The Italian Risorgimento stands to be one of the most fascinating and historically stimulating period in all of...

The Italian Risorgimento stands to be one of the most fascinating and historically stimulating period in all of European history.

From Northern political intrigue, to a mere 1000 men toppling a 700 year old kingdom to the rise of the liberal and industrious Italian bourgeoisie, the Risorgimento is one of the greatest examples of a successful experiment in nationalism and liberal governance.

I am not saying it was without it's problems, (and truly there were differing levels of success depending where you were on the peninsula) but the unification was such a terribly daunting task which was achieved in a relatively short amount of time.

Early modern Italian history and society thread!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Garibaldi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Garibaldi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragamuffin_War
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hey guys what's going on in here?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Garibaldi

would you sniff cavour fat ass cheeks y/n

Mrs. Garibaldi was a bad-ass too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Garibaldi

1st Italian War of Independence
>Lose miserably against the Austrians of all people...
2nd Italian war of Independence
>Ride Nappy's dick and sell him Savoy and Nice because you can't fight worth shit
3rd Italian war of Independence
>Declare war on Austria while they're too busy with Prussia, then act like you did it all by yourself

Italy's pretty cool, though they're a bit shit at unified warfare

Finally an actually interesting thread
...aaand it's shit
Jokes aside, what's your opinion on Mazzini and his contributions to the Risorgimento, however positive or/and negative?

I think it's hilarious how the Italians just roll with it and end up on top after each defeat.

We're not a "fighting" people, we're a diplomacy people. Everyone will tell you that the italian army, troughout ww2, treated his POW (e.g. british in egypt) relatively good, behaved nicely in occupied territory (e.g. greece), and made for the most pleasant POW (british war camp in egypt again)

his ideas were highly radical but they're also instrumental for any study on 19th century Nationalism. Ideas like unification, Europeanism and class collaboration really set him apart from his contemporaries like Marx. But I think his ideas on national spirituality or religion were a bit daft.

>unified warfare
Dude, Italy's army was basically the cream of piedmontese nepotism leading a bunch of suspected commies and anarchists to the massacre. A bit unfair to call it "unified" warfare. Hell even nowadays the italian army is basically northern officers and southern enlisted.

it was mostly the Piedmontese fighting those wars, mate.

>what's your opinion on Mazzini and his contributions to the Risorgimento, however positive or/and negative?
His pointless pushing for a centralized nation was as cancerous as ideology could possibly get. If the risorgimento had been led by the ideas of Ricasoli, Cattaneo, or even Gioberti, modern Italy would have been much better off.

Based Giuseppe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragamuffin_War

Based Cattaneo and his federation
If only...

I've been reading Il Gattopardo recently and the transition that the Bourbon Prince goes through when the Italian state takes over Sicily is a remarkably interesting topic.

How Prince Fabrizio sees his world decay around him is presented so well. I'd suggest the film to anyway, too.

how did this fat fucking neckbeard managed to unify a country

Neckbeards are generally pretty good at map painting in EUIV. I'm guessing he just applied those skills to real life.

Normies can achieve fuck all desu
It takes the power of autism to do something like this

I still don't get why Italians went with a centralized state similar to France instead of forming a federation like Germany.

Ouiaboos
And Germans also includes Austrians

The Piedmontese severely underestimated how easy it was to govern the South. They also thought they were ordained by God to rule Italy and this arrogance blinded them.

The best period for Southern Italy was being ruled by Spain.

>Early modern Italian history and society thread!
I don't think you know what early modern means

>the best period for Southern Italy

The current Republic has been the only time anything has been done for the South.

Because Italy was unified through conquest, and the piedmonteses wanted to stay on top after unification rather than share the power. So a centralized state with the power in the hands of the piedmontese aristocracy was the best option for them.

Arguably fascism too. At the very least they tried to develop all the peninsula rather than just strictly the north west.

Mussolini did do a lot to cripple the Mafia and crime syndicates in southern Italy. It caused a exodus of crime families to America who would later help the allies during the invasion of Sicily.

>Lose miserably against the Austrians of all people

An Italian province loses to an empire.

>Ride Nappy's dick and sell him Savoy and Nice because you can't fight worth shit

Treacherous frog makes their own treaty behind the Italians back that doesn't give them what they want.

>Declare war on Austria while they're too busy with Prussia, then act like you did it all by yourself

Wars are won through political intrigue, the battling is just for show.

>They also thought they were ordained by God to rule Italy and this arrogance blinded them.
Wut? The leaders were a bunch of filthy heathens.

Well Garibaldi did a lot of it. He owed allegiance to the king of one region of Italy, and conquered large swathes of the peninsula for him. Once he did that it was probably easier for Cavour to convince/coerce other regions to join as well.

was there any element of irredentism to the leaders of the reunification?

did they care about including italians in switzerland, corfu, corsica, etc. to their new state?

He was a fat kissless virgin neckbeard that threatened to kill himself every time things didn't go the way he wanted, how could he NOT unify a country?

Garibaldi wasn't even a nationalist to begin with, let alone an Irredentist
Cavour died too early to witness the birth of Irredentism, but he would have probably have exploited it to gain new land or leverage in stronger positions with Italy's allies and rivals, but he wouldn't have angered the Brits by sponsoring it in Malta and Corfu.
The King was probably ok with it as long as it allowed him to go on more wars and fuck hot girls

Garibaldi never forgave Cavour for giving his hometown Nice to France.

leave the monarchists to me

this. Italy's political elite was so damn liberal before Fascism. A literal Anglican Jew became prime minister at the beginning of the 20th century

Sonnino was a die hard reactionary monarchist though