blocking.

I was thinking about making 2 types of blocking enemies
>with normal shield, has 2 blocking stances, low and high and if you do high attack and it blocks it with high block, you can do low attack and damage the enemy
>with tower shield, blocks both low and high attacks

And then magical variants of those which can block spells too. How does this sound?

It takes some time to get used to. If I set HP value to like 100 or something (so they can take around 5 hits) I can kill them without getting hit once, so they are not complete bullshit (even without using spells, which will make the fights easier). It just feels annoying because they are only enemies currently that aren't like braindead.

you know what I hate though? when you add the skeletal mesh component to a Character, you have to rotate it 90 degress and lower it to the floor. And you even have to do that with their own Mannequin guy. Why the hell didn't they just build that shit so it's facing the right direction to begin with?

People underestimate the love of A E S.

>Nicely ask for help
>One guy not even having read the post calls me names while describing how to fix an unrelated problem
>I'm the lazy fuck

Sometimes I forget I'm on Veeky Forums.

The problem was that since the meshes separating on import caused a "reimport" request to import the whole model back in previous versions, I'm glad to see that they apparently fixed this recently in blender since I can now properly import sub-meshes from an fbx made in it which is something i previously was unable to, so you misunderstanding my question actually helped me in the end.

Now I just need to go back and re-export and import all models made with previous versions of blender, which thank god is only like 7.

Music popped into my head and it took me a full five minutes to identify where it came from. A short and simple, but pretty MIDI track for a collab I spend a long time following, years ago.

One day the forums it was hosted in collapsed, causing the loss of much work followed by the death of the project. It fills me with a vague feeling of melancholy that's hard to shake off.

Here's a moment of silence to all the dead games out there, to all the devs who didn't make it.
Time wants them forgotten. They will not be.

>he hasn't gotten himself a deal with a publisher yet

> he got a deal with black shell media

so much this.

Seriously dude try ask around on reddit the community there is so much better not to mention they're not a bunch of racist and sexists

fuck Veeky Forums

They're not even a publisher, are they?

The bar for mobile games is incredibly low because of shovelware and megacorp freemium bullshit. Anyone who cares about mobile games enough to give them awards is going to absolutely asphyxiate themselves on any sort of passable art game that isn't aimed at ADD riddled children or designed to jew you every 10 seconds.

Also, the creators are probably the typical Seattle hipster crew who are friends with the right people and can get their game promoted by reviewers and award groups. Or yanno, they paid for the publicity.

I thought they marketed/published

Grow a pair you fucking pussies

Holy shit motherfucker. I just noticed that your characters use the umbrellas for, well, everything.

I was going to make a game about umbrellas too, with a completely different mechanics, however. You're not gonna sue me are you
>try ask around on reddit the community there is so much better not to mention they're not a bunch of racist and sexists
Kill yourself or just fuck off back to r*ddit, newfriend

they do marketing and PR
basically shills for hire, not publishers

>Le old everyone is always mean on Veeky Forums and all communities must be mean 24/7, and if you comment on someone making an ass of themselves you need to grow a pair LEL aint I random and edgy?
>Its on old reddit meme but it checks out

I never understood why spoopy consistently get this amount of hate. Except for the reposts has he done anything but actually sticking to his project for a long time? Why does he trigger nodevs so much? His game isn't even that impressive compared to alot of the other yesdevs here-

*slow claps and steps out of the shadows*

well well well... if it isn't reddit... I thought I might see you here

Are you still crying
Are you done

sounds like a publisher to me