ITT: post worst roundabouts

ITT: post worst roundabouts
>pic related roundabout in my hometown
>yes that is a streetcar line going straight through it

WHAT THE FUCK

Neither of these are difficult to understand, or drive.
Know where youre going, and its no issue.

I've witnessed multiple accidents at my local one, and people are always almost hitting me.

This one's not too bad, northern California doesn't have many

h-how do i get out?

>4 lanes
>No in-circle lane markings apart from 1 at the bottom
>3 lanes each entrance, one at 4.

Fuck me, no wonder there's accidents constantly.

Treat each small circle as an individual one.

>yes that is a streetcar line going straight through it

Holy shit why???

You don't

This one actually makes sense. Instead of going all the way around to make a right (left in most countries), you can sort of cut across.

>have to cut across fifteen lanes of traffic to get anywhere
britain yes

>worst roundabouts
What's wrong with it? Seems perfectly normal to me

This used to be a perfectly functional circle. Then they cut a route through the middle and added two traffic lights. It's now a horrible mess.

that isn't a roundabout

that's a fucking post modern art masterpiece

WHO DID THIS

Any roundabout here sucks because faggots always approach them like they're stopsigns and sit at the yields forever because they're overcautious bitches that shouldn't be driving themselves to begin with.

Nor a roundabout by name, it's called hanger lane gyratory. Driveso likemail a fucking big roundabout though.

8 lanes at widest point, muricans are not allowed.

Fuck you auto correct

hanger lane a shit
elephant was also horrendous
also purley one way system during rush hour

>fucking around in cities skylines
>made something similar to that
>backups for miles
roundabouts are really only good if you've got a lot of traffic and a lot of intersecting roads

Europeans will defend this

elephant is worse now
bring back the roundabouts

people aren't aware of how roundabouts work and they will stop in the middle to let people in.
fucking old people

Round a bouts are super easy to use and are so much quicker than stop signs, just have to stick to the rule of give way to the right (if you're in the UK)

exactly. Its not bad hahah, but its the worst

Fuck that place I had to go through it during driver training

utility vehicles

Good.

Ah you think the roundabout is your ally? You merely adopted the circle. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the lanes until I was already a man, by then they were nothing to me but constricting!”

I'm American and what is this

NJ DOT

There's two county roads and the airport entrance. Traffic gets backed up from arriving flights.

Holy hell, why?

Near-Swindonian reporting in, I drive over that semi-regularly. It's really not that bad. We have another mini version with only three called the Moonraker's roundabout which is also pretty easy to understand.

>Live in the Deep South
>Town Square floods
>new rebuilding project!
>what used to be a normal 4way stop becomes a roundabout
>blacks can't understand roundabouts
>old people can't understand roundabouts
>first day the roundabout is open, morning commute, a black guy turns left into traffic
>people stopping to let others in
>just general bad experiences

Roundabouts work in Europe because they are a staple of the roadway.

In the Deep South they are only constructed by city planners who think that adding a roundabout will make their town look cultured or something stupid.

Roundabouts are great when there's like, no traffic. Otherwise they're total dogshit.

There's a roundabout in my neighborhood, right outside the gate to my house which divides the two halves of my subdivision. People CANNOT use the fucking roundabout to save their lives.

>First moved in
>Roundabout is unmarked, but it's clearly a roundabout so typical road rules should apply
>My house is located in Subdivison 1 near the edge of the wall/gate which separates us from the outside world
>See retards wrongly using the roundabout every day

>4 weeks ago
>Black lady driving an Infinity QX80 comes speeding around the wrong way on the roundabout
>Ends up stopping, I'm honking at her, she ends up getting out of the car
>Starts screaming at me
>"WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING YOU LITTLE FAT ASSHOLE YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY"
>Bitch, you're going the wrong way. Do you not know how to use a fucking roundabout?
>She ends up pulling into a space in the park area and I pass her, flip her off

>3 weeks ago
>Entering my subdivision when a blue Mustang drives the wrong way in the roundabout, and enters the gate behind me while it's closing
>Ends up speeding deep into the subdivision blasting shitty Mexican music

>2 1/2 weeks ago
>Leaving a friend's house at the 2nd subdivision
>3 cars all come speeding from the main road and go the wrong way in the roundabout towards me
>Don't leave the gate because I know they won't stop
>They speed through the gate, trying to get all 3 cars in the entrance

>Last week
>Leaving my house to go to the range
>Scion tC cuts THROUGH THE MIDDLE of the roundabout to park at the Rec area
>Nearly hits a kid on his bike on the sidewalk

Fucking Texans don't know how a roundabout works.

>the entire purpose of roundabouts is to avoid traffic lights
>proceed to put a dozen traffic lights on a roundabout
>THREE FUCKING TRAFFIC LIGHTS JUST TO TURN LEFT
Holy hell, that road planner ought to be skinned and torched.

Shitty layout of my neighborhood for reference.

If you know what you're doing, you can get through it in an instant while laughing at the tourists who have no idea how this works.

>know where youre going
>pick lane before entering roundabout
>stick to lane in roundabout
>know when your turn off is coming up
>take lane that allows you to turn off
Done.

