Do you own an OBDII reader? What is the preferred reader to own?

Do you own an OBDII reader? What is the preferred reader to own?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QVWQFXIQTOP8&coliid=I2R02LR9IAAACU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I own that exact reader in pic

It's pretty fuckin' useless desu, but I guess it works

Had one of those, lost it.
Got one of these. Works great even over long journeys and its the first thing I use when anyone's car has an issue which is not totally obvious.

Yeah, it's called a laptop

which software do you use?

They are all based on knock off elm327 chips so which ever works reliable. They are super useful, especially on ford/mazda with the forscan software.

the bafx one.

Chromaggus OBDII reader

This.
BT for non-shit devices
Wifi for iShit.
Then Torque Pro

What's that box for?

The one in the pic. Never worked.

Bluetooth

Torque Pro and one that was like $15 on amazon

Works fine

Reads my Jag and BMW

Peake R5 FCX3.
bretty good for BMW specific stuff

I'm pre obd but if i did have it I'd fit one of these

shit looks like a life supporting display

Enjoy your massive lag.

I've got hondata and a spare android phone. converts all faults to obd2 style readout like P0401, P1259, etc.

Not necessary that model, being pre odb i have no need to research this shit. but the point is I'd get a display as most double up to do diagnostics

i got the OBDLINK with free android app

Those are honestly garbage. They're missing crucial boards to read makes and models. For 10 bucks more this reads every car and all usable sensors

LOL

>tfw OBD I

I found your OBD I reader

this one has the fastest read time, so I have it display info on my dvd stereo like a mini instrument cluster cause my car doesn't have an oil pressure/temp gage.

I own a SOLUS and a MODIS. Both have been very useful on my wife's cars and when I was flipping them as well. Cant really plug into a car with no computer....

my car doesn't have obd

Well la-di-da mr. "I drive a car that pre-dates obd"

Well I use it with a SAAB 9-5is from 2003, what does this offer than the one I posted doesn't?
What you said sparked an interest since there's always room for improvement.

are these cheap and are they capable of giving every single code that an expensive scanner would give?

Mine works fine in every vehicle I plug it into

How do I know what obdb I am

>are they capable of giving every single code that an expensive scanner would give?
Depends on the car and brand, and what other expensive scanner you are referring to

whatever one the dealership uses.
i dont mean make specific CAN messages.

what year was your car built in?

Do all OBDII readers display oil pressure and oil temperature? Or is that numerical info not available in all cars?

should be possible

If you get a scantoolobd2 or BAFX one yes they will
It depends if your car has those sensors

i have that one.
1 year and it still works.

elm327 + torque

I got a couple of these.

Cheap as fuck.

Small as fuck.

My van started throwing up an engine check light on and off for a month. So I threw it in the glove box till it came up, scanned, throttle sensor was going bad.

Problem solved.

Have one. Turned out my CEL was just slow cranking starter causing the knock sensor to undervolt.

Also great for watching engine temperatures, which are important in a Mazda because it'll idle up to 96, and the engine seals melt at 104.

1987-1992

I bought the cheapest possible one from Ebay, and I use it with Torque. The app says that it's a cheap knock-off, but that doesn't matter as it works.

I use this.

Pretty useful for a basic OBD scanner.

Jfc I fucking hate my phone.

I have four OBDII devices in my car.

Why would you buy that when you can read the CEL flashes with a single wire jumper?

>What is the preferred reader to own?
The best kind lets you record it with your laptop such as by either a serial, USB, or WiFi connection. If it is serial, then it is the old type and you should ignore those. Besides, many laptops no longer have PS/2 or serial connectors.

The OBD2 reader could be the kind that saves up a chunk of data and uploads it when the car is turned off. That is another old type and should be ignored. Don't buy those (if you can even find them now). The new ones continually send more data out and also let you scroll thru a running windowful of saved data if you had no laptop to record the data.

Some aftermarket software analyzes and displays the OBD2 data such as Torque Pro. Because smartphones mount easily to the windshield or dash area for easy visibility, most users prefer this to the old school laptop software.

So, you can opt to get the dumb cheapest model which is basically an OBD2 reader that plugs in and displays the current set of codes that are active. Or you can get the nicer ones that allow you to upload running data to either a laptop or smartphone in real time to be saved as you drive along with time stamps. That lets you see certain codes as you drive and accelerate on level ground or accelerate on hills. There's other levels of convenience too but it's mostly on the software end and not the OBD2 hardware.

