How does Veeky Forums feel about electric cars? Would you buy one if you had the money...

How does Veeky Forums feel about electric cars? Would you buy one if you had the money? Do you believe electric cars are the future?

I wanted to hear some opinions on this topic from the petrolhead community.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ib-02b2ooLY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No cause they are slow and shit

good
>full torque at 0 rpm
>low center of gravity
>cheap fuel
bad
>no shifting
>no exhaust note

>this message was brought to you by Exxon.

took a lotus and made it worse

>How does Veeky Forums feel about electric cars?
they're heavy and sound like shit

>Would you buy one if you had the money
I have the money and no, the price doesnt outweigh the savings.
expensive to repair, battery tech is shit, batteries pollute, infrastructure is non-existent.

>do you believe electric cars are the future
for city driving and commuting probably

>do you believe electric cars impact global warming
I think you would struggle to find even a marginal impact on the environment

>no shifting
>no exhaust note
So, no >muh feels?
That's actually a good thing. Electric motors are more efficient because less of the energy is converted to sound.

>What a nice day to drive around
>Whats this? My car ran out of charge
>If only I could just get some gas at the gas station, instead I must now call a tow truck

reality, kid.

>muh feels
did you stumble onto the wrong board? this is an enthusiast board. not r/science.
if you were expecting not got answers having to do with feel you're a moron.

>Electric motors are more efficient because less of the energy is converted to sound.
lmao

>it would be nice if there were these "ports" where electricity come out of
>implying you wouldn't call a tow truck if you ran out of gas.

>this is an enthusiast board
Ehh, I get that. But, I'm enthusiastic about electric driven cars. I was just arguing that a quiet motor is beneficial.

>Let me go to the nearest hardware store and buy a mile long of extensions so i can charge my car instead of simply putting a gallon of gas into it

Motor Trend disagrees...

youtube.com/watch?v=ib-02b2ooLY

I have a deposit on a Model 3.

Original guy you replied to here,
The silence is good for luxury applications as well.
However, exhaust note is one of the top criteria I look for in a sports car

Do I need to remind you what year it is granpa?

>I'm enthusiastic about electric driven cars
They've been on the market for only a handful of years.
That's like saying you're enthusiastic about solid state hard drives versus networking. It's an appliance.

If you like saving money on gas and don't ever leave the city they are fine, but otherwise they have a LONG way to go to rival gas cars on overall performance, cost, and usability.

Being a car enthusiast and an electric car enthusiast are completely different.

Like it or not they are the future. I'm going to miss naturally aspirated engines and the manual transmission when they're gone, that's definitely going to happen in my lifetime.

>muh 0-60
fuck off normie

I like the thought of them but I think it's going to make cars boring, the sound and variety of different engines is a huge part of what makes cars cool, once it goes to electric I guess the main point will be styling

>They've been on the market for only a handful of years
Ok, cool. But a Scottish inventor created an electric car long before the gasoline engine.
so....
> this message was brought to you by Exxon

mad your 4cyl shitbox sounds like a lawnmower?

>4c
>super car
lmao

>it would embarrass a 30 year old car

jesus could motortrend get any fucking worse.

There will still be performance enthusiasts but it will all geek out quickly. People will be talking about kilowatts and maximum amps and supercapacitors and battery chemistry.

>there are no such things as outdoor electrical sockets

Are you being intentionally obtuse as le epic troll or are you just that way naturally?

EVs have instant torque as soon as you touch the ga-er..."accelerator", so of course they'll have a decent 0-60 time. But once the petrol car gets up to speed bye bye EV. Notice how all the tests with EVs are drag competitions...

Well, good luck in your endeavors for lossy energy transmission.

as opposed to kilowatts, cfm, and compression ratios?

Are you mad its not 1950 anymore?

>Assuming your car will shut down right next to one
>Thinks its impossible for the nearest one to be a few miles away

I think that if we make charging times faster and have more charging stations it could work in the future. We have to work on better batteries as well but there is potential.

