What is it about manual transmissions attract so much autism...

What is it about manual transmissions attract so much autism. The two main culprits are rev matching and down shifting through every gear. Those two usually go hand in hand. This is how a normal person slows down in a manual. You apply the break while shifting the car into neutral. If you are coming to a complete stop you go to first. If you have to speed back up you judge what gear you need to be in depending on your speed. Quit being so fucking autistic and more people may buy manuals.

Anything that requires any semblance of skill to get it right attracts autism in many forms.

Sports, sciences, trades, performances, dance.

To keep it Veeky Forums you have people on here who have never driven a manual transmission and swear by automatics who sperg out when they catch a whiff of anyone who does not use a torque wrench on their lug nuts.

i drive a manual and use a torque wrench on my lug nuts

I honestly believe this habitual nature to be formed by their fearful memory of stalling it in first gear. By not understanding how the transmission works, they have a paranoid fear of stalling the vehicle by incorrectly chosing 4th, instead of 3rd.

Of course we know that's not going to happen, because we're not blindly fumbling about with our cars like fucking retarded lemmings at cliffs edge... but I honestly think that's why they get all autistic over downshifting and rev matching.

An unqualified fear of stalling at speed.

The reality is : shift too low, engine revs high, shift too high, revs too low and not enough torque.

They think : Shift too low, engine immediately explodes. Shift too high, engine stops and they come to a screeching halt on the highway, maybe do a few backflips... over dinosaurs.

What you call autism has been called "enthusiasm" longer than you've been alive

*elitism

Nah, it's autism.

You're supposed to operate a manual by feel and instinct.
You should not require rev matching.
You should not need to downshift through every gear.

This is for people who need to read a manual just to turn a fucking screwdriver.

It's only elitist if you assert that it's the only way to do it

>This is how a normal person slows down in a manual
This is how you have imagined a what a normal person driving a manual does. It's what a person with OCD does.

Rev matching is a part of properly operating a manual.

Its called

>saving the clutch

I am not even a manual elitest. If I or someone stalls at an intersection I really don't give even the slightest shit. If someone hated or loves manual I don't care.

But when some one goes from a higher to lower gear and uses the clutch to bring the engine up to speed it is hard not to imagine the clutch material being turned into dust.

Bait topic, but have fun trying to rev match in an emergency situation while coasting in neutral rather than remaining in control of your vehicle.

I think we're referring to two separate terms.

Rev matching to me is when the ECU digitally affects the throttle of the engine to closer match the revs of the transmission prior to engaging the clutch. It can be found on some modern german manual vehicles.

But if you're referring to watching the spedometer, yes, even that should become instinctive. I can't remember the last time I had to look at the spedometer to decide which gear to move to, unless I've been INCREDIBLY fucking tired.

>Rev matching is a part of properly operating a manual.
Nope. I never fixate about the tach or rpms. I just downshift at the proper speed for the gear. When coming to a stop, I put in neutral and stop.

There's a difference between performance driving and everyday driving.

I put my car in neutral all the time daily driving, but obviously would never do this on a track.

by rev match he means he blip the trottle before changing gears so the speed of the engine is the same as the trans

His trans should already be going the same speed as his wheels.

>neutral to stop
You aren't in full control of your vehicle then

don't normal people simply refer to that as "press the gas as you let off the clutch"?

that's why he said engine and not wheels you illiterate bird brain

Of course I am. I don't go into a coma or blackout. LOL

>This is how a normal person slows down in a manual. You apply the break while shifting the car into neutral
No, that's how an automatic driver who's still coming to grips with a manual slows down. If you want to coast to a stop with your drive wheels and flywheel completely disengaged, you should stick to the slushbox.

normal people don't do that thought
they just release the clutch slowly to make smooth gear change

That makes no sense and would actually be a better description of a manual driver. People with autos don't shift into N.