Don't get those subscription softwares. It's basically software that disables itself each year unless you pay for another encryption key to make it work again. It is hidden as a data update. If no one buys these softwares, hopefully they will stop trying to make this into a new app standard of regular micropayments for everything.

>What is the preferred reader to own?
I too am interested in the best combination of OBD2 hardware and software for a laptop so that I could monitor ongoing changes in the car. Use on a smartphone is secondary compared to the laptop.

Thats what i got becaise it supports can and other protocols too. Plus with additional software it supports the mazda specific protocols. Works great. Doesnt drain your battery. Only real issue is the price but at least you know it works.

CANtact

Autel?

Are these good or a waste of money?

What was your next choice?

>tfw emission testing in my state are getting tougher and tougher
>gov will start using OBD II to check emissions instead of a dyno

whats the best universal OBD readoer, me and my brother tought about starting a buisness about checking people's car via home service before they have to pay for testing

any recommendations Veeky Forums?

>>tfw emission testing in my state are getting tougher and tougher
>>gov will start using OBD II to check emissions instead of a dyno

My state is aware that people install devices to cheat emissions in other states. So our biannual emissions checks SIMULTANEOUSLY use a government-mode full access data reader they plug into your OBD2 socket, a dyno, a remote sensor device they put on your hood to sense engine RPM, and an air sampling device they stick up the exhaust pipe to make sure the expected combustion gases are there for the dyno load. There's no splitting out and diluting exhaust gases trick that will fool that.

But since I got my plastic_car rolling computer on wheels, they no longer bother putting me on the dyno or sticking the exhaust sensor in my tailpipe. They just hook up their reader to the OBD2 socket. I guess that means their government access level to my data computer is too good to be fooled.

>me and my brother tought about starting a buisness about checking people's car via home service
You mean you are a mobile re-cat and un-pipe service for those that cut out their cat or other illegal mods that an official shop is required to report? Over here, the law requires a shop to report illegal mods.

Pretty much any OBD reader can check monitor readiness. Doesn't sound like a very lucrative business.

jesus fucking christ

let me guess, California?

okay Veeky Forums. Recommend me the cheapest ODBII reader that hooks up to a laptop for diagnosing repairs.

based mazdaspeed

washington state emission check stations have all that but usually skip the testing for cars that the staff think have low chance of being cheaters.

With new cars, they tell you to get out, they connect up their computer. Validate odometer reading (it better not be less than your prior reading). Turn on car while in park. Observe that all dash warning lights work, Press the gas pedal to move your tach reading up to a certain amount. Turn off. There's no need to put modern cars thru the dyno. That's for old cars without all the modern sensors and car computer.

>Pretty much any OBD reader can check monitor readiness. Doesn't sound like a very lucrative business.
The only value of such a business is to avoid the non-penalty "Fixit Citation" the official test issues. Such a citation means you have to go to an official storefront shop that is accredited to fix emission problems and the shop signs the citation as having performed a repair. You then go back to the inspection station. If you fail again, you have to go get a repair yet again. After a few tries, you will be issued a "Pass" because you did try to fix the problem and WA state doesn't want you to be without your car to get to your job. But all those repair attempts cost you because you cannot claim to do these repairs yourself.

Will one of these read the tire pressure on my buick lacrosse?

>Will one of these read the tire pressure on my buick lacrosse?
Can your Buick Lacrosse travel to Mars? If not, then no. However, TPMS sensors were mandated for newer cars. It's at the point that the cars send the info to the car owner. My car emails the info to me as a real email message but of course it can be seen in real time on the smartphone app. The app cannot cause the sensors to be pinged in this version, so the updates of pressure have a data granularity.

i got a chip on ebay for only $20 bucks it added about 30 horses to the wheels just plug in to the obdII port press go and it uploads 30 horsepower. all u fukin nerds with ur 700 dollar computeres what a waste

I use this. It's shit, it updates horribly slow, no matter the car, no matter the settings I mess with. Using paid Torque with an LG G4.

Are there any better options than Torque? It's shit. It's so over-complicated and badly thought out. I just want to log sensors and build graphs. Just something simple.

Need a decent scanner that updates fast and actually accesses sensors. Current one is shite.

This one any good?

amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QVWQFXIQTOP8&coliid=I2R02LR9IAAACU

>Need a decent scanner that updates fast and actually accesses sensors. Current one is shite.

No idea in comparison to what you use now as you won't even mention its name.