Ok Veeky Forums, do you park your car on gear + Handbrake or Neutral + Handbrake and why

Ok Veeky Forums, do you park your car on gear + Handbrake or Neutral + Handbrake and why.

>Inb4: P for parking
>Inb4: Don't use either, don't care if it rolls.

Handbrake only most of the time,

Will put it in gear + handbrake only if it's on a sharp incline

This. Me and my brother and dad leave our cars in neutral and leave the brake up.
My mom and sister and older brother leave their cars in first gear and brake up.
But all of us leave it in gear brake up on inclines. It's common sense

in reverse and handbrake

>saab

Dad's bike
middle stand+handbrake
>Maxi scooter

Own bike
kickstand

Unless youre on a hill, does it make a difference either way? Is there something harmful about leaving it in gear or in neutral when the car is off?

Handbrake and neutral, like I was taught in driver's ed.

Well, there's the fear of the Handbrake shitting itself letting your car roll away.

In reverse gear with the gear lock engaged, wheels turned to the max facing the curb and steering wheel locked in place.
>tfw when I can't get third world out of my system.

This thread is retarded. Only a fucking fool doesnt leave it in first or reverse plus parking brake unless it is freezing and your car is a POS.
>newsflash: parking brakes ocassionaly fail and cables snap. Seen it senpai

This is the correct answer, you can't get better than this desu.

Depending on which way the hill is inclined, either reverse or first plus hand-break.
No reason to not leave it in gear.

This. Just stupid not to leave it in gear, there is no reason at all not to.

No handbrake, gear only

gotta go fast

I ALWAYS just leave it in any gear if the ground is flat with no ebrake! I dunno what the deal is with people. like why pull the ebrake? just fucking leave it in any gear! makes you look like a giant retard pleb with that stupid ebrake pulled

maybe i have autism but fuck you

Yes, you do have autism.

I literally never leave it in gear.
You people take normal driving too seriously. It's fucking cringe.

I just leave it either in first gear if I'm in my Chrysler or in P if in my BMW, rarely if ever use handbrake, except if parking on a incline and have to leave the car running, usually place a rock or something behind the rear wheel just in case.

Gear and no handbrake because my dad told me that the handbrake lines on his shitbox once got frozen in winter

Neutral and handbrake out of habit driving trucks and machinery. Means I don't have to be inside the to start it.

Also seconding this

On 1st gear, no handbrake.

If the car gets bumped, you'll fuck your transmission pretty bad. Don't leave it in gear unless it's necessary, like on a hill.

I worked for a bit in a car rental company and they also toled me its better for the care to only put in the gear to park them if they stand on fland ground... mostly in winter but still... I also only put in a gear.

>Soccer mom trying to park bumps you a lil bit
>Your transmission shits beyond repeatability.

>P and handbrake

>only use parking brake
>soccer mom bumps you a lil bit
>parking brake cable breaks from impact
>your car rolls into 4 others
Good news, your transmission is fine.

I put it in neutral and leave it with both brakes off.

In gear and handbrake. extra security, but really its just habit. and i always stop my car and turn it off while my foots still on the clutch. again, mostly just habit.

>leave in gear
>have AWD car
>shitburger notices your car is in gear
>decides to push it
>all three diffs are now fucked as is transmission
wew

I always leave in in gear, rip the handbrake up all the way, chock all four wheels and tie my tow rope to the nearest solid object.

No it won't. No more force on it than releasing the clutch quickly.

How would this even happen? The engine would just spin you peanut.

Are you retarded? Do you know what bump starting is? The gears are already meshed together. Any impact strong enough to do damage to the gears would leave you with far more problems than your transmission. Think more like a totalled car.

Fucking laughed. What a peanut.

This

fpbp

You should learn a bit more.

Gear and handbrake, but I let the car roll in neutral then engage brake then put it into gear.
It's more like handbrake + gear.

I park my car with the engine running, for a quick getaway.

Used to always leave my car in neutral with handbrake, even on a hill, then one day it rolled down the drive and came through the front door of the house. Now it's always left in reverse and handbrake when on my drive pointing down, or in gear on a steep hill, but still neutral on level or basically level ground.

Retard here. Saw post on the popular threads on the front.

Why not P for Park? what are the benefits of neutral + hand brake?

Help me be not a shitter.

Stop trying to force your shitbox on this board

>Renault handbrake
found the problem

This widebody looks retarded.

My shitbox is dead.

hes talking about stick shift

who handbrakes their automatics?
>i do

Ayyy lmao

>His car doesn't have an auto handbrake feature
What kind of pleb car do you drive?

>borrow brother's truck
>stall it
>figure it's because I haven't driven manuel in a while
>stall it again
>realize he actually has a working parking brake

I do only on hills.

i do it everywhere because i don't like that millimeter of roll/shifting it does before it catches

I leave it in neutral and put bricks behind the tires

I do. I've had auto's pop out of park before.

My handbrake is too slack in my dd to hold the car so I just stick it in P and gtfo

On my manual car I put it in first and apply the handbrake. This way there is a stopping force on all wheels via the gearbox (quattro) and extra on the rear so that shit isn't going anywhere. I also turn the wheels towards the kerb if there is one nearby

When I drove auto I did, was already ingrained in my head by the time I switched to manual so that was a good habit to have.

handbrake, reverse, wheel chocks, and get pull along and attach it to my front tow point and to a tree. can never be too safe.

Except you're leaving the transmission in tension, causing unnecessary wear, and the risk of starting it and it taking off

>leaving the transmission in tension

You just went full retard.

>Responds with a le may may
>Fails to disprove my statement

Handbrake plus in gear. Because the handbrake is just an auxiliary drum brake on the driveline. Not so good if one wheel slips.

Op you started a shit storm in this thread lol

>Depending on which way the hill is inclined, either reverse or first plus hand-break.
>No reason to not leave it in gear.

If the handbrake fails, the engines compression is what holds the car, not whether the gear is forward or reverse.

On a hill steep enough to overcome the engine's compression, a car will happily roll forward in reverse gear; and backwards in forward gear.

but do you chuck all four wheels on both sides of the wheel?

>babby's first day on Veeky Forums

theoretically you are not wrong.. but has it ever happened before? considering there is zero momentum at that moment (let's imagine the handbrake cable suddenly snaps), the very first attempt to move will be held back by at least one fully closed cylinder trying to compress.. i dunno man, maybe

Gear always. Handbrake on hills only.

gear + handbrake

how is this even a question

I dont bother putting the brake up. neutral with the brake down, because my driveway is a natural bowl and the car isnt going anywhere