Are there any automatic transmission wizards here who are able to help me with a problem I'm having with my automagic?...

Are there any automatic transmission wizards here who are able to help me with a problem I'm having with my automagic?, specifically a 4l60-e

yeah it's fucked and also it's an automatic.

Would help if you told us the problem? Also what car it is in.

theres usually only one problem automatics have, other than being automatic and that's slipping. which means you've toasted the clutch packs.

if it's not going into a certain gear your valve body is either clogged or a valve is seized / relay / servo / w.e controls it is broken.

but you didnt say what its doing so..

VT Commodore, aussie shit

every time it hits 4th gear the revs will drop to 1.5k and it will rumble really loud, like the engine is struggling in too high a gear, sputters when coasting, and revs off it's head without really pushing the car forwards

I changed both the fluid and filter, and the TCC solenoid, the car now runs perfect while it's cold, but as soon as it warms up it comes back, the fluid was also black as fuck

if I keep it in 3rd gear it's fine, it's whenever it hits 4th

Thought it might have been ausfaggotry. Sounds like it's fucked desu. They are that cheap id just chuck another box in it, super easy as well. Also a good idea to check that your trans cooler isn't blocked, that will fuck another box in no time, and the fact that your oil is black quickly suggests it may be blocked.

I changed the TCC solenoid after looking in to the problem, seen a lot of links saying that is possibly the problem but I guess it isn't that

3-4 clutch pack going. Common problem with 700r4 and 4l60e. The factory coolers suck and they kill the trans in short order. Always put in a aftermarket filter with these transmissions.

How would I go about checking it?. No doubt that transmission has never been serviced in the whole 270k kms it's been running,the fluid was so fucking black

Anything I should know about them before attempting a change, and does it sound like a problem that could cause it to explode when I least expect it?

Roughly what would that cost to replace if I took the transmission in to a shop?

it's not gonna explode it will just eventually stop going into whatever gears that clutch packs controls.
shits fucking fucked mate, big time. needs a rebuild, probably just that clutch pack.
might get real hot from slipping and start toasting fluid too, but I've never owned/worked on an auto so Idk.

You might as well just find another working used trans will be cheaper than rebuild. Use an aftermarket cooler and a magnefine filter inline with it to keep it alive longer.

a lot. probably a few hundo (in the US)

thanks for the help, going to go to a shop and get their opinion then go from there

If you can fit it, a stock ford superduty cooler is fucking amazing.

Is there any fuckery involved with removal/installation on these transmissions?, I've gotten a trans down to the point of removing it but thats all, haven't actually slid one out and put it back in

nah. same as any.

Sweet I'll look in to finding a new one

Thanks for the help

they are heavy cunts though. going to be a bitch by yourself, best to have a friend help IMO.

I have a trans jack

Nope, they are very easy. Make sure you remove the three torque converter bolts and push the converter back before removing the trans, otherwise you will have a big mess. Also the cooler lines can be an absolute prick on those, crows foot spanner helps a lot.