Investing or Starting a business

If you have to choose one to learn, which would you choose and why?

You're investing when you start a business.

If you said "If you had to choose between saving your money and investing it in the stock market or just putting all of your effort and money into a business" then I would choose the latter. Nobody on this board is an investor. You need millions to be a legitimate investor. Starting a business is the much easier route that is much more likely to pay off while you're still young.

just shillin URRE dont mind me.

I did the investor route while a friend of mine did the biz route. We both started off similarly and from a net worth perspective, we're now the same after many years.

But he's working just as hard as before, but on things he cares about. He can't/won't invest in anything but his biz, which is understandable. And he's not living the high life, the salary he takes is small.

OTOH, my investments now pay my bills and I'm planning on taking a couple of years off soon. But I've really got nothing I'm super excited about in the future, just getting another wage kek job if I want. I could start a biz of my own, sure. But comfort is the enemy of success, as they say.

So you tell me, which situation would you want? Both are different.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the main difference is that you can start certain types of businesses without almost any money, whereas you need a rather decent amount of money for investing to be worthwhile. How much money did you start with? I'm sitting on about 3000 EUR that I can use up.

No inheritance or lottery winnings here, I started from zero just like most people. But I made good coin as a developer and lived small which helped.

I don't understand, how exactly did you invest zero dollars and make a profit?

Lol, that's not what I meant. Of course I used money. But, it was all from my own savings from my job, collecting little by little, starting from zero.

But my first larger investment was a rental, probably about 20k down plus another 10k on a zero interest cc for materials on the reno. That's really when things started to take off

But 3k is enough to start an index fund.

This post brough tears to my eyes. Thank you for the /motivation/ user :)

yeah, idk what the obsession is with daytrading, its literally gambling, while creating a business requires work, you actually have control of the outcome with enough research and work ethic.

You absolutely do not need millions to be an investor. Just hundreds of thousands and dilligent planning. My partner makes roughly 100 grand a year simply trading occasional event drive trades he's exceptionally confident of the directional fundamental results on. I'm positive he's not risking any more than 200 thousand in the process.

>No inheritance or lottery winnings here, I started from zero just like most people. But I made good coin as a developer and lived small which helped.

Do you feel like you need a certain personality to be successful renting to people? I'm a stereotypical /g/tard and I feel like people would take advantage of me. I've saved up enough that I could buy a house, but just afraid of fucking it all up.

Depends on if you're managing the properties yourself. I did it for the first little while but after about 2-3 doors, it becomes a little much for one person to handle.

These days, I have a management company do it all. It helps you scale and allows you to buy where it makes sense rather than only in your immediate area.

I just want to make 3-5k/month from trading.

I really don't need anything else. How long should it take me to get to this point if I see 1% gains daily on my 70 dollars?

I'm just trading memes right now.

Incesting
Because it's much more chill

Thanks phone/freud
You know what i meant

It's my dream to get good enough at trading that I can travel across country trading stock at various cafes where I work on stocks for a few hours while sipping coffee and flirting with the waitresses and then having the rest of the day to do whatever the fuck I want.

Shkreli says it's easier to start a business than grow an investment through vanilla investing

you start a business when you invest.
you are literally buying and selling financial instruments.

ideally you should buy when prices are low and sell when they are high.

matter fact i would not recommend starting a business, til you have a sound understanding of investment.
will be a lot of wasted money wasted years and tears shed lerning the basics of investing .lol, trust me

I'd disagree with that completely. Starting a biz can be complex and risky, whereas vanilla investing is quite predictable over the longer term. Just keep stuffing money into it and you eel get there. Whereas you can start ten businesses and they all can fail.

Have you ever been successful in either venture? Shit son, if all you had to do to get rich investing was keep stuffing money into it, we'd all be billionaires right now

Yes I've started businesses and have done investing. The latter is far simpler. Again, just go to your job, save your money and that's it. No need to come up with products, pricing, get other people to help, worry about legal stuff, etc.

If small business is the way to start off, what fields would you guys most recommended? No meme products like vaping.

Vaping was a great market because it was up and coming and moving insanely fast, but it's shit after the new government regulations passed

I want to start a small event bartending business. I have experience bartending at weddings (worked for a very popular venue). It's a lot of fun, pay should be decent, little overhead. I just want to try running my own thing. Not looking to make this my life or anything. I'm an engineer so this would just be a practice run for some other kind of business down the road. And good experience

It's probably still worth investing in vaping companies desu. The demand is only going to go up with less companies on the market selling products

My family has already opened a vaping business and it's done ok, but it's not soaring. Any ideas on an easy certificate I could gain and possibly add to the business, since it's already set up? Honestly don't know how any single-genre business can survive anymore; seems like everything has to have multiple sources to mine from.

Business.

You have the potential to make more in the long term.

business cause it makes money better and gets bigger and other people can invest in it and I can be the head of it and get riches