What? Every single person I know who drives manual does that

no because that isnt what rev matching is.

why is this board filled with retards.
to many anime masturbaters and no one with any actual driving experience.

rev matching is when you or the ecu blips the throttle on downshifts (while the clutch is fully depressed) to keep the engine rpm the same as the input shaft rpm. so the rear wheels don't break traction or unsettle the car under threshold braking. it also has the added benefit of getting more longevity out of your synchros and clutch.

no one does this constantly during daily driving unless pretend race caring or their synchros are trashed.

For strictly performance driving and riding this is a must know skill if you dont want to be a slowfag forever.

what ? where the fuck where you taught to press the gas during a gear change ?

If I was in a race car I would just use the paddle shifter.

sometimes you actually need to downshift though, like for a slow corner.

get fucked shitposter

This guy understands what I wrote.

Not every time you slow down you come to a complete stop.

These days yes we have synchros to synchronize the input and out put of the transmission but it has only been recently that automatic rev matching of the engine has been in vehicles.

Rev matching term has been around much longer than that.

What those guys are talking about is double declutching and they don't even realize.

>why are manual fags so autistic?
>try to defend manual fags, because we aren't like that
>tfw proven wrong

Serves me right for posting on an american forum where the average american manualfag is actually autistic enough to start infighting

>that makes no sense
Maybe not to the laymen, and I didn't say auto drivers select neutral to decelerate, dumbass. They don't need to.

who's getting rev matching and double de clutching confused?

you can do either without doing the other

Rev matching has nothing to do with the synchros because when the clutch is disengaged the engine is disengaged from the transmission , where the synchros are.

rev matching = heel toe

> You apply the break while shifting the car into neutral.
Not using any engine breaking, god you have never driven a car have you.

This guy

You can rev match 24/7 but unless you are double declutch like a semi truck driver your synchros will wear the exact same way

he's right though somewhat.
I do that all the time.. if im in 4th and need to stop as soon as 4th isn't providing any more engine braking and I need to downshift i just go to neutral instead.
I dont care about performance on my commute to work.

God gave use the guy who gave us brakes. I use them. And brakes last like 25,000 to 30,000 miles of use nowadays.

>he breaks his engine every time he stops

Absolute Madman

>This is how a normal person slows down in a manual. You apply the break while shifting the car into neutral. If you are coming to a complete stop you go to first. If you have to speed back up you judge what gear you need to be in depending on your speed
Do you put your automatic into neutral when slowing down? No? Why would you in a manual?

when you're going down a big moutain it's better to engine break to avoid overheating your brakes

>put 90k on jeep
>never Rev match
>downshift constantly
>clutch is fine

Really I don't know how idiots think downshifting ruins a clutch and even if it does it's rarely replace clutch and brakes vs constantly replace brakes.

I swear to God I think most days \o/can't even drive....

Because that's the advantage of having full control of your vehicle.
See how that works?

Is not a fucking motorcycle you tard.

What?

>covering the brake when downshifting

Hurrdurr

I dubt it's full of stop lights and stop signs on the way down.

no but they're things called turns you know and you might want to slow down to avoid going off a cliff

I was never taught to revmatch, but I heard the term online once and tried giving it a little gas while I was shifting down to approach a construction zone. IDGAF about engine particulars as I repair shop everything but I know that rev matching means the car doesn't lurch or jump when downshifting (no matter how slowly I let go of the clutch without matching) and that's good. It's subconscious now, just like shifting. Anybody in this thread who says it's autism to rev match doesn't own a manual.

Downshifting when you know you're coming to a stop is retarded though, that's just extra work that doesn't get you anything.

Yeah that has nothing to with shifting into neutral to stop.

was talking about engine braking

But nobody was ever claiming to shift into neutral for anything but stopping. Try to keep up.

the two post i quoted was taking about the brakes and engine braking
but good things you make sure of it thought we got a least 4 more post on that dying board

This must be bait
That is properly driving a manual
Engine braking is what is called when you downshift to slow down it saves gas mileage and reduces wear on the brake pads the engine doesn't experience any wear at all because oil
Rev matching helps the clutch graphics on to the fly wheel because they are spinning at different speeds when you force them on to each other the clutch has friction just like brake pads and burns into dust until they spin at the same speed and attach
This is true
Anything with skill has people that try to be the best at it
You can call any athlete that sleeps in those oxygen bags and trains for hours on end autism and this is coming from a Veeky Forums and /sp/ person

>jeep

Jeep what? I can tell you don't even rough road.

