I've decided to get a mid-size pickup,and I'm in the middle of doing my homework

I've decided to get a mid-size pickup,and I'm in the middle of doing my homework.

Any suggestions or comments? Best years? Known issues? I'm torn between the Colorado and the Tacoma at the moment.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AlOjkLsAOUI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Protip: If youre new to /o dont ask for a advice, threads like these are invaded by shitposters

dodge ram

chryslers are not up for consideration for obvious reasons

What's your budget? Cash or financing? How much down and what do you make a month if financing?

Go with the Tacoma, best all around mid-size pickup.

The new Ranger comes out shortly in the States, that'd probably be my choice.

Tacoma is best taco.

There is no better light, practical all-purpose truck like a Tacoma or a Ford Ranger. Since the Federal Gov't effectively killed the Ranger, the Tacoma is the only realistic option for a truck left on the market. Another 5 years and the new model it will be as obese as the current F-250 so many as well get one before their market value skyrockets.

>budget- thinking 12k or so
>financing
>2-3k down payment. Is this realistic/normal?
>make a hair over 3k a month

>Finding a 12k truck to finance.

Both the new Colorado and new Tacoma are nice trucks. I think I would pick the Tacoma for it's more comfortable ride, nicer interior, and superior off-road performance.

I've never bought/leased my own vehicle before. I'm trying to learn what to do :(

Save for a little longer and put 5k down on a 20k truck

Well don't buy anything new because dealers rape you with money, you'll be tied down by payments and it won't hold half its value. Save longer and buy a $6000 used truck.

Taco seems really nice. I'd get a model with like 10-15k on it, so you don't have to pay the new off the lot tax

>gm
Why? Literally everything that comes from that company is trash.

>ignoring the corvette

>cherry picking

Do not fucking respond

Every car crashes. What's your point?

assmad gm fangirl spotted
No car company crashes as much as GM.

How do you figure?

Literally every car crashes. What's your point you fucking idiot?

Find a company that crashes as much as GM. You won't because every other manufacturer has no problem creating vehicles that can handle.

Who cares how much it crashes. Most people don't use tracks anyways. Corvette's are still faster in a drag race.

No, they aren't.

youtu.be/AlOjkLsAOUI

Fucking this, 2 years left on my f150 and I already wana trade her in for a doge. If I wasn't getting molested by my local dealer I'd do it today.
Financing was a horrible idea.

>not street legal

Is that really your argument? 6 second corvette's aren't street legal either.

GM BTFO!!!!

I was pleasantly surprised by a Nissan Frontier crewcab SV 4wd that I test drove. Assuming you can get one at a good discount, it'd be a good choice. Torquey 4.0L unlike the latest gen of MPG-optimized midsizers (Colorado and Tacoma), but you will pay for it at the pump with fullsize-truck MPG.

From what I understand, Tacoma has the best rear legroom and is by far the most offroad capable owing mostly to fantastic ground clearance and suspension tuned specifically for offroad use. Flip side is you sit with your legs pointing straight, and less like you're in a chair, as you would be in the Frontier for example. The Frontier is decent offroad but lacks the Taco's clearance and packs some extra weight because it basically has a Titan frame underneath. Colorado is a hot mess offroad: poor suspension tuning, crap clearance. But I think the Colorado is probably the most refined variant on road.

Most of that is hearsay and reviews I've seen and watched, I've only driven a new '14 Tacoma Crewcab TRD and a new '16 Frontier Crewcab 4wd SV, no direct knowledge of the Colorado.

Here come the Toyota shills.

The Tacoma comes with anemic engines that get the worst mpg in its class, without even making up for it in power. They're all around less durable and will literally never be able to do real work.

Tacomas are the "truck" for people who only bought one to seen outdoorsy to their fellow cubicle but only use it to get to the dump

Reminder the Tacoma is Isis favorite combat truck

the taco and the colorado are both great trucks, and both would serve well. I'm a little skeptical of the half-atkinson cycle of the 3.5L in the taco, I was a little disappointed at it's power ratings and lack of return when it comes to fuel economy. However, that's mostly because the 3.6 in the chevy is a fucking beast.

the big problem with the light trucks, is that since they're high in demand from old people (who can afford them), they don't really drop in price. the taco, being a toyota, will be basically MSRP. the colorado will go for a bit less, but not a lot less.

In the meantime, an F-150 or Silverado will go for SIGNIFICANTLY under MSRP because of massive volume. Consider that you may find yourself in a situation where a moderately equipped, much larger, and much more powerful 2.7T Ferd will cost you the same amount, if not less, than a moderately equipped 3.6L Colorado. this sense of judaism I have that cannot deal with the fact I'd be paying more for less, cannot handle this fact. I can't buy a colorado if I can get a full blown F-150 or silverado with larger payloads and towing, and not a LOT less mileage, for similar 30-ish costs.

4 cylinders for either midsize truck, by the way, is not really an option. They're few and far between pretty useless. They'll get along, but you're not going to be able to do much in the actual trucking department.

Wait until next year for the Ranger.

colorado=shit
frontier=double shit
taco=not shit

you do the math op

It'd be really awesome if you could order a new truck in any generation previously offered by the manufacturer.

Thank you for all the advice. It seems some Supreme Crispy Taco Shills have made their way in.

Like I said, I'm not looking to spend too much (12k total), so new is probably not an option right now. I'm not planning on ripping down old tree trunks or hauling farm equipment. I camp a lot, so I was just looking for something to get me in and out of the sticks, with decent mileage.

Also, like I said, this is my first time getting a vehicle on my own, so any advice regarding haggling/bullshitting/financing would be greatly appreciated.

They are consistently known for making reliable trucks. Gmc and Hummer (back in the day) were given high reliability marks because they didnt have GM cars to weigh them down.

Id take a Canyon with the Duramax diesel over a Tacoma, but Id take a TRD Tacoma over any gas Canyon/Colorado. The mew TRD Pro Tacoma is especially tasty looking.