Photo Gallery Mk. 1

Hello Veeky Forums,

I want to start a collaborative project with this board. I've seen a lot of really interesting "Historical Pictures" threads. I especially like it when people include descriptions of what is happening in the image or why it is historically significant.

What I want to do is start a sort of persistent online museum where I can, with your help collect photos with descriptions.
I am thinking that I will create a google doc and simply copy submissions made in this and future threads into the doc.

The submission process will be super loose, you do not need to have a description for your photo for it to go in the "gallery" and if you simply want to reply to a photo comment with a description I will include that as well.

I will also leave the "Comments" Function open on the doc so you can all leave persistent comments on images or add descriptions to images after the thread has been pruned.

As a token of commitment to this project and as something to get the ball rolling, I have scanned and uploaded the best images from my own physical collection to the doc. Many of these pictures are really cool and on top of that none of them can be found anywhere else on the internet. I will post them ITT for an initial bump.

Post any comments or questions ITT. As much as it pains me to do so, I will probably use a trip when posting in thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Q7U8svTYCU7GjACoqFvToapwPYTa8CFgWoTfDbeSsTo/edit?usp=sharing
desuarchive.org/his/
imgur.com/a/qzQeX
youtube.com/watch?v=N1Aiq6GqrpE&t=0m0s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ty user, good luck with your project

God, I'm an idiot. I forgot the link to the doc.

docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Q7U8svTYCU7GjACoqFvToapwPYTa8CFgWoTfDbeSsTo/edit?usp=sharing

Sounds really interesing, I hope you have what it takes to upkeep it though. I am not at home otherwise i would contribute. Do you want only significant photos or are everyday shots also acceptable?

Literally anything. Pics you took at a museum would be really cool. Really anything.

Well, I hope you dont give up, keep bumping every 5 mins or so. If I see this thread in ~15hours time i will prob contribute to it.

Do you have any idea what gallery or CMS youre going to use?

>I have scanned and uploaded the best images from my own physical collection to the doc.

If your physical collection are unique prints from family or whatever be sure to preserve them as well. There's a big misconception that digitizing film the the best form of preservation, but physical film is still the preferred method if you have a large collection of prints or film.

I'll be using the Google Slides function on Google Docs.

Link:

I've started adding Art.

Can I ask where your collection is from?

I lived in LA for a while and I would go to the Rose Bowl flea market every month. I knew one art dealer there who would always reserve stuff he thought I would be interested in. There were also many vendors there that sold random old photos at very reasonable prices. Most of these people got the photos by bidding on storage lockers, a la Storage Wars, so I got some really cool stuff.

If you're looking to cop some interesting photos, go to flea markets and antique stores.

Got them in higher resolutions?

I am pretty sure I scanned them at their highest resolution.

Is there any one in particular that you are looking for?

Like this pic Is that the size you scanned at?

I am looking at the physical of that one right now and honestly I can't make out any more detail on the physical than on the scan. The picture itself is faded and the scan is very faithful to the original. I can rescan it if you like though.

Could you? I'd like to try to clean up the names.

I asked originally because there are WW1/WW2 threads on /hr/ often, so you may want to let them know, but there are minimum resolutions to post there.

The names are badly obscured, I could only make out a handful.

I'll rescan it really quickly though, see if I can't get a little more definition.

Also the /hr/ idea is good, I'll post a reply there.

Here is my re-scan. I put all the sliders to the left for resolution.

It's still kind of unclear.

Thank you for the contribution.

Again, the link to the gallery is:

I also found this image on the web that is much more clear.

>tfw you will never hold down a factory job like this and raise your family being able to let the wife stay home with the kids

Fucking new millennium.

This is awesome, OP. I'll see what I have around to contribute, though I know it's not much. I've been looking through Veeky Forums archives lately though. I'll dig up some old historical photo threads and post links here for you.

>desuarchive.org/his/

This photo is outstanding. It's a gem in the growing online collection.

This one is fantastic, too.

The whole project is a really great idea. Thanks, OP and contributing anons.

Do you care for personal photos?

Found a couple of historical photo threads that are still archived here on this site (for now).

Subject was "terror"; all the pics in these threads were wartime photos.

I really just like the way these two look.

Especially the lighting in this one. It's just so striking.

i have a bunch of old homoerotic photography from the late 1800s-early 1900s if anyones interested

Yes, I do.

These threads are really good. They were the ones that actually inspired this project.

Post it my man.

imgur.com/a/qzQeX
this isnt all of them, but ill post more in the morning if the threads still alive

Ya, I honestly don't see why not. It is history after all.

>imgur.com/a/qzQeX
that's really really gay

I've been adding a lot to the gallery.
The link is:

i have glass plates of naked women posing for the camera (early 1900, taken in Paris). I'll try and scan a few in tonight.

I think this was in German East Africa

Are you retarded? If you digitize something and then put it on the internet, its essentially there forever.

Here's a color version phamaritorioso

I think this was taken right after he took over the country in 1968

Gualberto Villarroel, 46th president of Bolivia, right after he hanged by a mob that stormed the presidential palace.

Fuck me I forgot the image

Not sure if you would want this, but its a drawing showing the German bombardment of a Venezuelan fort in the 1902 debt crisis.

and I forgot the image again

I will try get them scanned then I have a few old family photos of some German family members in their uniforms getting married and what not, might be tricky though as they are in original frames.

Painting of the Battle of Angamos, during the War of the Pacific.

Thank you all for the contributions! I'll add these right away.

I've got more if ya want

Digital collections have to be migrated every 3-5 years. For large collections, like any museum, library, or archive, physical film is the preferred method because when stored in controlled environment will last 50+ years. The Library of Congress and the National Archives digitize only for ease of access, not preservation.

Yes, certainly.

But if a fire breaks out or the museum collapses during an Earthquake, hurricane etc, it is nifty to have a digital back up, no?

Alberto Fujimori declares the dissolution of Congress and the Judiciary on national television, right after he ordered a tank to forcefully shut things down.

Ford, Edison, Harding, Firestone

Fujimori at his Trial in 2009

Lincoln.

1/2 - before finding out the photographer is Jewish.

After.

(apparently).

Picture of said tank, and as a bonus a really good documentary about Fujimori.

youtube.com/watch?v=N1Aiq6GqrpE&t=0m0s

1932 Revolution, São Paulo troops.

General Calixto Garcia (on the right in the front), one of the leaders of the Cuban Rebels, and American Brig. General William Ludlow during the Cuban war of Independence.

Members of the MRTA leftist terrorist group taking the Japanese Embassy in Lima, Peru, along with 72 hostages

Remains of the USSMaine, its supposed mining was one of the sparks of the Spanish American War. Later investigations suggest that it was not a mine under the ship that caused the explosion, but most likely something inside the ship.

They took like 350, but released all the women and children, including Fujimori's mother. Lul

Colombian recruitment poster during the 1932 Colombian Peruvian War, also known as the Leticia incident.

A commando taking out the terrorist flag from the embassy after succesfully completing the Operation Chavín de Huántar, considered one of the most impactant hostage rescue operations in history. 1997. This was the end of the terrorist era in Peru.

Didn't that situation last a year or someshit?

Another Colombian propaganda poster for the war, a war where most of the deaths were from Tropical disease. kek