Despite some Christians (particularly Catholics) not taking the Genesis narrative literally (that is...

Despite some Christians (particularly Catholics) not taking the Genesis narrative literally (that is, the fable concerning the serpent and the fruit), the Catechism of the Church still teaches that Adam and Eve's transgression - whatever it was, since the eating of the fruit is held to be 'metaphorical' - caused "Adam and Eve [to] transmit to their descendants human nature wounded by their own first sin and hence deprived of original holiness and justice", as stated by the official Catechism.

Note, however, that it is also written that Cain dwelt in the Land of Nod, and that there were humans there, one of whom he made his wife. It is safe ti assume, then, that many humans were thus not descended from Adam and Eve: were these humans - having no blood ties to the pair - 'fallen', and inflicted with Original Sin? According to Protestant and Catholic thought, how can Original Sin have been transmitted to every member of the race when it is stated there were other extant humans? It is unlikely that any more than a tiny fraction of people in the present-day (assuming the descendants kept on reproducing) would even be directly descended from Adam and Eve i.e. one pair of people, when it is stated enough men - enough to build and populate a city - already had existed and formed a society at the same time Adam and Eve were kicked out of the garden.

What if

stay with me

what if

Ada
and
Eve

were

the metaphorical representation

of all men

and women

and not just two individuals?

I would tell you to properly read the post, then. The Catechism of the Catholic Church - as approved by the Magisterium - states explicitly that Adam and Eve were real individuals, and that the only possible metaphor was the fable of the eating of fruit.

Most Christian denominations hold Eve and Adam to have had a literal existence, and it is only the story of the serpent and the fruit of the tree that is relegated to the realm of metaphor.

Nowhere in your post does it say that though

>the Catechism of the Church still teaches that Adam and Eve's transgression - whatever it was, since the eating of the fruit is held to be 'metaphorical' - caused "Adam and Eve [to] transmit to their descendants human nature wounded by their own first sin and hence deprived of original holiness and justice", as stated by the official Catechism.
>"Adam and Eve [to] transmit to their descendants human nature wounded by their own first sin and hence deprived of original holiness and justice", as stated by the official Catechism.

I even put it in quotes, just for you. Straight out of the accepted Catechism of the Church. Apply yourself/10.

>the "it's a metaphor!" defense

>it's a metaphor!

how do you distinguish the metaphors from the literal doctrine? isn't the entire Bible the word of God?

>Cain dwelt in the Land of Nod, and that there were humans there, one of whom he made his wife
What?
1. Where in Genesis 4 does it say that the Land of Nod was occupied before Cain got there.
2. Also, why can't Cain's wife be his sister.

>"And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch."

Where did she come from? Was there another creation in a neighbouring valley; a creation which the author of Genesis forgot to record? And did these people also 'fall from grace' in another Garden of Eden and need to be saved?

No, it's ridiculous. Cain married his sister. Get over it.

Here, let me open my Bible.

>Genesis 5:4, Adam lived for eight hundred years after the birth of Seth and he became the father of sons and daughters.

This, which is repeated in literally all the patriarchal genealogies in Genesis, shows that Adam had multiple sons (the 3 we know) and multiple daughters, which would provide for wives.

Jew sources have Adam and Eve at somewhere near 30 sons and 35 daughters iirc.

Fedora: No clue women aren't usually mentioned in the bible.

Therefore must not have been any women.

Why would Cain - who was cast out - even be allowed to take his sister with him to distant Nod?

If you're taking it literally, and I wouldn't, the Bible says that Adam and Eve lived some 800-900 years so there's really no issue with them spawning a ton of other people who spawned a ton of others. There are no humans who are not related to Adam and Eve.

Retards.

Same reason God made the devil, and the same reason God didn't strike down Cain for murdering Abel.

People need evil choices to make.

>If you're taking it literally, and I wouldn't

Oh look, it's one of those "I cherrypick what is literal and metaphorical based on how hard it is to either reconcile with my modern lifestyle or too far-fetched" types.

(me)

Cain's wife was his sister.

>don't you know about Cain's twin sister Luluwa. She's the real reason Cain killed Abel. Luluwa (who was beautiful) was betrothed to her younger brother Abel. Cain was supposed to wed Abel's twin Aklemia. (Adam & Eve Book 1: Chap 74-79)
After Abel's murder, Cain and Luluwa get married and move away (Book 2, Chap 1)

apocrypha?

The metaphorical eating of the fruit means setting out to own and conquer. It means settling down for agriculture, to breed cattle, to kill vermin and predators so they don't eat human food, to make up laws and values about marriage, monogamy, etc.
The other humans were hunter-gatherers, which got conquered, absorbed and killed off by the Takers that were represented by Adam and Eve and their offspring.
Original Sin thus is passed on to all humans who are part of a Taker culture. That is to say, almost all humans today, except some hunter-gatherers in the Amazon Valley, Siberia, sub-Saharan Africa etc. And all humans who adopt Christianity and live the "Christian way" become afflicted by Original Sin.
Read the book Ishmael by Daniel Quinn if you like.

Pseudepigrapha.

>Apocrapha?
Yep!
"Conflict of Adam and Eve With Satan"
It's very late. Maybe 13th Cent CE. Original Mss was in Ge'ez (Ethiopic) and thought to come from an Arabic Mss.
Much of it is thought to come from the Syrian "Cave of Treasures" (existent by 12th Cent CE)
>inb4 dates are very approx

REGARDLESS
Cain married his sister.

See also "Book of Jubilees" (150 BCE)
Cain married his sister Awan

Why do the lives of people in the bible get progressively shorter? 800 years, then 200 something, then 100, then what we have now.