I have the tendency to switch between Catholicism and deism every few months

I have the tendency to switch between Catholicism and deism every few months

After spending the last 4 months as a deist my faith is starting to come back and soon I'll find myself attending mass every Sunday again.

This cycle is maddening, at this point I don't even care which side I land on, I just want to pick a side and stick with it

What to do?

Accept Jesus as your savior and repent
In other words, get saved

And then 4 months down the road I'll think about the humans who lived before Abrahamic monotheism and I'll be back at square one

It's always the same quote that makes me leave Christianity

>Let’s say that the consensus is that our species, being the higher primates, Homo Sapiens, has been on the planet for at least 100,000 years. In order to be a Christian, you have to believe that for 98,000 years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about 25 years, dying of their teeth. Famine, struggle, bitterness, war, suffering, misery, all of that for 98,000 years. Heaven watches this with complete indifference. And then 2000 years ago, God thinks 'That’s enough of that. It’s time to intervene,' and the best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the Middle East. Don’t let us appeal to the Chinese, for example, where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization. Let’s go to the desert and have another revelation there. This is nonsense. It can’t be believed by a thinking person."

powerlift and smoke dope instead who fucking cares

If you have true faith it will persevere

How is this a Veeky Forums question it's maddeningly fake

?

You've already had your faith ripped away by reason, now is the hard part of forcing your irrational brain to accept it. It will just take time and willpower. Your brain needs an explanation for everything and is scared without one (scared of the dark, we don't know what's in it) Don't go to church, don't read scripture, just let it end.

(Ex-pentacostol Christian of 16 years)

Your faith is lukewarm, and requires extra strength to preserve. Confession on a weekly basis and true reception of Eucharist will be key. I do not doubt that after not attending Mass you gone straight back to receiving Communion immediately. This is a sin and improper, and you need your sins absolved first.

Secondly, attend Mass multiple times per week, or alternatively volunteer to do Christian and charitable works with your time.

Finally, if Christ was were man, then why would Peter, Thomas, and all the other Apostles, who were so scared of Roman authority that they hid for days in an attic, then proceed to go forth and end up dying in strange and foreign lands often times crucified?

People die for causes all the time.

>t. /pol/ack DOOS FULT crusader who's never volunteered a day in his life

I know you are, but what am I?

Can I offer you some advice?

Be sure you are saved.

After you get saved, you will understand that God makes good decisions. The devil is whispering in your ear that God is not love, that God is not fair, that God is not just.

Stop listening to the father of lies. He lies. It's all he can do.

Oh, and this. The catholic church is for momma's boys determined to join a mother earth cult to feel comfy.

>Confession on a weekly basis and true reception of Eucharist will be key.

This is satanic.

What I did is I contemplated all logic for months.

I concluded that Christianity is bs.

I became atheist. I was now nolonger unhappy but felt empty about life.

Then I arrived at pantheism, where God is all and all is god. This system is beautiful since it isn't about faith. It's about appreciating what you have and what you can know with our limited knowledge as earthlings :)

if Jesus actually did rise from the dead, why would he rise up after 40 days (not to mention 40 specifically is rather suspicious since it is a magic number often used in the OT) instead of staying as a living proof of his defeat of death? if Jesus was 2000 years old and still walking around there's no way anyone could deny his resurrection. also, why did he rise up? that implies heaven is in the sky, yet according to christian theology God is outside of space and time. did jesus rise up just to vanish into another dimension when no one could see him? that seems rather pointless

Why not take His word for it?

He offered the Jews a trial time, 40 days, to repent and claim Him as their Messiah. They failed to do so.

So He ascended into heaven so that the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, could come to earth and begin His work.

Which would you rather have? A Jesus in Jerusalem you could speak to, or a Holy Spirit to resurrect you unto eternal life?

>Why not take His word for it?
I can't take his word for it, all I have is several documents, some of them known forgeries, some of them by anonymous authors and then having names later added them, that tell me he was resurrected. your appeal to faith is not only inherently illogical but also ignores that I have equal reason to take other religions on faith. Why should I not take Muhammad or Buddha at his word?

Just take the next logical step and discard Catholicism. Deism is much more respectable than any of the Christian denominations.

>Why not take His word for it?

Why not take Muhammed's word for his claim that he was the seal of the prophets?

why do you even feel the need to take a side?

>soon I'll find myself attending mass every Sunday again.

That's really fucking cringey.

I do the same thing.

Some of the Catholic apologetics are good but it just seems so problematic.

I can't palate the idea that good people who may not be religious or who weren't around for the church go to hell. There was no canonical bible for the first 400 years of the church. Papal infallibility wasn't even a thing until like 1076. It just seems wrong to tell someone that if they find fault they go to hell.

Sola Scriptura seems silly because again there was no actual bible for the first 400 years and if there can be faults in humans there can be faults in compiling the bible.

Idk man it constantly haunts me. I recently started a thread about this so if it helps just search catholic.

I have a hard to buying into a lot of what the catholic church says but I'm afraid that if they're right I'll be leading myself and others I love to hell.

Doeant help that like 9/10 Catholics on here are condemning autists that use religion to inflate their egos. They're almost the same as the dips bedora XD types.

Sure hope God is understanding.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Recognize that the question of God's involvement in the world is pointless.

Be a good person, if that's what gets your rocks off, and stop wasting time worrying and nail-biting. A god who created you for the purpose of worshiping it would just be a narcissistic prick trying to stroke its ego, and not really worth admiring.

There is no reason to think that God didn't reveal himself before (he did to Noah, for one).

It's also very probable that those with invincible ignorance (e.g. a pagan who never met a Christian) can go to Heaven - you can't go there only if you commit mortal sin and lack of belief in God can't be mortal if you don't do it intentionally, knowing that it's wrong - an invincibly ignorant pagan can't know that what he is doing is wrong (obviously, he can go to Hell by commiting other mortal sins against natural law, like murder or adultery).

If you don't mean "pagans going to Hell" thing, but earthly evil, that's called problem of evil and there are possible explanations, which you can easily find on the Internet, since it has been a big and much discussed problem in theology for a long time.

Why not just drop the bullshit and accept you are non-religious?

>lack of belief in God can't be mortal if you don't do it intentionally, knowing that it's wrong
who the hell lacks belief in God, knowing that it's wrong? those are two contradictory ideas that can't coexist. I fail to see how an pagan who stuck to their own gods on faith rather than accepting christianity on faith is more deservinf of hell than a pagan that hasn't heard of christianity. neither one recieved a convincing argument of why they should believe in christianity and niether one worships the false gods to spite christianity's God