Newfig. Hi guys, 19 here. How long did it take you to make driving a manual like breathing. Any tips?

Newfig. Hi guys, 19 here. How long did it take you to make driving a manual like breathing. Any tips?

My dad is an ass and only taught for 3 hours yesterday

couple hours

thank your dad and go out and practice

stop being a bitch

You should be thanking your dad for letting you be able to learn to drive stick. Shit takes awhile to become muscle memory.

just go practice retard.
you dont need to be "taught".

>dont get taught
>fails 200x on getting my license

yeah well my friend also taught me a couple of hours with his elentra, my dads car seemed different because it needed to be fed gas after you shift from neutral to 1st or the engine is kill.

Why are you making it out to be difficult to drive a manual car? You litterally just depress the clutch and put it into gear when you hit the right revs/speed. How fucking hard do you think that is?

>why are you making it out to be difficult
no one in this thread made it out to be difficult you fucking boy racer.

I dont understand how that makes me a boy racer friendo.

clutch needs to be adjusted.

been driving a manual for about a week here

Basically first 3 days i was stalling on most stoplights and now i only stall on big shitty speed bumps or on steep hill starts

Also still have to work on pulling out the clutch cause most of the time when getting out of first or shifting gears the car shakes

because you think you're some savant because you can drive a manual car. when the reality is it takes at least a day for someone to get the hang of it. even karting champions and people who have ridden motorcycles since they were single digits aren't good at it right away. like anything it takes practice, at least a few hours to become comfortable with it, longer for someone who has no experience with a clutch at all.

>found the nocar

i started driving manual when i was 13, no instructions given, took me about 20 mins to figure out the clutch and then probably another 10 to remember to clutch in when stopping

youll be fine, dont worry if you stall your car but try to focus on not burning out the clutch

I was driving home from work and saw a 2016 wrx on the road. It had paper taped on the back window. I thought it was a temp paper plate at first but they have an actual plate so that wasn't it.

Looking closer it was a hand made sign that said simply:

"LEARNING MANUAL"

Guy was maybe mid 20s. Do that and fucking go learn.

Guy drove fine, pulled away from stops really slowly, overly cautious about stalling, but I didn't smell clutch at all so good on him.

Be thankful that he gave you 3 hours, faggot, he probably has man things and father things to be doing. back in his day, kids taught themselves this shit, and they didnt have the entire internet to teach them either. go thank him, and then go practice and stop being a little bitch

>They drive a manual

>And then they said they cant afford an automatic

i have both

Just keep at it.

I had to learn how to drive a manual before I could get my license because my parents only had manuals. I bought my first car and Ive had automatics ever since.

Just bought a manual 4 cylinder recently to get back into it.

Its not that bad OP. Just relax, learn to listen to the engine. You can feel/hear when its time to shift. Its just slightly different when doing it on a hill is all.
RPMs are also a good indicator but its too much of a distraction to bother looking at the tachometer everytime.

>he drives autotragic

wut? can you explain further?

How do you do it when you're in a traffic up the hill?

I have been driving manual for years and just recently started rev matching.
Is there anything else I should learn in order to really master manual? Unfortunately it's impossible to heel & toe in my car.

heel and toe is a meme

>has never been to the dragstrip in a manual car.

About as long as it took you to stop manually breathing.

Bonus: You're manually blinking now

>he doesnt have 3 legs

It probably took me a couple of months of driving manual for me to get to the point of not having to think about it. I specifically did a lot of practice on hills. Little things like using your e-break for hills can help out a lot.

>and then he said it was fast

Well you can maneuver 3 pedals at once
Or hold the hand brake so you don't slide back

which is better?
I usually just use the hand brake

Can't speak for the hand brake types, though that sounds like something that could work okay. The way I was taught was basically working the clutch so that it's almost in gear, then switch from break to gas and let the rest of the way off the clutch. Not as complicated as it sounds when you get used to it, and I've been driving clutch for 20 years.

On an unrelated note, I royally fucked up the clutch in my first car because I was holding the clutch down the entire time I was stopped. I'm sure the rest of you are not doing the retarded shit 16 year old me did, but I bring it up on the off chance that someone else might.

Sounds to me like you haven't.

I learned on a motorcycle which is a little different, but it took me a couple of days of consistent practice before I stopped having to think about it at all. It took me probably 2000 miles until it became muscle memory.

Just don't try to get fancy. Find a place with lots of stop signs to practice. Take your time and it'll come.