But i always hear horror stories about big roundabouts, and i wonder who let these people drive.

where I'm from we don't believe in roundabouts, I get nervous every time

this is probably the worst one. no lane markings and french drivers

3 lanes, no markings

>and i wonder who let these people drive.
Not all driving tests are hard enough to weed out the people who can't drive.

Also, that roundabout is a yield to the right kind of roundabout (so traffic on the roundabout has to yield to entering traffic, which is regulated through traffic lights). So no matter where you're actually going, best plan is usually to cut off as many people as possible while getting to the inner lanes (mind you, there's no lane delimitation markings on it, wouldn't be fun). Getting out is pretty easy once you start to ignore traffic behind you. Whatever shit you pull, they're gonna try to avoid crashing into you so...

>french drivers
I'm one myself (from a Parisian suburb, going through Paris on a weekly basis usually) and I really don't get the stigma. Sure we mostly drive around like morons casually endangering everyone in a twenty feet radius around our cars, but Parisian people expect that and react accordingly, leading to a somewhat decently flowing traffic (or at least, it's ok to drive like a dick to save time, those who don't usually stay out of your way).

Driving in other major cities is a pain though. Every time I visit my grandparents in western France I'm amazed at the shit I see over there.

>big cities are a pain
Exactly. You've proven it.

this one actually has 6 mini roundabouts

is that Elephant and Castle?
Fuck me the roundabout was bad but not that bad

yes

>mfw I drive a reasonably well dented 17 year old Clio

Is this Sniff Petrol? That site is the greatest car site ever.

arguably thats the roadworks making it worse
jsut remembered another on, barking / north circular roundabout

not really..

"yes that is a streetcar line going straight through it"

we never asked you, dumbshit faggot

>traffic in the circle must yield to traffic entering
It's a fucking mess.

>let's guide at least three major bus lines, cross town traffic and everyone driving to the city centre through this literal square!
>oh, we threw in a tram line for good measure :^)

It makes sense in this case I believe. Although priority to traffic on the roundabout would make for a better average speed while on the roundabout, that would also make entering the roundabout nearly impossible on the minor roadways (so anything that isn't on the Champs-Elysée to Porte Maillot axis).

With so many lanes available (on many parts of the pictures you can see 7+ cars across and room for more), the inner ones will naturally flow reasonably well while the inner ones will tightly (sometime have to fold mirrors to let a cyclist pass-tight) pack up in front of their exit, making room for people to enter.

b-but at least it looks cool on google maps!

but then you clog up the traffic flow because there are motorists that need to change lanes to reach their exit

there are 8 or 9 lanes in this roundabout but the roads themselves have 4 entry lanes max.

the only way giant roundabouts like this can work effectively is if you have the same amount of entry lanes as you do actual lanes, so traffic does not become cloggedc by people changing lanes to reach their exit. the inner lanes are fucking redundant because the roundabout loses efficiency the more lanes you add to it.

>I drive an old dented 205

>there are motorists that need to change lanes to reach their exit
That's the part where you plan ahead and exploit the gaps to get in the packing up lanes without blocking the inner lanes.

That's not efficient, though. The road should not need "exploiting", that is an effect of the road being absolutely shitty.

The most efficient course of action would be to sit in the outermost lane and follow that around until you reach the required exit. This cuases traffic to back up, so then additional lanes are required to ease traffic throughput. But then when these people need to exit, there's no dedicated lane so they have to interrupt the flow of traffic in the lane already suffering from slow flow that it causes even more reduced flow, but this interrupts flow for the inner lanes too. It doesn't fucking help that buses stop in the center of the roundabout then have to cut across 9 FUCKING LANES to reach an exit.

Holy fuck no wonder the French are so easy to shoot and explode, they're too fucking hopped up on shitty wines to realize how fucking retarded their shit is.

Google maps /satellite it, user.

> car parked on the median
> arrows pointing the wrong way

WAT

Looks pretty though.

This one is mostly bad because it is like 50% tourists at any given time who have no fucking idea where they are going.

And this one isn't that bad, but it is the only one in the whole Chicago area so nobody knows how to use it.
>only use the right lane if you are taking the next exit!!!!!!
If people could just figure that out, it would work fine.

There's this one roundabout near my house with a four-way stop.

These are not arrows but yield signs

>northkoreanavy.gif

Best part? There's five roundabouts on that 1.5 km stretch of road, and this is the only one with these fucked up left turns.

mah nigga

That's not bad at all. I usually slow down before roundabout, if I have never driven through it. With this one you just have to choose your lane early and you should be fine. I'm quite sure that before roundabout there are clear signs which lane to choose.In worst case you can always choose a left one and just drive around roundabout until you know which lane to choose. Curiously enough designers made it in such way that theoretically you shouldn't move from the most left lane to the more right lane. quite baffling desu.
>Pic related, roundabout in my city.

why even have roundabouts? they look like they take up a ton more space than a normal 3 or 4 way intersection?

so kids can play in the middle while their parents figure out how to navigate it

They do but when used and designed properly they reduce traffic.

>"what ? city planners ? that's a bullshits job"

how many are designed properly?

how many actually reduce traffic, or is this shit all theoretical?

any pre-roundabout to post roundabout studies, or are these studies pulled out of the asses of the people getting paid to make them?

nijmegen