No they haven't. Electric cars once competed with gas when cars were still emerging as a mainstream method of transportation.

Funnily enough they had the same pluses and minuses then as now and ultimately lost to ice powered cars for the same reasons they're struggling today.

>ad hom

that way naturally

I'm a fan of electric cars but I hate you faggots who are all like:

"lol WELCOME TO THE FUUUTTTUUURRRE old man! lel liking engine sound? what an idiot!!!"

Yes, people like the sound of engines to this day. Many do. Even I do, and I like electric cars as well. Just shut the fuck up.

>Assuming your car will shut down right next to one
I'm guessing your gas engine will run out at a gas station?
>Thinks its impossible for the nearest one to be a few miles away
Electrical sockets are everywhere. The logistics of building a recharge station is simple. All it takes is an electrical socket.

How much do each cost?

Personally I think some are interesting but they're more of a stop gap than anything right now.

At least imo hydrogen is the future. It's the only fuel source that seems capable of directly imitating ice driven cars.

And given that the modern world is largely built around gas/diesel cars that's hydrogens big advantage.

Electric is interesting and has some neat potential but batteries still just aren't quite there yet to truly replicate the range and easy fueling of ice cars.

Not to mention at least in the US the power grid is in such disrepair that adding millions of cars and their constant need for power would likely be disastrous.

0/10 you're dumb as fuck

Wait, really? I knew EVs have been out before gas but they've already been beaten once before?

>Not to mention at least in the US the power grid is in such disrepair that adding millions of cars and their constant need for power would likely be disastrous
[Citation Needed], Exxon.

I'm the dumbass, but you couldn't refute my points without ad hominem.

i dont know about you guys but seeing that fucking model s in different colors day to day it just gets sexier.

in ludicrous mode (which is just a rip off) it just seems like sex.

but not hearing the engine is a trip and i drive a Prius for work pretty often

>Run out of charge
>Nearest power source is a gas station one mile away
>Must walk to gas station and but a mile worth of extension cables as opposed to buying a gallon of gas

You fail to realize I can walk to a gas station, you need to walk to a hardware store and buy extension cables

>user you can't satisfy me I think I'm gonna start cucking you
>why bby?
>you're dick's just too small lol
>that's an ad hom, it doesn't count

this is literally you, faggot

>what is a battery
seriously, if you are going to compare things, compare EQUAL things

how long does it take to charge this battery using a 6 mile extension cord?

The scenario could not be more equal
>two cars run out of energy 2 miles from the nearest energy source
>one you can walk to, obtain a $5 solution to the problem, and walk back
>the other you can not

How long does it take to fill this gas tank with a 6 mile long hose?

>implying AAA won't have portable chargepacks in the near future
>walking

are you retarded? have you not heard of jerry cans?

Wrong. A battery is a tank of electronic energy. A gas can is a tank of gas. A cable is a medium to transfer electronic energy. A hose is a medium to transfer gas.
Battery = gas can
Cable = hose
That's a the proper method of comparing things.

see

Maybe in eurofagland they already talk in kilowatts but not in Murica.

But eventually we'll go gay too when electric cars take over and we'll all talk metric.

>thread devolves into an argument about an unlikely and pointless scenario, semantics, or bench racing by know-nothings while sensible and knowledgeable posts are completely ignored.

welcome to Veeky Forums

>please take my hypothetical universe where jerry cans don't exist seriously :(

"No"

>battery=gas can
Do you think electric cars run off little 12v car batteries? When you can carry a Tesla battery 2 miles on your back your retarded argument will have some substance.

I really hope you idiots are just trolling. With a gas car you can walk to the gas station and buy some gas and walk back to the car. With an electric car you have to buy extension cables and plug it into he gas station and sit and wait or the car to charge

>Muh AAA
Enjoy waiting 2 hours for AAA

I swear you sound like cry baby liberals who put their fingers in their ears and shout "YOU ARE WRONG IM RIGHT LALALA"

I think they're really a gimmick for now. But what I dislike about them is that they're made for people that aren't into cars. They don't want a car, they want a commodity. They want a car that can get them from A to B and nothing else.

