How fucked am I

How fucked am I.
>driving down to work in car I just bought off coworker
>was 1grand
>was told car works fine, been in it before.
>paid for car but didn't transfer title over yet.
>breaks were shifty from the start,like you had to push all the way down for them to work (was a 92 honda)
>go to stop on highway, push down on breaks, they don't respond
>hit guy in front of me, minor damage to his bumper maybe moderate, but this shit happened to what I just bought yesterday.

So the cars not in my name, he has insurance, and old owner has aaa. The breaks didn't respond but they work, which is going to be hard to explain.

Tldr: hit a dude in new car, not in my name yet, it is covered by his aaa, what's going to happen to me/him.

sounds like they didn't bleed the brakes right, or the master cylinder is dying. did you feel resistance on the pedal or did it go right to the floor?

it's his car until you both take care of paperwork to change ownership.

consider it karma for him selling you a shitty car, and call it a day. Use his insurance money to buy a new, better car.

p.s. had it been a civic this would have not happened, let that be a lesson to you.

I'm going with master cylinder the same thing happened to me. I knew it was fucked but I drove on the highway regardless just at 50mph with 4 car spaces in front of me. I went to a friend's house everything was fine, on my way home the master cylinder just took a shit.

You know you can get insurance as soon as you have posession of the car, thats your first fuck up.

Anyways it largely depends on the insurance of the guy you bought it off of, which was the second fuck up on his part, not getting the insurance taken off the car before he sold it.

If he has insurance it'll depend on if it covers other people than the insured driver, if not the PO will probably say he wasn't the one driving and You'll be liable for the damages to the other car.

If it does cover other drivers than the insured policy owner, you may or may not be liable depends on how friendly you are with the PO.

Why the fuck would you buy such a shitty car? Should've driven it straight to the nearest mechanic.

Mechanical failures can't be used as a valid excuse.

If thats why it failed to stop then Insurance is going to go tell go fuck yourself, its on you.

is this a mid 90's civic? I've seen problems with master cylinders on all of their models cropping up in the last few years, possibly they sourced a bad part, or all the cars are collectively hitting the end of lifespan for the design.

Because I needed a car an he was selling his.
He has triple a insurance, I'm told it's pretty good.
So you think his will cover the damages?The pedal would go down pretty far before feeling resistance. Like the breaks for they just Didn't at that moment in time an I'm going to have a really hard time explaining things.

you know usually when you buy a shitty used car you go over the problems it has especially if it's part of stopping and going

keep that in mind next time

nope, looks like an accord

>The pedal would go down pretty far before feeling resistance. Like the breaks for they just Didn't at that moment in time an I'm going to have a really hard time explaining things.
that's got to be the master cylinder. tell a mechanic those symptoms and what you think is wrong, he will confirm it quickly and you can save time in the garage.

It's an accord, 92.

It does have 400k miles on it though.

Just becuase you're told its pretty good doesnt mean the guy you bought it from still didn't have bottom of the barrel insurance.

Giving you a fair warning I don't think this is going to end up well for you, the fact you were driving without insurance means you maybe screwed.

Honda shared brake components with all models.
ABS system of the same era from Honda is utter crap too.

So I'm having my wife's aaa tow it for me.

I got all his info and he got mine. I did not admit fault and he also got the title owners name and insurance.

I fucking hate life sometimes you know.

I'm just down a g. Sigh.

It's a thousand dollar car do you really think OP is gonna fix it?

OP Take this as a lesson not to drive a car with no brakes.

Damn man shitty deal but why are you buying a 1k junker anyway? You're married and u less you were trying to flip it for quick cash you've gotta reevaluate your life

being on Veeky Forums means totaling your car every time it needs to enter the shop, crash or not.

Damn that sucks

Looks strangely familiar

White car didn't have much room to open his door, had to be right on the line. Truck douche needs to learn how to park or drive a vehicle appropriate for fucktight parking garages, even if it means it doesn't compensate for his dick.

>I just bought off coworker
It's legally yours the minute you bought it. Even if you didn't go to the DMV yet. His insurance is going to decline coverage. Unless the true victim has uninsured motorist, he gets fucked too. Maybe he will sue you.

>Buys a shitty old car with shit brakes
>IMMEDIATELY gets on the highway with it, fully knowing the brakes don't work right

Get fucked OP. The crash is your fault and your fault alone. If it was in such a dangerous condition it should have been towed to the nearest shop to be fixed.

>was told car works fine

This is where you failed. First thing anyone should check when test driving is the fucking ebrake. Second is braking power & ABS. Third is braking power and ABS going backwards. You can do all three in a parking lot in less than 2 minutes.

>driving a car with abs

Hopefully you have some form of car insurance on another vehicle.
Some policys will cover you on a newly purchased car in between the time you register it in your name.

>How fucked am I.

You refused to say whether or not you had insurance, so that is rather dishonest of you in this thread. It is not because of the legality, but because our answers change based upon accuracy of your info.

Assuming that you are already insured for driving a car, your previous insurance will temporarily cover a new car you purchased in my state. I know since I asked my agent if I am covered when I am buying a new car and at what moment am i covered. He said I am fully covered, but to also officially inform him that I have the new car in my name as soon as the title paperwork clears. At that point, the costs of my policy will be adjusted to include the new car and my old car removed from coverage if I got rid of it.

Insurance has some flexibility. That is why if your car is in the shop for service, and you rent a car in the meantime, your insurance covers that rental car even though that type of car is not on your insurance policy. The monetary differences are all risk of losses the insurance company takes on when it accepted you as a customer.