Protip: If your surname does not derive from a Roman gens' nomen you are not real

Protip: If your surname does not derive from a Roman gens' nomen you are not real.

>Antony
I'm good

>implying it proves anything except that your gypsy ancestors stole their last name from respectable people
Reminder that unless you can wholly prove your direct descendance from a roman patrician gens with your authenticated documentation, you're probably African

You're a spook.

Protip: If you haven't banged OP's mom you are not real.

Phew, dodged a bullet there.

Guess we are all good then.

I'm mostly descended from celtic and gallic dungmonkeys b-but there's a chance of a rape pregnancy from a Roman right?

MY FULL NAME IN LATIN IS COEMGENVS ORION MVNIVS, THE LAST ELEMENT BEING THE NOMEN, OBVIOUSLY.

REGARDLESS, THAT HUBRISTIC ATTITUDE WHICH IDENTIFIES THE SELF WITH THE FAMILY IS INDICATIVE OF PERSONAL DEFICIENCY, AND IT IS A FORM TRIBALISM.

TRIBALISTIC ATTACHMENT IS INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL TO PERSONAL QUALITY.

My full name is Roman Romanovich Romansson MacRoman

How Roman am I?

Very little.

>Romanovich
whelp that spoiled the whole thing, Rom
zero, you are zero romans. it's like saying volcanos are made up of cans because the word "can" is right there in the word. nope, no romanoviches and no romanovs

Nigga im greek. Get that roman shit out of here

MARCVS CLAUDIVS QUINTVS

>CLAUDIVS

you fucked up user

My surname is Bustamante, but although it is Latin I think it was made up by Frankish barbarians trying to be Roman Emprurs and shiiet

>Findlay

Aw shite

Nobody can.

NOPE, it's a 100% spanish surname

My surname derives from Clement and it originates from Italy so I expect it to be somehow related to Roman shit.

We're all Africans then

Cradle of fucking civilization

my mom had one but she did not marry matrilineally

You mean humanity?

Cradle of Civilisation is the middle east

Define "civilization".

my surname is of anglo or celtic origin and literally means "slave of [this other family]"

how subhuman am i?

>WE

>Knight
Deal with it faggots. Have coat of arms and everything.

>tfw Jewish surname
Thanks Christianity.

what's the surname?

My last name is de León, which comes from the city and Kingdom of León in Spain, which was at one time a Roman town. Does that count?

My surname was invented by my great-grandfather or something

Do I qualify?

Do you really think your last name directly references ancient Rome?

who /family-crest/ here?

pic related

post it lad

>It means "forest", "forest" or "forest". Silva is a Portuguese surname, which originated from the Latin silva, meaning "forest", "forest" or "jungle". The Silva surname, In addition to being strongly present IN FAMILIES of Portuguese origin, also is used in Spain and Italy, but with less expression.

Chile is full of Silvas. We waz romans n shit.

The surname of FINDLAY was derived from the Gaelic Fionnlagh. The name is generally explained as meaning 'Fair-hero'. Early records of the name mention Fynlayus clericus, who witnessed a charter in the year 1246. Fyndlaw Thane, leased the lands of Enirvak in 1480. Andrew Fyndelai, chaplain of Brechin in 1526. John Finlawsone witnessed an Atholl Charter in 1455. Thom Findlaisone was presbyter in Dunkeld in 1528 Robert Fyndlasoun leased land in Dunkeld in the year 1585. The use of fixed surnames or descriptive names appears to have commenced in France about the year 1000, and such names were introduced into Scotland through the Normans a little over one hundred years later, although the custom of using them was by no means common for many years afterwards. During the reign of Malcolm Ceannmor (1057-1093) the latter directed his chief subjects, after the custom of other nations, to adopt surnames from their territorial possessions, and there created 'The first erlis that euir was in Scotland'. A notable member of the name was George Finlay (1799-1875) the Scottish classical historian, born of Scottish parents in Faversham in Kent. After studying at Glasgow and Gottingen, he joined Byron in the Greek War of Independence in 1823, and settled in Attica. He wrote several works on Greek History. Alba, the country which became Scotland, was once shared by four races; the Picts who controlled most of the land north of the Central Belt; the Britons, who had their capital at Dumbarton and held sway over the south west, including modern Cumbria; the Angles, who were Germanic in origin and annexed much of the Eastern Borders in the seventh century, and the Scots. The latter came to Alba from the north of Ireland late in the 5th century to establish a colony in present day Argyll, which they named Dalriada, after their homeland. The Latin name SCOTTI simply means a Gaelic speaker. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory.

