Where do I practice gitting gud...

Where do I practice gitting gud, so I don't end up like pic related or the people in one of the various videos of crashes:

youtube.com/watch?v=umWGoO-OFgo

As a German motoring enthusiast I'm pretty much obligated to do a lap around the Nordschleife at least once in my life. Hell, even my grandmother has been around it on a motorcycle a couple of times in her younger years.

Now, the Nordschleife isn't really known to be a beginner-friendly track, so where do I start? The only track around here isn't open to the public usually, no track days scheduled for the future. Our backroads and supermarket parking lots are either too narrow or deliberately set up in a way that makes it impossible to test the limits of a car in safe manner.

I really don't know where I could possibly practice regaining control of a car after unexpectedly losing it. I'm not talking about deliberate hektik skidz.

Driver safety trainings appear to be quite expensive for a couple of hours behind the wheel.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Zd2rW4_NZCdNJYFKpjfDMjH2ekud83o
youtu.be/SIYvkGJHr08
youtube.com/watch?v=jkQmXueWIio
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No better place to learn the Nordschleife but on the Nordschleife.

> so I don't end up like pic related

just don't buy a GM car and you're golden

I'd rather learn the car first before learning the Nordschleife.

Don't even start. Remember the gtr that thought it could fly?

Go on a weekday when there's less traffic and do your first few laps purposely slow. Stay to the right, keep an eye on your mirrors and most importantly don't get into any races with BMW morons. BMWs on the Nordschleife are piloted by an exclusive selection of the most brain-fried fuckheads you can find in the entire country.

Either streets or Nurb. Also there's a GP circuit too which isn't as demanding as Green Hell is so try there.

Just go easy. Practice on vidiya

well, you could said it indeed flies

>Implying vidya WAT skills transfer over to real life.

or this fucking thing

the memes were real

Why not just go to Nordschleife and drive 7/10 and work your way up to 10/10 over multiple visits?

Yeah no, I'd only consider vidya to learn the track.

>that filename

SHOTS FIRED

Because it's at the other end of the country and a lap costs 30 bucks. I don't want to spend 3 tanks of gas, an entire day and a couple times 30 bucks just to do my baby steps.

Went to the ring in a k10 micra with 4 people in it, just do it mane.

I'd say it would be worthwhile to learn where the turns are and the track layout using a wheel setup, pedals too if possible.

It would be a crude simulation.

You'd have to go elsewhere for car control.

Are there auto cross type events over there? Schools? Anything besides just track days?

Baby steps there will be more fun than anything else you can do behind the wheel...

We aren't telling you to only go 50 kph. Just brake early and accelerate a little slower out of the corners.

Brake fading is a bitch on the ring

Poland

>Are there auto cross type events over there? Schools? Anything besides just track days?
No, no and no, as far as I know. We can go as fast as we want on the Autobahn, but we can't use a parking lot for autocross on a sunday.

>Just brake early and accelerate a little slower out of the corners.
That's what I'd do on my first time anyway, but if shit goes south, I'd rather know how to react.

That wasn't flying, that was falling with style.

Okay. Now it will get a decent lap time.

>there are people who think the problem with this car was FWD

Just go to the nordschleife OP

learn the track by memory first, then get taken around by someone like the guys in the ring taxi

then rent a car, like those suzuki swifts. i've heard they're a lot of fun and you can't really go fast enough to hurt yourself, then rent a faster car and eventually get the courage to bring your own.

You'll be addicted, user.

r-garage also rents some nice cars.

same dilema op but i live in london
planning to go in july but going to treat it like a fast country road i am not familiar with, go slow i practiced in forza but kept crashing

1. Change your mindset and your expectations
If you're going to the Nordschleife thinking people expect you to do a record lap you've the wrong attitude to drive the Nordschleife to begin with. During all the Touristenfahrten all kinds of people are on the track in all kinds of cars. Slow Ferraris, fast Renault Clios, some vans, families in a bus, ...
Of course there'll be guys that tell you you or your car should do "under 8 min laps" or the obligatory "well, at least under 10" but you shouldn't really listen to anyone with that sort of "advice". The first laps should be driven easy, just to learn the track.

Vidya can help you memorize corners and sections. Onboard videos can give you an insight on the actual forces you'll experience, pay attention to passengers trying to stay in their seats. Crash videos can help you understand where and why mistakes might happen and how FWD or RWD react in different dangerous spots. Of course it'd help to know the section you're seeing so you can associate them with where you are on the track.
For example, I immediately notice that's in front of "Lauda Left" in OP's pic.

