What is the best blind spot solution (other than turning and looking, each time)

what is the best blind spot solution (other than turning and looking, each time)

the blind spot mirror the best bet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2tDI4ThwdXg
audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/372709-Best-20-mod-I-have-ever-done-on-any-of-my-cars-36-quot-rear-view-mirror-inside*
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Turn and look.

look, then turn

spot mirrors are your best bet, been using them since i started driving and they're indispensable for city driving

move your head and neck

stop being an invalid danger to yourself and everyone around you

>what is the best blind spot solution (other than turning and looking, each time)

You should have purchased the option with the car of the blind spot cameras AND the blind spot warning sensors. When backing up, the main display screen even shows border lines and not just your projected traveling path area on the widescreen display. The blind spot sensors also look for cars and pedestrians and they work at night too.

My main problem is that when backing up, a few aggressive pedestrians (most stop) exerting the letter of the law (pedestrians have right of way) keep walking across the back of my car. They fully expect me to stop backing up. It's just too scary backing up sometimes.

Your Mother riding shotgun in my truck works great

my dad taught me this trick, which is only safe to do in roads and highways, you can look at the car in the lane you are trying to merge into, after you pass it when you see it in your side mirror with a glance, you can just move in front of it.

Sup Spadaro

How good are catseye mirrors? My car has a fucking giant blind spot.

The best solution is to check your fucking blind spots properly.
Check the mirrors, then check the spots manually, then signal and manoeuvre.

This is what I do on my bike when im too lazy to turn my head.

it's a nice trick. pretty much all you can do if you're driving something without much view for blind sides (like a 2 door truck with no back windshield)

youtube.com/watch?v=2tDI4ThwdXg
Is this valid? Somebody tried doing it like that?

works 4 me :^)

I have a fiesta with them and they are FUCKING AMAZING

How do all cars not have these?

>extends the vision from the rear window to include a bunch of pillars and headrests

They come in various sizes, mine is angled so I can see my blind spot. But I know you're just doing the whole "single line nitpicking meme arrows" thing.

Adjust your mirrors so they're not pointing at your car and the cars behind you like most people do.

What I do is drive in the right lane on the highway and as a car is slowly passing me I have the mirror adjusted so that as it's exiting the view of the mirror it's entering the view of my peripheral vision. If you do this you'll realize how far out your mirror has to be aimed out. It's totally fine you'll just have to be reliant on your rear view mirror for looking at the traffic behind you which is more convenient anyways.

With the mirrors adjusted like this I still do a quick glance for a lane change. You never know if there's a little motorcycle and it just gives me more confidence. I'm twisting my neck less since there's virtually no blind spot which is good because I don't want to pull my attention away from what's ahead of me for to long.

Yes, you get used to not having your own car for reference and your side view mirrors actually become functional! It's definitely worth playing around with.

I do this. im not standing in the parking lot waiting for your dumb ass to move, i have the right of way on foot.

>I do this. im not standing in the parking lot waiting for your dumb ass to move, i have the right of way on foot.

You're not the only one. Lots of people walk in back of cars that have their reverse lights on. It seems dangerous to do although if you want to collect accident money for a bruise, that's the way to do it.

Believing in natural selection, I wait for reversing cars

However I will walk in front of your car at Walmart. Fuck you, I'm walking and you're in motorized transport.

I don't understand what you're saying. if the person is in the mirror? so?

you're taking the time to be descriptive, I appreciate it. but it's still confusing to me.

>How good are catseye mirrors?
Are they removable if I decide I don't like them? Do you use it on both the passenger and driver side mirrors?

What diameter should I get? I've only seen these small 1.25 inch diameter ones and any image reflected in them is tiny.

Adjust your right mirrors to only have about 10% overlap with your rear view mirror. i.e. The leftmost 10% of your interior rear view mirror should coincide with the inside edge of the left exterior mirror.

ive done this for years

read it in the newspaper somewhere

this is the only way to set your mirrors

These things are a sure sign that the driver is shit. If you drive a car (especially a small one like a fiesta ffs) you do not have a blind spot. Or it's maybe like a 5 degree field of vision, which means that the rest of the car should be seen either in your mirror or in your periphery. Blind spots are only significant in trucks, and even then only larger trucks.