> Its modern name, León, is derived from the city's Latin name Legio.
Yes, yes I am.

An online picture is not a sourced coat of arms.

>The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory.

I don't have a copy of the book handy, but still.

>not having a generic pleb surname that only came to be in the 18th century because who the fuck needs surnames lmao
literally lmao'ing out loud

>this is a famous surname of Roman origins,

wew

Findlay (Easterhill, co. Lanark, 1861). Ar. a chev. betw. two roses in chief and a two-headed eagle in base gu. two swords points downwards and conjoined at the pommels of the field, hilted and pommelled or. Crest— A boar pass. ar.

Motto — Fortis in arduis.

See, already that's not

pretty close tbqh

And this one exists which has 3 roses, no boar.

You need to be careful. While your family probably does have some sort of arms (not your immediate family) it would be an offshoot and similar to the ones that are being posted.

Pretty close is not good enough when it comes to something such as Heraldry, which exists for the sole purpose of identification.

>1 is close enough to 2.

>Pretty close is not good enough when it comes to something such as Heraldry, which exists for the sole purpose of identification.

Tbqh mate I'm not autistic enough to care. The majority of surnames have coats associated with them, it's nothing special and not a sign of noble redpilled aryan roman patrician blood.

Most of my family were gardeners.

>Tbqh mate I'm not autistic enough to care. The majority of surnames have coats associated with them, it's nothing special and not a sign of noble redpilled aryan roman patrician blood.
Why the fuck would you even respond then. Why are you so all of a sudden frustrated at the idea that you do not know what you arms look like.

>I was just pretending to care
>it's autistic to care about your families lineage
Rightio, mate.

Painted by a relative in 1882. You need to care about your lineage, somewhere along the line there is someone who has done something worthwhile.

>Why the fuck would you even respond then. Why are you so all of a sudden frustrated at the idea that you do not know what you arms look like.

Lol I think you're the frustrated one. I'm fairly chilled, off to bed in a minute though; I'm tired so it'll be comfy as fuck like

>I was just pretending to care

Who are ya quoting? I was just having a bit of fun in this thread.

You misunderstand. It's autistic to get autistic about it. Autism autisms.

>You need to care about your lineage

No I don't you bender

>somewhere along the line there is someone who has done something worthwhile.

Yeah like gardening

>Lol I think you're the frustrated one.
Kek, that reply.,
Right.

Enjoy your ignorance.

Ignorance on what lol?

The intricacies of my surname's crest?

Okay whatever lol it's been a laff

I'll seeya later mate

This is just embarrassing for the rest of us now, lads

like I give a shit mate

it's an anonynynymous board

fuck ya sensitivities

What the fuck did you just say to me you little bitch?

Rude.
>us
>anonymous
>implying you shouldn't die
heh

that you're a wee little bitch like

bet your family crest is shite

See I'll fight both of you niggers

I'm pretty sure I know how to read heraldspeak but what's the difference between the description and the picture besides the family name instead of the motto being on the scroll? Surely it's not about the mantling.

you're getting a bit reddit nah mate

I'm gonna run off to bed before some smug cunt replies to us all saying "Hello R*ddit"

like I give a shit mate
it's an anonynynymous board
fuck ya sensitivities

>and the picture besides the family name instead of the motto being on the scroll?
That is the difference.

Descriptions have to be exact. The one he is posting is some dweeb who created his own without proper understanding of Heraldry. I little bit more googling and he would have found the one he is looking for but as he said he doesn't even care which is mind boggling because he replied

>who /family-crest/ here?
>pic related

He is just angry I guess. Pic related is a closer depiction of the one he is looking for.

>Pic related is a closer depiction of the one he is looking for.
Or at least this one.

>That is the difference.
m8 it's extremely common in modern conventions to put the family name instead of the motto at the bottom because the plebs aren't going to know it's your family's CoA otherwise. Maybe that's not proper by medieval standards but it's disingenuous to claim that it's not his family's coat of arms because the artist took some liberties with one part of the full achievement.

