Is he right? "Laughter was something considered for the lower orders" seems like a ridiculous claim to me...

Is he right? "Laughter was something considered for the lower orders" seems like a ridiculous claim to me, but it could be true.

How come Shakespeare wrote so many comedies, then?

Maybe in England. English elites were incredibly stuck up no fun allowed puritans while French writers were perfecting the art of irony.

Maybe at one point among the English aristocracy but I'm not an expert on that.

I do know a bit more than the average person about Scottish nobility and royals and since the early 15th century Scottish kings would pal around with common people and booze up and tell jokes and stuff. James V even owned a joke book. So his use of "British" is probably mistaken.

Well the British are pretty much lower classes: the nation, so it all makes sense.

Comedy was considered something extremely primitive, a cheap entertainment for plebeians and actors pretty much had the social status of prostitutes and beggars in the medieval world, not worshipped celebrities like nowadays.

If you go to /pol/ on infinitychan they will even tell you that comedy is a Jewish invention (it's really Greek, but I understand where they're coming from with that claim).

>comedy is a Jewish invention
Bullshit, but goddamn are they good at it.

I talk about the dark humor because it is the kind with the least consensus, contrary to the genre burlesque or grotestque.

You have a disrespect towards a thing (which makes you laugh) which is, in itself, not funny for most people, and even worse, a thing which is a pain for the person bearing the hardship. This is disrespect towards a sacred thing by somebody not involved. Ex: a famous massacre from WW2: the german soldiers cooked the local baker in his oven. The germans were hysterical. this is funny. It is so sad, that your indignation becomes coated in the ridiculous. Sometimes we can find sadism as well in a laugh. With dark humor, you trace a frontier between the event and your self. This is a revolt. If the sad person manages to have a laugh at his predicaments, it only shows a strong personality IMO.

Nonetheless, you can find a notion of respect as well. Let's recall that a (dis)respect always implies a step back, a distance, from a thing, of the person showing respect to that thing. The previous paragraph talked about a layer of humor tacked on some tragic, some horror, some misery. Some call this the bitter laugh instead of a dark humor. In other words, we attach a seriousness to the human condition, to the life, to the universe but choose to laugh about it. With the bitter laugh, we elevate ourselves from the reality for The reality is a serious business beforehand.
By the new definition of a dark humor, on the contrary, we could say that the reality is absurd, an absurdity that we cannot grasp in full and even bear.
There are two cases: to laugh when we should whine, to whine when we should laugh.
On the one hand, with the bitter laugh, we can laugh from something, but instead we should have cried about it. On the second hand, we cry about something whereas we should laugh about it, we should mock the reality, the human destiny. The tragic does not exist, it was mystification from the outset. This is the entry point of the respect.

They're good in producing low brow garbage for idiots, really. Think Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Rob Schneider, Mel Brooks (all Jews) etc, it's really pretty plebeian entertainment full of slapsticks, tranny jokes and fart jokes.

The only exception to this is Woody Allen and he comes off as pretentious if anything.

>only exception to this is Woody Allen

>British aristocrats didn't care a damn about what people thought of them
I'm pretty sure that's absurdly wrong on so many levels.

the smuggest

Everyone knows Shakespeare's plays were meant to entertain plebs, user.

Woody Allen's humor draws on high literature, he alludes to Russian authors as well as Kafka very often. The ones you mentioned were influenced more by the Western tradition of humor.

Mel Brooks is funny as fuck- fuck you

Gene Wilder is funny as fuck*

Go to bed Mel

Pic related are a curious example. Because their comedy films are mostly very broad, while their dramatic films are mostly very subtle. But ultimately, they do seem to adhere to that stereotype.

The Aristocrats loved Aristophanes what are you on about?

>Brooks
>grouping him in with Sandler

What the fuck are you even on about? You are cherry-picking like a mother fucker. "wow black comedians are superior and more highbrow than anglos, just compare Hannibal to Larry the Cable Guy"

see? wow that was so hard, and I didn't even have to come up with an argument. Your post is the logical equivalent to those image macros that compare Queen's Bicycle lyrics to Kanye West songs and call Queen stupid, only redirected at Jews instead of 70's rock music.

>le awkward moment nervous chuckle comedian

In 50 years time people will understand he wasn't that talented.

Personally I find humor dangerous, it disarms people to concepts and ideas that they would normally, and rightly so, be offended and disgusted by. Humor has only degraded the human intellect and conscience.

>I find humor dangerous

I find you dangerous

Jon Stewart used humor to inflect his political ideology into a generation.

Humor has been used to push social boundaries and make the profane acceptable. Various society advanced partly because of thoughtfulness and reservation.

> it disarms people to concepts and ideas that they would normally, and rightly so, be offended and disgusted by.

So considering perspectives you hadn't considered before is a bad and anti-intellectual thing?

Mel Brooks is also smart as fuck.

Only for Anglos.

I'm a long time viewer of the daily show and have lived stand-up comedy (people like carlin and Lewis black) all my life.

None of them have "converted" me to their ideas, they just make me laugh.

Anyone who is so retarded that they change their political views solely because of a comedy show instead of self reflection and research is probably so stupid they are already either subscribing to Republican/Democratic parties who color-code their choice to pick on the multiple choice paper for them.