What can you tell me about the 2006 Saturn Ion Redline? Nobody talks about it...

What can you tell me about the 2006 Saturn Ion Redline? Nobody talks about it, can it keep up with the Civic Sis and Focuses and Type Rs of the era and past eras? Can it be tuned and have it's negative aspects ironed out? Twin charging?
Can it keep up with the RWD sportscars?

Can it eat the toe gay?

Or is this more of a straight line shoot car made to give high numbers for a performance trim of an econobox?

I am here. To be.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p6aApSxQwz4
quad4forums.com/forums/
youtu.be/kuEg2yOcCUQ
roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27989/the-2007-saturn-ion-is-one-of-the-worlds-best-forgotten-sleepers/
zzperformance.com/ecotec/stage-kits/zzp-stage-3-kit-1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's a Saturn Cobalt SS

How about a 91 Olds?
In action:
youtube.com/watch?v=p6aApSxQwz4

Its Saturn's version of the Cobalt SS Supercharged, but with plastic body panels and suicide doors.

>can it keep up with Civic Sis and Focusses and Type Rs f the era and past eras
Yes. In fact it's a full second faster down the 1/4 mile than a Civic Si of the same year

>Can it be tuned and have it's negative aspects ironed out?
Yes. Plenty of aftermarket support performance-wise due to the Cobalt being the sister car. The clutch pedal, master cylinder, front strut mounts, and front strut springs are unique to the Saturn. However there is aftermarket to overcome this and the parts that are Ion specific have aftermarket variants. The front struts are interchangable with the Cobalt despite the springs and mounts not.

>Twin charging
Been done multiple times. Contact ZZPerformance for info. Can be done on the cheap using parts from a 2003-2011 Saab 9-3, or properly with a ZZPerformance kit.

>Can it eat the toe gay?
yes. The suspension was tuned for the Nurburgring. If it doesnt handle well enough for you, again, the aftermarket is there to help, including another GM nurburgring tuned suspension (ala Cobalt SS Turbo)

>Or this more of a straight line shoot car made to give high numbers for a performance trim of an econobox?
Definitely a proper performance car.

This is the closest I could find. It's a bit far for me though

Racing homologation special. Normal Quad 442's got a normal LG0 High Output Quad 4 making 180 HP.
High performance W41 cars though made 190 HP. 204 W41 cars were built factory, but the parts specific to it and their factory part numbers are well known to Quad 4 enthusiasts. The car was built for homologation for SCCA Showroom Stock racing, which stated that the race cars could only have stripped interiors, roll cages, and safety features. No other modifications were allowed as the cars were to be as they came off the showroom floor. Oldsmobile dominated that year due to the program.

Completely unrelated car. Different platform, model and engine. The Cutlass Supreme ran on GM's W-body platform while the Quad 442 was based on the Cutlass Calais, which was an N-body car.

Other N-body cars include:
Pontiac Grand Am
Oldsmobile Alero
1997-2003 Chevy Malibu
1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass (not cutlass supreme)
Oldsmobile Achieva
Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
Buick Skylark
Buick Somerset.

What's so good about the N-body? I thought old GM was supposed to be trash. JDM tyte ruled the 80s and 90s performance econobox scene!

GM had rare cars that, underneath the shitty falling apart plastic, is a good platform for driving. GM tries to kill those because it's not a Corvette.

They were light, properly sized and had an independent rear suspension. Performance models of the N-body cars weren't anything to be scoffed at in the late 80s and early 90s. There were turbocharged Grand Ams and then came the High Output Quad 4 cars which turned the small FWD performance scene on its head. GM even had a 250 HP turbocharged Quad 4 ready for production in 1988, but it was canceled for some unknown reason. The Quad 4 engine made 150 HP to 190 HP naturally aspirated from 2.3L. At the time, a lot of the performance V8s in Mustangs and Camaros were much more powerful. As a result the Quad 4 cars were often compared to turbo 4 bangers and V8s in terms of the power they made.
But the Quad 4s had problems with NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness). GMs efforts to improve NVH neutered the engines power output with steadily declining horsepower numbers through the early 90s until it settled at 155 HP for all Quad 4 engines around 1995/1996. In 1996, the 2.3L Quad 4 was revised into the "2.4L Twin Cam" dropping the Quad 4 name but still being interchangeable. The 2.4 was the last iteration of the Quasd 4 and was last used in 2002 model Cavaliers, Sunfires, Aleros, and Grand Ams before it was replaced by the 2.2L Ecotec. To this day, the Ecotec has yet to match the Quad 4 in N/A power in a similar displacement.

>At the time, a lot of the performance V8s in Mustangs and Camaros were much more powerful.
weren't much more powerful. fucking autocorrect.

God that sounds like an amazing history to have in a car. I wish I could find performance N body stuff in my area.

You have to remember. At the time V8 Mustangs and Camaros barely crested 200 HP from 5.0L V8s, Vtec Hondas barely made 100 HP, and most turbocharged 4 cylinders made 150 HP or somewhere around there. It was the Quad 4 engine that propelled them to infamy.