I do agree that the one you found is more authentic.

Ok so I'm apparently nonexistant
What do

Hello R*ddit

And to the autistic heraldry guy

Heraldry is for fucking BENDERS

>that it's not his family's coat of arms because the artist took some liberties with one part of the full achievement.
Kek. Even though coat of arms are described in every single detial it's possible to have a coat of arms outside of the exact description still be the CoA?

That's literally wrong. I mean sure you can say 'yeah that's my coat of arms' to any pleb, and they won't know. Obviously not the fucking case when you are talking with someone who knows anything about the field of Heraldry.

I said this before. There can be a CoA INSIDE his family exactly the same just no Motto. Whose is whose in that situation? See? CoA's exist solely for the purpose of identification.

THEY HAVE TO BE EXACT, at least if you are tlaking to someone who isn't a pleb. Granted you didn't know that when the discussion started.

Tbqh mate I'm not autistic enough to care

>Tbqh mate I'm not autistic enough to care
I am, I don't give a fuck about some scrub who thinks he knows anything about Heraldry and gets btfo when he posts his 'family-crest'.

Fuck outta here.

This ain't robot wars mate

Blood, I've seen you post that family crest. multiple times. I am almost certain I've seen you start a thread with that COA.

QQ more.

Nah lad this is the first time I've seen it

Posted it for a wee bit of fun and now I've ended up shitposting about crests till half one in the morning

Fucks sake like

quite common surname in brazil tho

If you're going to be so pedantic about it I must point out that the CoA is literally the same and the motto is a component of the full achievement.

The text here gives the coat of arms of the family, and also grants the family motto as a second piece of heraldic information.
Apparently only Scottish heraldry is so strict about the depiction and authenticity of the motto, and that's not even how it's supposed to be depicted (the motto ought to be on top.)

Oh shit zing

Who's laughing now ya big fanny

>If you're going to be so pedantic about it I must point out that the CoA is literally the same and the motto is a component of the full achievement.
You are missing the point. There can be a CoA bestowed upon the family whose crest is exactly the same, simply minus the motto. Meaning there are now 2 completely separate entities one with motto, one without. That's what you don't understand, or at least refuse to even think about.

All I am literally saying is those to COA's (the one he posted and the one described) are not the fucking same. Simple as that. You can argue all you want. You, and him, are simply wrong.

Posting a simple image found on google is not a sourced COA.

[T]he salient feature of Scottish heraldry is that, as compared with England and other countries, the basic coats of arms are relatively few in number, but numerous differenced versions of each basic shield exist. The basic, or simple undifferenced arms and crest, are the property, not of the 'family', but of the 'Chief' of each clan or house

You are actually saying descriptions of COA can be different that the actual CoA but still be legitimate, are you serious?

There is a reason why CoA's are described in such fucking detail, are you actually serious right now?

I am same guy, simply cannot believe what you are trying to say.

Pretty sure that's a reference to cadency and so on rather than shit like crests and mottoes.

Doesn't fucking matter, m8. That's why armorials rarely bother with the extra components.
You don't even know for sure if that description was word-for-word the full arms granted to the family by patent or if the motto was just common usage.

The CoA and often the crest has to be exact, but people don't generally make as much of a fuss about the other components, is what I'm saying.

>The CoA and often the crest has to be exact, but people don't generally make as much of a fuss about the other components, is what I'm saying.

And I fucking said yeah sure to that. We moved on from. This isn't a discussion between two plebs. This is about variation between description and the CoA, which you are dodging completely.

If it's described, it has to be displayed, simple as fucking that. If it's to be legitimate anyway. I don't give a fuck about 2 plebs online, I care for accuracy, something you don't care about. Which is fine, don't prented you are correct though. You are fucking wrong.

>extra components.
Kek, a description of the COA is now extra component. Hilarious.

>missing my fucking point
>still wanting to argue out of pure ignorance
What the fuck are you doing? Don't even bother replying, seriously. I am not going to reply again.

My surname is derived from a Roman gens, but that's only because my family converted to Catholicism from Judaism and overcompensated when they picked a last name.