That shit is probably terrain specific. The hill going down to my drive. If you leave an 8 speed dump truck (empty) in first with the exhaust brake on it increases speed anyway because hills are steep.

You are probably some flatland man who doesn't actually need a jeep.

I appreciate that most people in this thread live on flatland and never have to worry about how to down shift but here we have had people die because they left their vehicle in drive when descending steep terrain, boiled their brakes and lost control.

The telecoms companies actually leveed several roads from the government because tourists (Americans and britfags primarily) kept getting themselves killed because they applied flatland driving techniques to mountainous terrain .

And our roads are 15% hilly terrain 80% mountains terrain and another 5% don't go there unless you are risking your bulldozer flipping blade tail if you hit the gas too hard.

And these are "highways"

Pussyhole

Clearly you've never met Americans from mountainous regions.

Unsurprising really. Most people are from flatter areas.

what the fuck is going on in this thread?

everyone knows you only need to downshift rev match for corners or when you need to slow down to match traffic speed

The lack of manual transmission car has nothing to do with the fanbase and everything to do with people more and more often not learning to drive on manuals and therefore never driving anything but automatics. I'm very glad my dad taught me to drive on a manual car so I know how to drive with one.

I only rev match when upshifting

That's when I heel to toe.

>You apply the break while shifting the car into neutral
That's how idiots slow down. Sure, if you're doing like 10km/h in 2nd then go to neutral and stop.
But if you're doing 60km/h in 4th it's absolutely ridiculous to go directly to neutral.

>This is how a normal person slows down in a manual. You apply the break while shifting the car into neutral

That's actually illegal and will get you failed on a driving test in most places. The car must be in gear when in motion.

Is this shit a joke?

Rev matching, by feel of the vibrations and sound, not looking at your speedo, is the only correct way to drive a manual.

Furthermore, you keep yourself in first gear with the clutch in at the lights (don't be a fucking pussy and cry about your foot) so you can launch quicker, but also if you're rear ended you will instinctively let out the clutch and it will stall, meaning you won't roll as easy into the traffic (other foot is on the brake).

What the fuck are you autists even sperging out about? You think rev matching is autistic? You want a computer to do it for you?

You're the fucking autist, every single good driver can rev match their downshifts by feel, without a computer or needing to even fucking look.

I'm sorry, but you're just shit drivers trying to make excuses to distract from the fact you can't do it.

> you keep yourself in first gear with the clutch in at the lights
Goodbye pressure plate

/THREAD

You are all shit and trying to call people who are not shit autistic as if we give a fuck. Get back in your car and learn to properly rev match. It causes the least amount of damage and puts you as quickly as possible in your power band.

You dumb shit, he means fully in. As in you're technically in neutral. You're not slipping it at all.

You would only ever need to do this when downshifting, or very rarely when upshifting and you've left it in neutral for too long.

Whoosh his post went over your head. When the clutch is fully in, nothing's engaged.

Pretty fucking accurate post too, this entire thread is full of people who can't properly drive trying to make excuses.

>torque wrench on lug nuts
old car manuals just state fractions of rotation for a given length of spanner
.ie you have a foot long bar so you put a pound of force on the end

I think you mean throw out bearing or fork

The wear on your throw out bearing is so minimal that it doesn't fucking matter.

I take it this is a normal level of cancer for this board?

Yes. 70% of the people telling you how to drive a manual have never driven one. Also most of Veeky Forums thinks it some incredible skill to drive a manual. These threads are the funniest. Turbo threads are the second most funny cancer available here.

rev matching still reduces wear on the synchros

double clutch just reduces it even further

literally learn what synchros are for and how they work

>read thread
>OP proven right in stellar fashion
This really is autistic

You need to open a transmission.
Because you're a fucking idiot.

Claiming something's right when it's blatantly wrong doesn't make it so.

GTFO OP