Even the turbocharged Grand Ams made around 150 HP from a 2.0L SOHC 8 valve engine borrowed from Opel.

At the time, such a small engine making such big power was HUGE news.

And to make it even better, if you took off the ignition cover, the Quad 4 looked almost identical to Offenhauser Formula 1 engines from the 50's and 60's, which has led to them being a popular swap into old hot rods as an easier to service Offenhauser replacement while retaining the look of an Offenhauser engine. Pic related.

Hey can you get me a Calais

A Quad 4 Grand Am may be easier to find.
But here. This may help you a lot.
quad4forums.com/forums/

It's too late for me. My life sucks

local craigslist? I may find something

The redline is a shitbox offering the worst FF can offer.
Understeer, torque steer, traction issues

It's a heavy car, but also FF. It's wheelbase and weight and bad suspension leaves it not agile at all

youtu.be/kuEg2yOcCUQ

roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27989/the-2007-saturn-ion-is-one-of-the-worlds-best-forgotten-sleepers/

Read between the lines. It's bad.

oh look. someone whos never driven one.

This car's for sale, this is the worst pic of it.

"RUNS GREAT ZZP STAGE 3 SUPERCHARGED "

at least they tell you which company's stage 3. ZZP is infamous in the Cobalt community.
zzperformance.com/ecotec/stage-kits/zzp-stage-3-kit-1.html
Stage 3 is about 250 HP

t. benchracer

Yeah, but there's that weird thing with the hood and the matte black thing. I don't know if its OK. They want 3500 OBO

why get a redline over miata, ef/eg civic, integra, prelude even? makes no sense

That is CHEAP. If it's plastidip, you can peel that ship off with your hands the the paint will be perfectly preserved underneath.
Redlines are normally around 6-8k.

power, handling, easier to extract more power from.. the list goes on, before getting into how practical those suicide doors are

>cheap
>is also tuned
Is that not concerning?

I would be more worried had it not said ZZP. post the link to the ad.

>redline
>handling
it might as well be a gmc syclone. This car is just "LET'S PUT A SUPER ENGINE IN AN ECONOBOX LOL "
fuck off, it can't beat a tuned EF or ep3. get raped.

Last time I did that, a 4channer bought the car! Then beat me up!

see:
Keep sucking that honda dick though. Maybe you'll get AIDS, die, and we'll never have to deal with your stupidity again.

are those bullet holes

>implying a redline can beat a legendary DC2

>180-190 HP vs 205-250 HP
Hmmm.....

>b-but muh handling
Nurburgring motherfucker. Do you own an atlas?

>muh burgerking
Tsukuba
Touge.

so a go kart track and a mountain pass the Saturn would own anyways?

you think HP is all that matters?

You think an H badge is all that matters?

>has no argument
fucking defend your opinion

defend yours first. All I hear spouted were memes and opinions, not facts

what on earth do you want to know? better suspension set up, better chassis, more responsive engine. lighter.

you defend your claim, you're the one who is bringing up that the redline is better when it's widely accepted that the dc2 is one of the best FWD you can buy, fwd isnt even a factor with the car.

>better suspension set up,
Double wishbones aren't everything. For a time, the Cobalt SS held the fastest production FWD record at the nurburgring.

>better chassis
debatable. it's light sure, but it's not exactly a strong and rigid chassis. The Delta chassis used by the Cobalt and Ion is a much stronger chassis. Structural rigidity and integrity matter.

>more responsive engine
It revs faster, but it doesn't respond better.. The Ecotec engine has a MUCH more usable powerband and makea a LOT more of that force that actually turns the wheels. You know. Torque. And the Ecotec engines respond much better to modifications. You can't gain 30-40 HP on a Honda B-series with just an ECU tune. The Ecotec engine is, as a result, MUCH cheaper to modify period.

>lighter.
So it's better because the sheet metal is as thin as the kleenex I blew my nose with? lucky you. I bet you'll survive a crash just fine.

I never said the Redline was better. You implied it. They're both great cars but their strengths are in different areas.

>muh crash safety
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
give stats

redline in initial d
does it win?
no

Neither does a DC2. They all get beating by a 30 year old Toyota Corolla to forwards the story
>muh anime.

Let me explain to you the differences between the Integra Type R and the Ion Redline Cuz I've driven a Redline, and I've driven non-type R Integra's (try finding a Type R)

If I wanted to drive around a track fast and set a FWD track Record, I'd probably choose a modified Ion Redline.
If I wanted to have fun on a twisty mountain road not caring about laptimes or animes, I'd choose the Integra.

The Ion is fast but it also has electric power steering. There's virtually no steering feel whatsoever and it does ruin the driving experience a bit.

The Integra by comparison is more about "Muh feels" than anything. Yea, it was decently quick, and it handles amazingly for what it is but time has marched on and stronger cars do exist now. But it's still more fun than a lot of those newer stronger cars.