Learn how to place your fucking mirrors people, fuck

>These things are a sure sign that the driver is shit.
You haven't sat in the driver's seat of many of the new cars. They have huge blind spots due to Styling >> Safety. If a car is within many feet of my rear, I can't see it except for maybe its roof. Even if I sit in the back seat and try to move my head to the top of the rear windshield, rear visibility is terrible. The rear pillars are also wide and gradually sloped. The gradual (instead of steep) slope actually increases the amount of horizontal area they block by quite a bit.

aftermarket rearview mirror

My drivers side mirror can't angle outwards that much.

>aftermarket rearview mirror

Can't. My mirror is one of those smart mirrors with buttons on it and the mirror also automatically dims at night for bright headlights. The age of aftermarket rearview mirrors is coming to a close because more and more rearview mirrors are also becoming video displays.

What if they are standard on your car?

Best of best solution here. Turn head and look? Please... it's the 21st century

probably one of those extended rear view mirrors. supposedly allows 180 degrees of vision. just turn and look tho wtf?

>Styling >> Safety

Actually its safety in mind that leads to giant A, B and C pillars which make blind spots a particular problem.

To get around this Ford introduce the cat-eye mirriors to come standard

l2backin

It's safety and cost

Stronger materials and smaller, less solid pillars, maybe even ones with windows in them? nah, too jewish for that shit if it's not a fucking porche. also it makes the styling less aggressive and tank-like.

my car came with these from the factory

they do their job

Good point, but why speak of companies as if they are entities?

Companies are in the business of making money; its not that unheard of to cut corners.

You can go around corners and still make money

In fact, you might have more money than you would have had you not cut corners, because you would not have bought a mustang

#MEME #DANK #WHATTENSE??

I never stop for faggots that can't back into their spot. Just step behind them, give one good solid whack to the back of their car with an open hand. Added bonus that it always scares the shit out of them.

>I never stop for faggots that can't back into their spot. Just step behind them, give one good solid whack to the back of their car with an open hand.
You can do that in the USA, but would you do that in China or Russia?

I too was taught this trick, and mainly use it for highway driving. However, I don't rely on just the passenger side mirror. I wait until I can see the driver of the car I'm trying to pass in my rearview mirror (I see them first in my side, and second in my rearview),

He means if you can see the other driver in your mirror, then there is enough of a gap for you to safely lane change.

>He means if you can see the other driver in your mirror, then there is enough of a gap for you to safely lane change.

Yeah, I don't use that trick because the other driver sometimes gets passive aggressive and will accelerate to keep me from getting in front of him. So I still have to get far enough in front to see him in the mirror to prove to myself there is a gap. Otherwise, if I simply use that trick to pass and then move into the space immediately, I will hit him as he is zooming forward to close the gap and stop me from getting in front.

Some drivers will zoom up to close the gap if they think you are passing to get in front of them. The worst ones for that are the very young looking drivers and the luxury SUV drivers as those almost always speed up to stop me from entering a gap.

Perhaps it is my fault for using turn signals. But I always signal when lane changing on the freeway. Yes, yes, I know you will say don't do that if you want the space. But I am still hoping that by showing courtesy on the road, that others will feel heartened to do so as well and continue to use signals instead of just brute force shoving their car into the spot AKA "cutting off" the driver behind them.

Just turn into the next lane as fast as you can. If somebody is in your way they won't be for long.

>ride a motorbike
>use rear-view mirrors or strech your neck like a fucking emu or something

I see that more and more bike riders have cams on their bike AND helmet. I guess that's necessary with the way some people will be obnoxious. It's got to be recorded for insurance purposes.

>the face of a cuck

Nah, he just can't see a solution to the problem.

I wish that had been an option in my car but it wasn't for that model year 2016.