>I really don't know where I could possibly practice regaining control of a car after unexpectedly losing it. I'm not talking about deliberate hektik skidz.
>Driver safety trainings appear to be quite expensive for a couple of hours behind the wheel.
>I'd rather learn the car first before learning the Nordschleife.

That's the right way to do it. I don't know how much experience you have and how long you've got your license.

I had my first driver safety training with the ADAC (German Auto Club ...) directly after I got my license. I pursuaded my parents to invest into this safety training to be a safer driver and meanwhile (~ 15 years of driving) I had ~ 4 or 5 of these basic trainings, just to get to know a new car better or to understand how the car reacts after some coilovers, brakes, UHP tyres, ...
The trainings cost ~ 200 € for 8 hours (whole day) and I think the money is a really good investment. You'll learn a lot! And really a lot more than on some parking space or some backroads.

They're also a lot of fun.

OP, where are you from? How old are you and what do you drive?

Daily shitpost reminder :^)

That's the only reason I recommend it. I've never been, but it is worth using to get an idea of how fast you can go where. Choose the shittyesy tires and try to get a solid safe lap without drifting or pushing

>optional parts which are not street legal only in the japanese market

at least you tried

Is this the version that attacked the little boi?

It's good enough to learn the sequence of turns and corners.
On my first lap on the Nordschleife a friend, who has visited the track several times, tried to tell me the next corners and he mixed up left/right but from the vidya I knew the next corner so even though I was a bit confused I didn't wreck the car.

The GP circuit has lots of room left and right so you don't immediately crash into a wall, that's true. But it'll stress your brakes and tyres a lot more. Something to be considered.

LEL

>the optional parts are just a 6 point seatbelt and some flap that goes on the hood

top kek GM fangirls on suicide watch

You got me completely wrong, I don't want to be fast, I want to be safe. Even when taking it slow, the unexpected can always happen. Hit curbs wrong and you spin out, accelerate too early on a bad spot of tarmac and you spin out. I want to be able to catch the drift, if you catch my drift.

Almost 7 years. I'd consider myself a proficient driver at the very least. Went on a roadtrip across Europe a couple weeks after my 18th birthday.

Near Karlsruhe, pretty close to the Hockenheimring, 24, driving a shitbox, for now at least. So, the ideal car to take to the Nordschleife and not kill myself or my wallet. I have experience in somewhat powerful RWD cars though.

What has the gtr won lately ?

>gets BTFO
>l-let me quote IMSA protos

KEK

maximum assmad

cont.

2. During summer, holidays and weekends with superb weather, the Touristenfahrten will be full of people of all sorts as I said before. The tracktool drivers with 1000s of laps but also a Korean family in a rented van ...

The best time would be a nice evening during the week. Maybe ask around on the parking lot if someone's willing to take you on a ride as a passenger. But people might be afraid you could get car sick or they don't want to risk anything. You should also consider if you really want to get into the car with some lunatic ...

On your first lap, keep in mind it's not about the time.
It's about having fun and learning the track. You won't get the perfect line on your first laps anyway, so don't go full speed into blind corners (and there are a lot). If you feel overwhelmed or like it's no fun but work, you're doing it wrong and going to fast.

Some adrenaline is normal, though. ;)

You don't need to keep right all the time so you can get into corners at the best angle, but keep an eye on your mirrors and move to the right if there's a faster car behind you - and SIGNAL! They'll know that you saw them and that you'll make it safe to pass you. That way they'll be on their way fast than when they're trying to find out if they can pass you.

When you let someone pass, get of the gas and pay attention to the road ahead, don't watch the cool fast car in the mirror. Take notice of him and continue your lap.

Brake early but try not to stand on your brakes too loong. "Riding your brakes" will heat them up. Usually the Nordschleife offers a lot of opportunites to cool your brakes - though the downhill part can be hard on them and Wehrseifen (a tight corner before Breidscheid Bridge in Adenau, the lowest point of the track) is the most possible place to experience brake fading.
The pro will tell you to brake hard and short before a corner, but these people know exactly where to brake in order to have the best cornering speed. but...

cont.

Since you know neither your car/brake under heat and preasure nor the perfect cornering speed it's best to brake early enough, get of the brake and maybe adjust if you feel unsafe. Only go full throttle out of a corner when you know the next part of the track.

