/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Roguenex.us is down due to a security leak until further notice.

>rlgrobin: Shared DCSS online account.
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/SgMJ7Xwh

Previous

I dont understand this pic

#GrWinsMatter

Wait why are shields useless in lair?

That's not technically right since I never wore it on the first place. I still need 5 levels for no penalties

Gargs cannot cast statue form, and one particularly butthurt user was trying to force the bloatform meme because of his irrational hatered towards that spell.
It is also very likely that he was also trying to force that chei pasta.

yo mom can't cast statue form because she so fat the booty won't meld

Shields are really only effective against ranged attacks. All these hydras and yaks aren't going to be significantly weaker just because you can put on a big boy shield instead of a buckler.

It's sort of legitimate for an octopode berserker to want a +0 shield, but you won't actually need it until late dungeon or lair branches. Even in the orcish mines they don't use ranged attacks enough for it to matter.

Around the 40's where everything has mana bolts, mana storm and summons summoners summoning summoners summoning summoners. you're also wasting like 6 hours instead of just tele/frost bolting swamp hydras, then the young dragons in the mountains then cherry picking in arena/dragon's lair to skip like 60% of the game.

Reminder to use rlgrobin accounts if you wanna show other anons how to play and to know when an user from here is playing!
User: rlgrobin
Pass: ownfault
EXCEPT for xtahua, the pass there is robin!

When it comes to roguelikes how baby mode is Angband?

Do you like doing the same thing over and over, but DCSS is too short for you? If that's the case, check out Angband.

It's like Diablo 2.

this is pretty accurate

Angband is good if you ironman it.

>disconnected stairs
>no returning to town
>down stairs only

Rogue is better

>dynahack
at last, I learned to appreciate and love ascii and *hack

How do the danger levels / dungeon levels work in PCB?

As in, what "danger level" will e.g. L10 of the Stronghold be? Is there a general rule of thumb for the max depth a character of a specific level should go?

I'm very new to the game, but I've played vanilla Angband and Sil.

>disconnected stairs
>down stairs only

but why both

TROG
TROG
TROG
TROG

This would be even nicer if I could actually see the gateway without getting killed by the raiju first desu

ITs below him

>implying I can't tab raijus as well

Gotten inspired by the user making that 'angry ogre noises' pic
Was thinking of bloat instead of stone but meh
Im bored

Which God is more Paladinish Zin or TSO ? I need god for my memepaladin.

JUST

Yeah it was

That was the most stupid thing I've ever done in Crawl

>Fighting by a troll that's a little early, figure i'll get some help from nem
>Draw exile
>Abyssed at XL:11
>Rapidly burn through consumables and die
Fucking kill yourself devs

Read the section on it in the help files. Combination of strength of the monsters and loot on the floor/approximately the level of monsters that will be found there with some variation. This is why a floor with the +3 feeling generally has an exceptional item, a unique, or a bunch of OOD monsters kicking around. Feeling drops down as you kill the dudes and interact with the loot and rise when more dangerous monsters spawn

Your level equivalent to the dungeon floor then increasing as you get deeper. You'll know cause you're pushing the floor over.

TSO is more tabdude holy warrior, Zin is more of a priestly paladin laying down phat verses on heretical filth. HOGl of Zin and go into orc with Invocs at 27 for a good time.

>Not immediately teleporting

AFAIK the exile card only abysses you if no monsters are in LOS? or maybe that's just when it's from a legendary deck

Nop, it can abyss anyone, including yourself, no matter what

I was holding down arrow and drinking applejuice

sometimes ambushes get the first move

i lost a character to something like that but with fearlords at 555

It was a plain escape deck with 11 invo adjacent to a troll. The devs have been really fucking with nem and decks. It says something when you can only get decks from nem, they now use invo, and the evo skill icon is a fucking spade.

>drawing from non-legendary escape
>ever

you'd be better off just using summoning to run away tbqh familia

He's gone from god of yu-gi-oh, to god of russian roulette, to god of shitty-controlled-Xom

Don't hold shit down, shift move or use the travel commands. PCB is a lesson in OTKO's. You can't be fucking around.

Muh speed.

I don't even know what's going on anymore. I blasted a cyclops for 3/4 of its health with a plain deck of dest. I killed a troll with tomahawks with 1.7 skill. It's insanity.

>It's insanity.
Whenever you do anything in Crawl, it computes a number in a really complicated way and then rolls 1dX.

>the evo skill icon is a fucking spade

now that's just mean

Dicks a best.

As a ghoul monk of oka, should I ever bother to look into any ranged weapons or magic, or just melee only unarmed for notlife?

Also Oka please stop gifting me throwing weapons. The skill is only 1.4 because I forgot to change auto to manual at the start.

>-Tele
fault

I don't have any scrolls or wands of tele to teleport with anyway.

>Needing teleport
Own fault.

>having more than one way to kill enemies
Nah you should just throw that +10 arbalest into the lava.

i think ammo gifts have a separate timer

That's actually not such a bad idea with crossbows

what are the best ranged weapons in crawl that aren't super rare shit like triple xbows?

+9 branded longbows were basically ranged deathrays in older versions of DCSS.

They probably still are.

