Is it worth getting a manual version of an economy car?

Is it worth getting a manual version of an economy car?

pic related, not sure whether to get a 9th gen Civic 1.8 with the 5 speed stick or 5 speed automatic. Not even going to consider the CVT models.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tZqQq6WIPzo
youtube.com/watch?v=1eYXpuE3CXA
endurancewarranty.com/learning-center/shoptalk/tech/manual-transmission-mean-anything/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=tZqQq6WIPzo

manual version

youtube.com/watch?v=1eYXpuE3CXA

only the 2013 9th gen civic comes 5 speed auto. after 13 they became cvt
i have 9th gen 5 speed manual. its a 2015. im pretty sure you were the same user that made this thread last night. i told you to get it
>D3
cringe. that dude needs to get pic related

Currently drive a Civic. It being manual is the only thing that makes it bearable. It is so god awful reliably boring that I am starting to understand why people rice them. My theory is it's just so that they have something to do car-wise or else they'd go insane from the boredom. Get the manual

>modern non type r civic
Do you hate yourself?

I'm sick of this meme. Get an auto for your econobox or luxobarge, and get a manual for your sports car or muscle car. Auto is for tedium, manual is for fun.

Accept no alternative.

This

Plus even modern day CVTs have manual shift mode now which work well if you want a taste of manual shifting. Except most automatics are geared for absolute shit start off the line.

What about econosport? Should I get an auto or manual for a CRZ, and what about when the auto option can actually be better? Like DSG for GTI's.

no.
always buy a manual.
unless its a gt3 than get an auto.

I drive a 5 speed Versa as a daily. Get manual if you want a manual. Makes driving less boring and it'll keep you used to things.

>always buy a manual.
You could argue it's okay for an economy car if it's cheaper, but there is literally no reason to get a manual luxury car unless you're some sort of fanatic. Luxury cars are all about comfort and ease. That's what an automatic transmission brings to the table.

Although having a manual LS400 would be pretty dope.

>manual suddenly makes a car not comfy

Manual is for engaging with the car and really feeling the drive. A luxury car is the opposite of that. A luxury car should feel like you're riding on a cloud without a care in the world besides where you are driving.

this, I used to have a manual daily and a manual weekend car.

Now my daily is auto and it bores me to tears.

yes

driving an auto is boring
but that's just like my opinion man

Get an auto with good manual shift mode

It's better than just leaving it in D all the time, at least you can shift when you're in the mood

Get a manual especially if it's an econobox. Seriously, if you're going to drive a penalty box, get one that you can get the most out of. Getting an automatic in an econobox is just as good as throwing money away.

Yes

Manuals are more fun, period.

>modern day CVTs have manual shift mode

do you know how cvt's work?

he's not lying, but it's still dumb as shit

it's simulated, obviously. But it's instantaneous which is cool

Why would anyone buy an auto if there is a manual option?

Do you have more than one of each of the following working body parts:
Hands
Feet
Brain cells
Testacies

If so then don't go auto.

>Get a manual especially if it's an econobox.

Depends on the car really.

One of my econoboxes has a pretty decent 5 speed, you can hammer on it pretty good and it won't break, good shift feel, slam shifts just fine.

Other econobox has a garbage 5 speed. Can barely feel the gear, likes to pop out of 1st as soon as you clutch if you're on it hard, feels like the thing is made of glass, if you try to slam shift or force it, it just won't go and feels like you're bending things.

The auto version of my second econobox is actually nicer to drive. It has no power anywhere at any time anyway, but at least with the auto all you have to do is slam the gas instead of hunt around for the right gear.

Newer CVTs don't actually seem to be that bad. We have one in a work van and it does pretty decent. No slams on downshifts when you get on it, smoother than a normal auto, and it always makes me laugh when I flat foot it to 60 and it just whines along at redline for 30 seconds. Also if you turn off the OD in the van we have, it goes full race car, sits at like 4k RPM at 35 MPH, it's great.

Yes

No competition. Always get manual in econoboxes.

Thing is, what's going to last longer? An econobox slushbox or an econobox manual gearbox? It's a lot cheaper to replace a clutch and some bearings than to replace a whole automatic transmission down the line. That's usually what decommissions one of these cars.

Automatic, easier to resell

Ahahahaa all that power and only 84mph. My camry go faster.

