When is the 1998 Volkswagen Beetle going to go up in value? Should I pick a nice one up now?

When is the 1998 Volkswagen Beetle going to go up in value? Should I pick a nice one up now?

I remember going to the vw dealer with my family back then to buy a Passat and seeing the "new beetle" and thought it was pretty cool.

Anyway when are they going to start appreciating in value??

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/car-culture/g6624/ten-cars-that-kicked-off-major-design-trends/?
youtube.com/watch?v=BOTH2ehTQXg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hahahahhahahhahahahahahahahaha

What. It's almost 20 years old. In a few more it's a classic and not many are even on the road to begin with anymore.

The only one that'll go up in value is the RSI.

In order for a car to become a "classic" it needs to be fun to drive, rare or have interesting origins. The 2000s Beetle is a joke. Its uncomfortable, looks ridiculous, has nothing interesting to it like the Old Beetle which is literally part of Western culture.
The New Beetle was VAG's attempt at cashing in on nostalgia and a "fashion sense".
Why would anyone want this over an older Beetle?

It's not a death trap like the old one and looks cute, that's enough for a lot of girls.
They don't know, or care, that it's literally a Golf with a bodykit.

My old Civic is also almost 20 years old. Is that also a classic?

Girls never have and never will determine which car qualifies as a desirable classic.

>looks cute
It looked trendy at the end of the 90s. Now it looks bland and ridiculous.
Plus it drives like shit.

No woman will want to buy that.

Girls do not care about collectors cars. Bug will only decrease in value.

I know plenty of girls who want one just because it's cute.

No because it wasn't a game changer. Think about it. The "new beetle" started the whole "refreshed classic" car design fad. If it weren't for the beetle we wouldn't have the 2005 mustang design or the challenger design or the camaro design of today. The beetle started that and it holds an important place in history for starting that whole concept.

So this car deserves some recognition for that and I think it will get it one day so I'm looking to pick one up and hold onto it for when it's value goes up.

>the new beetle was a game changer
My sides

But it was. It started the trend of refreshed classic designs. Look at the mustang for fuck sakes. The new beetle planted that idea in their minds.

I'd go as far to say that the new beetle saved the mustang and camaro. It gave the designers new inspiration and everybody loved the refreshed classic designs that came from Ford chev and dodge. It was all thanks to the new beetle.

I'd love to see what Ford chev and dodge would have come up with for a design if they didn't go with the refreshed classic idea of the new beetle. The mustang would've looked like ass ( look at the generations before 2005) and the camaro probably would've remained dead.

Give the new beetle the credit it deserves you morons. Or at least give me some credit for being right in this matter.

Dude. Stop posting.

No one is gonna trace the resurrection of retro designs back to a Golf with a bodykit.

ok.... i hate to say it but.... hes kind of right....

>give the beetle some credit
Fuck off faggot. You asked for the truth and the truth is that the New Beetle is utter shit and it will never ever appreciate in value. No-one who takes themselves seriously will want to drive one and you're a faggot for buying one.

Samefag summerfag
Leave

Go to number 10.

roadandtrack.com/car-culture/g6624/ten-cars-that-kicked-off-major-design-trends/?

I'm op and I looked for other opinions that agree with me and I found them. I am pretty smart. The camaro would be dead if it weren't for the beetle.

Damn sometimes I surprise myself with how good I am.

You're a fucking embarrassment to this board.

>volkswagen and value in one sentence
fuck off

Literally the only cool New Beetle.

itt bait

How is this bait. I've posted real thought and proof of that thought. It is the first retro refresh designs whether you like it or not. It's the truth.

You have a bit of a point but for the american market the refreshed classic design was almost innevitable. Because of the rise of the classic car market of 03-07 and it crashed. Heh.

It wasn't inevitable. It took Germans with the new beetle to start it all. I think the camaro would still be dead if it weren't for the beetle.

Hating beetles is a meme.

Probably not for a long time, they're not breaking down or rusting anytime soon. It is ultimately just a golf with a body kit but it does have that legendary late 90s vee dub reliability. There's tons of them on the road with 500k or more, people are realizing that they're not just a novelty but a well built, efficient car. There's a reason there are as many on the road today as when the 2nd gen came out. Beetles and golfs are just about the most reliable car you can buy from that time period.

Confirmed for never having driven a beetle. The 1.8L turbo is punchy as fuck and the low end torque will make a WRX or Supra sweat. It can comfortably hit 130mph. The back seats have a low head clearance, but there's plenty of room in the front. Plenty of visibility, a forgiving clutch, comfy leather seats and a cool shape makes for a fun, zippy driving experience. It is a quick little car. They're a blast and you get in a good mood every time you sit in one, if you aren't too beta and insecure to do it.

>No one who takes themselves too seriously will buy one

I don't see how that's a bad thing. Plenty of lifted pick ups out there for the insecure betas.
Pic related is my dashboard and I'm not even ashamed of it. Wife is buying a Volvo so when I DD her beetle I'm not even changing the dash.

Thank you for your real world review sir.

This post is a great representative of the state of the board in 2016

Thanks mate.

100%, get the 1.8T GLX. The 1.6 GLS is slow as shit and has those shitty fabric seats. And the TDI isnt bad, good on gas, but the diesel gearbox is finicky and still a lot slower than the 1.8T.

The older air cooled ones keep rising in value but the body style you posted will only go up once the original is so high no one can justify spending so much on a shit car. And even then the only people who will make the value increase are those who cannot afford an air cooled bug but want to to be a part of the group

Oh I'm sorry, not only am I NOT a virgin, and I actually own a car, I drive a car that wasn't featured in gook cartoons. Guess I'm what's wrong with the board...

what other boards do you visit f@m?

>/trash/man reporting in

That article gave me cancer

>those who cannot afford an air cooled bug but want to to be a part of the group

painstakingly restore a iconic classic car
join an owners club full of seasoned owners who know the struggle and share your love of the vehicles idiosyncratic property's
then some vapid casual shows up with an abomnable cash grab pig in lipstick

its just annoying when someone shows up in a car that they only put money into (if that)
and then expect to be taken seriously when their unrelated car is so new it could be crashed or break down and that would not be a big deal
>insurance will pay for a new one just like it
>oh that's covered by warranty
>its just a car

Where do you hangout.

ukvcc but the low effort people show up everywhere
and they are always trying to leech off prestige and gate crash community's

they never decide anything for them self and just follow fads
their big ego demands phrase and acceptance that their ethos does not earn

If someone showed up in a brand new 550hp Subaru sti would you have respect.

they don't know about that Subaru Leone lyfe
but even a bug eye would be better received than a 3rd or 4th gen just on looks alone never mind that the Subaru does not really change much
vs someone who shows up to a bmc mini meet with a bmw cuv or that both the new beetle(vw polo) and fiat 500(fiat panda) are ff aping rr body lines

I own a manual beetle. Do you know how shitty that interior and seating position is? Blindspots everywhere as well.

What year?

He's right though. You don't remember the huge hype when the bug came back out?
youtube.com/watch?v=BOTH2ehTQXg

Thank you sir. This proves my point excellently. It will be a classic soon and well kept examples will appreciate in value.