I mean, if you want to go ranged you can just get bows

With crossbows you have 3 choices of weapon: super shit, shit and good but very rare, and you need a similar amount of xp to get "shit" to mindelay than you would for a longbow assuming neutral apts (and far more if you get "good"). Longbows are far more common, as is their ammo

remember when you could enchant stacks of arrows and bless them with holy wrath?

then fire them from a +9 speed bow?

damn. seems kinda counter-intuitive, I never used ranged in dcss outside of throwing much, but I imagined crossbows were stronger than bows but slower or just needed more exp or something. so basically bows are the way to go if you want to actually kill things at a distance and not just soften them up while you get into melee range?

They are.

Arbalest is a ranged great mace and you'll get some to wash up. you'll get a tbow from Oka/Trog or one of your 6ish acq's

Eh, they're not. It's like demon swords. They work but you need slaying or a way to get a lot of hits in. Not bad by any means, especially if you have a good apt but it's eh.

Remember when you enchanted a thousand arrows to +9?

Crossbows can be viable if you do extended and can dump the XP into getting a triple xbow to mindelay, otherwise they're iffy and usually people don't recommend them

Why are enchanting scrolls wasted if you don't use them? I think it would be better if it was like ID scrolls and you could simply choose not to use them, people almost always read-ID scrolls anyways so there's not much point in punishing them for doing so except adding a mild inconvenience to the early game

>get a permanent +1 to your weapon
>this is considered a punishment somehow

If you'll read ID pay the toll. If you're so shit you fatfinger incessantly then update your rc file to automatically slap !r!r on them.

but amnesia, enchant, blink, and id are all wasted if you read them without knowing what they are. i'm fairly certain you can cancel enchant scrolls after reading them if you've identified them

More that sometimes it's one of the first scrolls you get and you end up getting +1 to a useless weapon you'll discard next dungeon level
Who DOESN'T read ID everything early on? I have literally never seen someone say ID is best used on early scrolls

>?id
>wasted
que?

>?amnesia
>wasted
que?

Then suck it up. You're identifying it by using the power of the scroll. You don't get to shove it back in, things don't work like that.

You technically can cancel them but the scroll is destroyed. ID you can cancel free of consequence. Blink is actually valuable and doesn't show up that early very often so it makes sense that you'd be punished for read-IDing it. I feel the same way about amnesia

Read-IDing scrolls is still optimal behavior. The fact that there are downsides to it should not trigger your autism this much, because that's how pretty much everything everywhere is.

Yes, he agrees with you

>Read-IDing scrolls is still optimal behavior.
Circumstantially.

i'm not complaining, the guy was complaining about enchant armor/weapon scrolls being destroyed upon cancellation but i'm just saying they function like every other scroll and aren't a special case.
yeah, the guy who posted it claimed you could cancel ?identify without wasting the scroll even if it's un-ID'd which isn't the case

meant to reply to

>Play Nethack
>I see a living mold and kill it
>I eat the mold
>Orc comes in the room
>I kill the orc
>I hear an audience applaud
>Orc corpse turns into troll then a turtle and also a lamp
>I seem to be hallucinating
>Orc was actually my little dog
>Decide not to waste the little animal and eat it
>Die of sickness because meat was tainted.

Biggest tragedy of my life.

Funfact, if your dog/horse wont it, you probably shouldn't.

The ogres face was my inspiration for drawing that gr's face like that so you got it most of the way right.

Would it it it?

Well that's not the nicest thing to say.

eat

Does every playable race in DCSS have at least one correspondent unique?

#rekt

holy shit the famous basil from sc2g???

Man, you know what's fucking dumb?

Gargoyles!

Is there an actual explanation why gargoyles have to eat

i can't think of any vine stalkers uniques

>chei pasta.
What cheipasta? "Take it easy?"

Probably not one that would satisfy any degree of autism, no.

no ant, no vinestalker, no gargoyle, no high elf, no ghoul

Is there ever a reason to use slings incrawl?

They add 5 base damage to your stones for 0.1 delay unskilled.
Also halflings can get to mindelay with them for approximately 1 yak of XP.

>tfw you realize that the mace started as a hammer, then the artist changed it because hammers don't exist
would you draw a slutty mummy pls

THEY HAVE SILLY FACES
Why would you want to play a Gargoyle ever?

It was meant to be a cool geometrical mace.

>artifact mace
that's a pretty terrible base desu
at least shortblade artifacts have a tiny max-delay for unskilled users and good stabbing for skilled users

Autism.

I don't think Gargoyles have faces. They're like the statues ingame: features worn away by time. They might have something like hooves, going by the differently shaped feet some of them have.
rude

Early on they're pretty decent for anyone since the ranged combat rework lets you do a little damage with stones and bullets you pickup even unskilled.
Halflings have a great apt for them so it's free fuck you juice. Do your HaHu of Oka runs some time and you'll never look back.
You're bad at magic and are using a shield so you can't just use an arbalest/longbow. While not exceptional, it's free damage and ranged targets are soft anyway. Oka/Trog will give more steel bullets and chei will increase your damage

why do they wear pants

>Fire up a HaHu
>Oka altar on D:2
Inb4 Spi:5 QB of distortion PTSD again

+6 hunting sling on d:2

Scimitar of freezing from a d:5 wight

>+3 of greatsling on d:9 from Oka
>tfw all that shit slowed by cold in lair

I threw it into the lava, so Oka decided to gift me a +5 triple xbow of flaming.

Does this go into the lava too?

Save that one, how far have you advanced?

you can only cancel using scrolls after they're already identified. the one you read-id is always gonna be consumed no matter what

well there's some basil somewhere because he replaced rlgrobin's rcfile on CAO with his own

Wow whoever was in the robin a few moments ago really fucked shit up, baka senpai