Sorry if it seemed like I was thinking you only wanted to go fast. I tried to keep it a bit general for all others in here, too. And from my experience a lot of people feel pressure to lap the Nordschleife as fast as possible. Can't say that I didn't.

As for the curbs: You can take some of them but I'd advise you not to take even one of the curbs. I probably need new wheels because I take the curbs.

Too bad you're not from around Hamburg. Would have invited you along when I visit the Ring the next time.

Since the topic of rentals came up:
I think you're doing it right, taking the shitbox to the Ring. There's no point in renting a track tool if you don't know the track. Also, it's a 9000 € debt on your credit card until they see that you brought the car back in one piece.

Veeky Forums ring meet when?

6 Expect slower cars even if you think you're going slow

There was a "good" example a few weeks ago where a Miata rushed through Hatzenbach into Hocheichen and there suddenly was a slow bike right in the ideal line. All he could do was brake in the middle of the corner, making the car oversteer and crash into the wall, just narrowly avoiding hitting the bike. The biker probably didn't even notice.

That's a problem when you're going at your ideal cornering speed into a corner you can't see in it's entirety.

I once went into Wehrseifen with relatively high speed and there was a BMW "parked" towards me after doing a 180. To this day I don't know how exactly I passed that car without crashing. Usually you drive on the inside, the BMW was right in the middle and within just 1 or 2 seconds I managed to change the line (that I had already planned seconds ago) to get passed him on the right side of the track.

There's no time to think just to react. Going full circle now: This reaction is what you learn at a driver safety training.

Thanks for the comprehensive guide to babby's first time in the Green Hell, although I'm fairly sure I've read/heard most of that already somewhere.

I'd never rent a car to take it to the track, I want to be comfortable and familiar with it. I'd rather risk my own car than risk someone else's car and my life in a car I don't know well.

I'm planning to get my hands on a GT86 in the near future and wanted to get my first hands on experience before upgrading to a car I'd actually regret wrecking.

Is that a fucking BUS taking the Karussell FULL ON!?

August 13th or 14th I could do.

I was listening to careless whisper while watching this.

Yeah you read the came tips a lot and of course experienced drivers will repeat "proven tips".
A good page to check out is bridgetogantry.com, Dale has some good tips for beginners. Check his facebook page aswell.
There are some other Touristenfahrten groups on facebook. Just don't ask stupid questions. Soak up the knowledge as it comes and learn from other peoples mistakes - as harsh as this might sound, you'll learn what they didn't.

GT86 is a nice car. A bit faster than a stock GTI though I thought my GTI is a bit better at handling (stock) but I had the DCC. The GT86 felt very "undefined" but not bad. Coilovers and a good setup by professionals with ("Radlastwaage" - important!) will make it a cornering machine!

Yes. Recently, if a bus is on the track, they'll have marshalls driving behind them with flashing lights, though.

Conefag is your only option

Here are some of my laps:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Zd2rW4_NZCdNJYFKpjfDMjH2ekud83o
Including my 3rd lap during my first visit. OP, maybe leave a comment and we might be able to meet at the Nordschleife one day.

>Are there auto cross type events over there?

Autocross is not really known in Germany, unfortunately.

What about the "not permitted to record videos" though? Do they not really enforce the rule or are you sneaky?

There's a fag in /ovg/ who has onboards from his miata going round the ring

Nah, if you're not putting the cam on the outside of your car they'll usually tolerate it.

Don't do anything stupid in front of the track crew, though. Specially at the entrance. No drivers switch/change in front of the barriers, no quick checks. They'lls send you off - to the back of the line. They'll remember you. Do something stupid again and you're out for the day. Act like an asshole and you don't need to bother coming back. I've seen people being send away for a lot of reasons. But having a cam inside the car? Never.

>careless whisper

try this

youtu.be/SIYvkGJHr08

>You can take some of them but I'd advise you not to take even one of the curbs. I probably need new wheels because I take the curbs.
why?

wheel is not exactly round anymore ...

>no acting like an asshole

what about all those guys in bmw compacts and e36's drifting all over the place?

I thought that kind of shit was considered hazardous and not allowed

youtube.com/watch?v=jkQmXueWIio
Too bad there were no gopros back in the 80s, I would loved to have some Porsche 956 onboard footage, although I doubt Bellof would've had time to comment much, not even post-comment.

You must have missed the c7r time. It's OK I know you are simple and amused by the fancy gizmos. Have we heard anything about Corvettes over heating since last year?