Just look for an aftermarket product. Verify your dealer doesn't have one first. If the dealer has one, check its name and model and go online to see if there is a lower price.

Wink mirror, it'll eliminate the sun visors though

>noob leaf on the steering wheel

you just need to check'em

what is this sorcery

checked

Position your mirrors correctly and there is no blind spot.

This is the fucking problem. If you can see your car in your side mirrors they aren't aligned correctly.

>a barrage of visual distractions moving within your visual range at all times while driving.

yeah, no thanks.

It's not just that. The OEM rear view mirror is necessary as it has a number of functions and even buttons in it. I didn't get the highest end option package or else the mirror would even have rear widescreen video in it to get rid of the blindspot problem.

It sucks that the manufacturer made having a blind spot a selling point for the buying the MAX options package to increase profits. It's a safety issue that should have the driver held hostage to buy the solution. Thanks, Chevy.

You need to set your mirrors correctly. Sit in the car and lean your head to the drivers window. Adjust the morror so you barely see your car side. The lean your head to the middle of the car. Adjust your passenger mirror so you can barely see the side of the car.

That should make it so your mirrors cover the blindspots

You must have a difficult time dealing with how fresh it must be in your car.

>tfw I drive a truck
>tfw massive blindspot is accounted for by with massive mirrors
Honestly if you can't see things, you should adjust your mirrors. You don't need to see the side of you car, you need to see things in your left/right lanes.
If you want to see your car's doors that badly, you could always try one of these as a quick cheap fix.

Adjust mirrors out.
Get a rotating blind spot mirror (Walmart) settled on and rotate for best view.

Adjust your side mirrors properly (so you no longer see the sides of your own car because why do you need to see that) and you won't have a blind spot.
>mfw all this technology and options because idiots don't know how to adjust their mirrors right

I wire my backup cams to be on all the time. it's fucking ridiculous to hide that info-watching load on a trailer, merging, moving forward to align before reversing...

Toyota fucked me over though, and made the screen in the mirror time out after a few minutes.

Still backup cams do nothing for blind spot, you need a 3+ camera system for that and honestly it's overrated because you can see what is on either side with proper mirrors, even in a giant lifted truck.

>I wire my backup cams to be on all the time. it's fucking ridiculous to hide that info-watching load on a trailer, merging, moving forward to align before reversing...

I wouldn't know how to "wire" it in my Chevy because it is done by software control. Otherwise it won't display on screen. Panasonic makes the software and already I have experienced a number of coding errors of which one I can get to reliably occur. Another locked up the displays so that not even the off button worked because the button is not really an off switch but just another sensor input. This is part of the problem of drive by wire.

Anyways, state law says that no video display screen may be viewable by the driver when driving, so that is why the video screen is disabled for normal rear view in my car. It surely would be useful since the rear view mirror only sees the top half of car windshields if the car is within 15 feet of me. It's pretty annoying as it means parallel parking usually mean bumper contact. Some cars have no front bumper but only decorative styling fascia (like mine) so that kind of parallel parking bumping is bad and expensive.

>I wire my backup cams to be on all the time
Those were OEM backup cams? So they use a switch instead of software control?

I met Spuds in person once. He's not as funny as when he's on stage.

what good is a mirror with no point of reference?

>what good is a mirror with no point of reference?
However, the driver knows where the mirror is aimed. Thus, the driver knows what location relative to the car is covered by the mirror. There's no need to always have the edge of the car in the mirror.

Perhaps it depends on the specific car, but it has not been my experience that setting the mirrors wider for max coverage eliminates the blind spot entirely.

It's still very helpful in that it makes the blind spots narrow enough that cars don't fit inside it- so maybe 95% of the time I don't have to look over my shoulder to know that there's no room to move. However, the blind spot can still hide something small like a motorcycle, so I still need to check over my shoulder before changing lanes.

>Perhaps it depends on the specific car, but it has not been my experience that setting the mirrors wider for max coverage eliminates the blind spot entirely.