Yes you nigger manual is what actually makes driving FUN

Depends on the gear ratios.
A manual can offer better mpg if the gear ratios are the same.
If the automatic has a longer final drive or an extra/longer overdrive, or an extra gear, then it will can better mpg (if it's a dct)

But, then you have to deal with the reliability and liability of having a DCT/CVT.

Do you?
Protip: they're not "just like a snowmobile"

No it's an econobox, why penalize yourself further in a penalty box?

Dont listen to these memesters, they were too poor to afford automatics.

>being this american

Is 80s Toyota a good shifter ? Whatever came with big port 4age 1988

>this is what amerilards actually believe

we had this thread yesterday.
Yes, go with the manual. If you're doubting, drive both and then decide. For the 9th gen civic, the auto was plain dreadful, and since it's an economy vehicle the difference in price from, it being manual and one of the last 2013 models to be sold, it was a no brainier.

Kek, are you faggots delusional? The manual isn't even any faster than the auto. And it gets worse gas mileage

Accept no tedium

Everything in a sports car when nobody else thinks it's a good time to drive like they have one

Manual is more fun in every situation once you spend a week at most learning it. Problem is committing to it and getting past this week, because you can't get there without buying the car and then you'd think it'd be "too late"

>"muh bumper to bumper traffic"
This is ironically the situation in which I'd MOST want a manual since it gives you something extra to do. Auto gives you a foot and hand extra so you can look on your phone and eat something and pretend you're having fun or not minding the traffic then get in an accident. Manual forces you to pay attention and never have an accident.

anyway find a better route if you keep encountering this, highways are a catch 22 because they'll always have an accident on them and end up being slower than the other roads.

honda isn't known for making reliable auto trannies.

depends on an econobox.
My vitara s has 1.4 turbo with 140hp, weighs literaly nothing for a 4x4 and is very fucking fun with manual, revs to 7k rpm and still frugal even if I push it. But it realy depends on a car.

Are you retarded

You may as well get an automatic there's no such thing as true manuals anymore.
Also just wait until fall to get the 1.5 turbo with a six speed, which also comes in hatch form. Now that's going to be some real fun.

endurancewarranty.com/learning-center/shoptalk/tech/manual-transmission-mean-anything/

gotta love driving manual when you're stuck for 90% of the time in a traffic jam

>Get an auto for your econobox or luxobarge, and get a manual for your sports car or muscle car.

How do Americans always get everything backwards?

Get a manual for your econobox or sports car. A shit auto slushbox in a cheap shit car is even worse than in a good car. Will go wrong sooner. Can't be compensated for by handling gears yourself. Manual has no electronics to go wrong, it breaks when the metal breaks.

Get auto for your luxury GT, executive, or high-end sports car. They can shift better than you and are expensive and well made.

I have a 5spd manual in a '12 Civic LX sedan. A real peach of a shifter and a light clutch, I don't mind it even when my commute included sitting in traffic a bit (about 5-7 minutes of dense stop and go). It really allows you to make the most of a pretty small engine. Highway revs are a bit high I suppose 3krpm at 70 mph, but the engine is smooth enough + other road noise makes it not-annoying.

Overall I'd say go for it. Honda's 5spd auto is decent enough and would give you a couple of mpg on the highway by way of lower revs, but I can already squeeze out 40mpg on highway trips in the summer so MPG is a non-consideration.

>not wanting a fun luxobarge

that's interesting. Now I'm wondering how many manual civics have been sold, not counting the Si.
It being a highschool/daughter_needs_a_car_for_college_mobile I wonder what these numbers look like.

Not OP

I really like that angled center portion of the dashboard. That's nice.

This right here. The manual will make your econobox more economical as well. And DEFINITELY get the automatic if you're going turbocharged up at the high-cost range, because if it's any good you'll never drop off boost while shifting.

I would go for manual, always manual

Having a manual makes driving my car bearable, without it I'd probably beat my head against the steering wheel. But, it lacks a lot of modern equipment. I have no power steering and love it for all of the fine adjustments I can make and how I can feel how the car responds to every bump and road surface.

Yeah, despite all the pissing and moaning about the bilevel dash and low rent materials, it's really been a good car with excellent ergonomics for me. It's biggest failing is nvh suppression and suspension damping/crashiness. Then again it weighs a measly 2650lb in a class of 2850-3000 compacts so that explains part of it. I had a rental Jetta for work and it smothered the road much better. Selling the civic now, I just don't need it now for commuting and now's the time to sell for top dollar.