Silva is a Jewish name. When Jews were forcibly converted to Christianity, they tended to take names based on natural features or the place they were baptized in, because they didn't want to steal existing last names and be seen as impersonators.

Congratulations.

>if it's described it has to be depicted
If it's part of the coat of arms, yes. If it's not, it's basically extra.

"An achievement, armorial achievement or heraldic achievement (historical: hatchment) in heraldry is a full display of all the heraldic components to which the bearer of a coat of arms is entitled [!!].[2] An achievement comprises not only the armorials [read: the CoA] themselves displayed on the Escutcheon, the central element, but also the following elements surrounding it: [crests, mottoes, mantling, etc]

Sometimes the term coat of arms is used to refer to the full achievement, but this usage is wrong [WROOOOOOOONG] in a strict sense of heraldic terminology.[3][4]"

"In heraldry and heraldic vexillology, a blazon is a formal description of a coat of arms, flag or similar emblem, from which the reader can reconstruct the appropriate image. The verb to blazon means to create such a description. The visual depiction of a coat of arms or flag traditionally has considerable latitude [!!!] in design, while a blazon specifies the essentially distinctive elements; thus it can be said that a coat of arms or flag is primarily defined not by a picture but rather by the wording of its blazon"

"An armorial motto is a phrase or collection of words intended to describe the motivation or intention of the armigerous person or corporation. Mottoes are generally changed at will and do not make up an integral part [!!!] of the armorial achievement. Mottoes can typically be found on a scroll under the shield. In Scottish heraldry where the motto is granted as part of the blazon, it is usually shown on a scroll above the crest [!], and may not be changed at will."

All of this boils down to the fact that no one is obligated to display their motto on a scroll under their coat of arms.

>All of this boils down to the fact that no one is obligated to display their motto on a scroll under their coat of arms.
Kek, none of that means anything you think it does and is completley refuted WITH that same post.

>An achievement comprises not only the armorials [read: the CoA] themselves displayed on the Escutcheon, the central element, but also the following elements surrounding it: [crests, mottoes, mantling, etc]

Kek.

You should probably read what you are posting. That outlines the differences between Scottish Heraldry and, the norm. You are actually retarded.

>The verb to blazon means to create such a description. The visual depiction of a coat of arms or flag traditionally has considerable latitude [!!!] in design, while a blazon specifies the essentially distinctive elements; thus it can be said that a coat of arms or flag is primarily defined not by a picture but rather by the wording of its blazon

Proves you wrong AS WELL. As the depiction of the motto is in the Blazon, which goes back to my fucking point.

Holy shit. Seriously, just fucking stop.

>mfw my surname is derived from Lucius Mummius Achaicus
My Latin blood has been flowing strong since before Christ

Is this real? I think it might be considering I found a hat company started under the name of "Knox" in 1838 with the motto "Moveo et proficior"

I had heard that somewhere. I dont really care about the jews so I guess im ok with that

I think you just disproved solopsism.

A lot of people have last names like that. Surnames are almost always derived from the clan's founder or place of origin.

>Is this real?
Are you wondering if your families coat of arms is real? What the fuck?

I THOUGHT YOUR NAME WAS SCHIZOPHRENIC IDIOT

My ancestors claimed to be literal descendants of the Gens Valeria.
Of course there's a 500 years gap between the fall of the WRE and the earliest plausible ancestor, and a 800 year gap with the earliest certain ancestor, but when did that ever stop anyone?

>TRIBALISTIC ATTACHMENT IS INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL TO PERSONAL QUALITY.
[citation needed]

My surname is some Lombard babble speak, feels bad man

Δημοσθένης feels good man

>McGrew

not even close... ;_;

>Santonocito

As far as I know my family were bunch of lawyers and doctors from Palermo Sicily. Apperantly it's a combination of two family names.

>first name definitely
>surname unclear, but can arguably be said to derive from one

Who /Aemilius/ here?

Are you or any member of your family a member of the Mafia?

My surname's Rom

Does anyone know where that comes from?

I'm pretty sure its gypsy trash but its unusual here and my dad doesn't know either for certain.

Vitale. Just some common Sicilian bullshit.

Eh... no but my family get asked that quite a lot. With both my grandfather and father it was an obstacle in their marriage since their in-laws who were Northern Europeans always hassled them about it.