My experience is the same as yours. Aiming the side mirrors to have a wider coverage doesn't get rid of the blind spot. But skillfull aiming of the mirrors will move the blind spot to a location far enough away from the diagonal rears to let you change lanes assuming that the car behind you doesn't also try to move into that space.

I have a lot of blind spot behind me. Only tall cars can be seen if they are closer than 20 feet or so. A honda CRX cannot be seen at 20 feet as I've proven it to myself by finding one of those older ricers and parking somewhat in front of it in a parking lot. By the way, a parking lot is one place you can go to adjust your mirrors to look for cars to your diagonal right or diagonal left sides. Just park at the distance from the target cars that leaves enough space you are comfortable at changing lanes into.

The manufacturers are too much into this current styling fad of boxy front noses and high rear trunk lids to care about safety issues.

Cameras

Tun your head and look, every time.

Haha so wrong. My low slung 2 seat sports car has massive blind spots (Jaguar F-type) but it's negated by blind spot indicators on the mirrors. My last car had huge blind spots too (CTS-V coupe).

This

throw on your signal as a command, not a request, and move over

>see this thread
>make my mirrors wider as the demonstration
>install one of those small curved mirrors
>can't see shit

t-thanks

Do you have some kind of horrible neck injury and are driving to the ER? Because that's the only excuse not to just look to your side.

If you can't look at your surroundings you shouldn't even be driving.

That's how collisions happen if I simply just move into the other car, thus forcing it out of its space. If the other guy had a dashcam, it would record that I was the one in the wrong.

Civic X here, blind spot camera. I wish it was on both sides and turned on without the slight

audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/372709-Best-20-mod-I-have-ever-done-on-any-of-my-cars-36-quot-rear-view-mirror-inside*
or you could have one of the kind with a camera

> not driving a car with a big open greenhouse
> not constantly maneuvering and turning your neck while driving and pretending to be a fighter pilot on the lookout for bogeys
It's like you're not even living fampai

>Get a rotating blind spot mirror (Walmart) settled on and rotate for best view.
Are those the mirrors that mount on top of the side mirror? I saw a car with those yesterday evening. It's a small mirror about 2/5 the height and 2/3 the width of the side mirror. It's housed in black plastic and has a vertical stalk that goes down to the top of the side mirror. So obviously a hole was drilled in the top of the side mirror housing. It does seem to rotate horizontally but that is the only direction it moves, so if your side mirror housing is not perfectly vertical, that added mirror will be at an ugly angle. No idea if you drive fast if that mirror then flops around in the wind and vibrates a hole in your side mirror housing since grit can get between the pedestal and housing to grind away under vibration.

I've seen other mirrors that stick flush to the top surface of the side view mirror. I just can't imagine ruining the lines of my mirror like that, but I'm sort of desperate about the blind spots. It's really annoying and a lot of times I don't like taking my eyes off the cars in front of me because people are unpredictable.

Too many drivers will speed up when they sense someone is passing to get in front of them.

I have a blind spot detection system.

I look there THEN look behind me.

Always look. It will hurt you later.

For me personally, I count the cars as I pass them, and as long as none of the cars I count(ok last car on the right) are faster than me you stand on the throttle and and switch without looking.
I assume this is how it's done with all of the fast cars that have zero rear viability.

They sell those small, curved mirrors that sticks onto your current mirrors. Not the best, but they alert you whenever someone's in your blind spot.

Turning and looking and having your mirrors properly adjusted.

That said, when new cars can lose an SUV in their blind spots, lane-departure warnings and side mirror cameras don't sound so bad.

I'm shocked at how many people still don't know this.
My car would pretty much be undriveable without setting the mirrors like that.

You've gotta turn and look for shit, OP.

and i thought the g35 was pretty bad

that said if you adjust your mirrors correctly and move your head a bit it aint so bad

This is clearly done by someone who doesn't do precision backing very often, or ever.

Actually...the picture you posted gives us nothing other than you seeing the inside of your vehicle a bit better than your factory mirror. In other words, you posted a picture that does nothing other than tell us nothing.