From a logistical standpoint, how do we move on from the straight six engine...

From a logistical standpoint, how do we move on from the straight six engine? Is it possible for engineers to improve on such a perfect platform?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-UBAukXPD-0
youtube.com/watch?v=ihXV9mOncvs
youtu.be/3Y-Gdz6N-dU?t=4m7s
google.com/patents/US20110162599
twitter.com/AnonBabble

8 cylinders in a 90 degree V angle

already did

The v6 obviously
That's why the gtr has one instead of an oversized boat anchor l6, or the new Ford gt which replaces a shitty v8 with God tier v6

but muh torque and single exhaust

>dat god tier 60° V6

GM just can't compete

Boxer 6

but GM has made 60 degree V6's for like 40 years now.

>not making 130hp from a screaming V6

>not radial 6

didn't they have radian engines that rotated with the driveshaft, spinning around a central static shaft? get four of those and make wheels around them

>radian engines that rotated with the driveshaft
wouldn't that not move the driveshaft at all

i6 makes more torque than v6, which makes it good for trucks and shit
plus, v8>v6

the shaft to rotate the wheels isn't being propelled by the engine, just mounted onto the center of it. the assembly spins around a second shaft attached to a vehicle.

youtube.com/watch?v=-UBAukXPD-0
for reference

Cylinder configuration has no impact on torque.

with an I6 you get a longer stroke so that means more torque

Does a VR6 swap in an AE86 exist? I think it'd be interesting

But we already have the I5

just make the V6 bigger, and use really skinny front tires to give it room

Wrong

Understeer

Found the retard

Sorry, I meant hand built 60° V6 in a hermetically sealed workspace that's turbo charged sequentially by a twin setup, powering one if not the most advanced all wheel drive setup in the world

Seriously, GM can't compete

mid engine and a fat ass then?

Or just an I6

>I4 turbo

I can only dream ;_;
Eh, if only Tommy Kaira brought back the ZZ for a final run

This is correct

Stroke has absolutely no restrictions based on engine configuration

You are wrong.

Engine moment (torque for ... simpler people) is based on air combusted per cycle, which for NA engines is ANALOGOUS to engine displacement. See graph. Graph is my collection of a few hundred engines ranging from single cylinders to V12's.

I wonder what the ones above the mean line for lb/ft per cc do better? shaping of air channels?

So, if you want to play a game with this graph

If you have a NATURALLY ASPIRATED car:
Take a calculator
0.0762 x (Engine size in CC's) - 6.9
See how bloody close it is to your manufacturer rated lbf-ft torque.

Lines from the origin trending upwards are what's called BMEP. The mean line is the average engine's BMEP. It's around 11 bar (unit of pressure). An F1 engine will see ~14.3 bar. A NASCAR Cup engine will see ~14 bar. A Honda S2000 will see ~12 bar.

A high BMEP means you're inducing more kg of air per liter of displacement per cycle.

So, some examples
Corvette LT1: 6162cc
Formula guesses 463 lbf-ft. Chevy rates 460.

Honda K20Z3: 1998cc
Formula guesses 145 lbf-ft. Honda rates 139.

IT'S FUCKING MAGIC GUYS

Engines above the formula's guess have a Break Mean Effective Pressure higher than the average of the few hundred engines I averaged. Engines lower have a lower mean pressure.

Mean pressure is comparison of (basically) kilograms of air induced verses volume of induced air. More air in the same space = more torque = more power.

So on that, to achieve a high(er) BMEP, you need to do more things right.

Most "street" engines are crippled from ever achieving competition levels of BMEP due to:
Poor engine bore to valve area ratios
Poor cylinder head ports to valve areas.

They're both usually way undersized to make the engines drivable. No amount of bolt-ons will get your average engine above 13 bar BMEP.

youtube.com/watch?v=ihXV9mOncvs

I6's are known for smoothness and response, bench racers wouldn't know

not a fan of that star arm thing, looks like a lot of wear.

/thread

When will i6 turbo be the new normal?

An I6 block with 6 rotaries instead of pistons. Longevity+ultrahighrevs

Double dubs never lie. It will happen

60 degree v6

>90 degree v angle
isnt that just an L
L8 when

This.
I know it's already been said, but you two are so incorrect it hurts.
I6 configurations lend themselves to commercial applications, not for their ability to produce more torque, but in order to help balance the rotating mass of an engine large enough to achieve the desired output.

Ironically, one of the smoothest highway trucks still sold today is powered by a V6...

This.
youtu.be/3Y-Gdz6N-dU?t=4m7s
Inline sixes were made redundant over two decades ago.

>trucks still sold today
Even back in the day, the GM truck V6 shat all over the I6 offerings in other light trucks.

No but it does swap into a corrado perfectly

First new engine patent in 30 years (all others have been slight variations on current engine patents). I'd like to here thoughts on this.

google.com/patents/US20110162599 oops, heres the patent link.

know what else fits nicely?

So it's just a radial engine with two cylinders?

Acts pretty much the same.

Also what about the Duke Engine?

neat

Not exactly, a radial engine is very different. On this engine the pistons rotate around the bore while the bore is rotating the opposite direction. This Counterpoise Engine can have 16 pistons if need be, the patent shows 2 because the HP is similar to a 4 piston OTTO. The Duke over-hypes, and under-performs...

nigga u a gay bitch

samefagging has reached all time high