That's pretty much all that irks me about them. They really don't have any personality. The only thing they have going for them is the 0-60. But then, if the cars are sold for people that aren't into car culture anyways, why even use it as a selling point?

They're just boring, to be honest. You don't have to go and take care of them. You can't spend time with them, getting aftermarket parts, installing them, knowing about them, fixing them yourself. You can't go to another person that owns the car you do and talk about the car, because he already knows everything about it. And you can't say what you changed on it because, again, no mods.

They're coming with autopilot now, too. So the person driving doesn't even have to pay attention. They're just sitting there going along for the ride, posting on Facebook and texting. There's no connection between the driver and the car. The car's just, there.

It's just a trendy "IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR, COME ON", "LOOK AT ME GUISE I'M PART OF THE HOT BE THING, ACCEPT ME" fad. Everyone wants to save the planet, everyone wants to be part of the hot new thing. It's really soulless. The only time you'll ever spend time with the car is when you're driving it. You get home, plug it in, and forget you even had it.

mad status: everyone

Doesn't the current GTR do 0-60 in 2. something seconds?
Also
>GTR
>Drag race
It's fast on launches and handles well, but doesn't have a strong top end.

This comparison is like using Hellcat track times vs. a GTR.

Did I ignore jerry (gas) cans? No, I compared it to a battery in that it can store the necessary energy to bring back to the abandoned car
>When you can carry a honda civic gas tank 2 miles on your back your retarded argument will have some substance.
I didn't say anything about AAA, although a large pack of AAA batteries could charge an electric car battery just enough to get to the next station.
>all this Exxon shilling

I love that you think you're so smart for knowing some trivia that literally everyone on this board knows while completely missing the point of the discussion. Lmao.

Your trivia might impress your mommy who thinks you're a real car guy, but it doesn't work here.

Hellcats not electric

Hate it because cannot brappppppp

>When you can carry a honda civic gas tank 2 miles on your back
I can carry the auxiliary tank easily, pic related

>a large pack of AAA batteries could charge an electric car battery just enough to get to the next station
Oh yeah, is the two truck driver going to wire up a bunch of 12v DC batteries in series with the 15 sets of jumper cables he has for some reason and plug them into an AC charge port? Why would you say something like that when you don't even know how electric cars work, did you think everyone here is as clueless as you?

I made this for you retards

>I didn't say anything about AAA, although a large pack of AAA batteries could charge an electric car battery just enough to get to the next station.

Are you fucking retarded? I mean, genuinely, are you retarded?

>Oh yeah, is the two truck driver going to wire up a bunch of 12v DC batteries in series with the 15 sets of jumper cables he has for some reason and plug them into an AC charge port? Why would you say something like that when you don't even know how electric cars work, did you think everyone here is as clueless as you?
That was supposed to be a smartass remark. If you knew about electronics, you'd know you can carry a specially designed batpack ( a little on the heavy side), or for the same weight as a gas can, a super capacitor.
>inb4 caps are dangerous
They're not dangerous if there is no energy in the cap.

once again, see: Also, I'm going to point you to the sticky on namely the false equivalence logical fallacy.
Jerry (gas) can != cable

>Are you fucking retarded
>ad hominem, once again.

You're being purposefully dense and it's rather surprising. Carrying a mobile version something similar to the Tesla Powerwall is completely viable and would easily provide enough power to get one to a local charging station or electricity source.

Trips gon trip.

> If you knew about electronics, you'd know you can carry a specially designed batpack ( a little on the heavy side), or for the same weight as a gas can, a super capacitor.
Since you know all about these things, why don't you explain the procedure of plugging in a "specially designed batpack" to an electric car battery, step by step. We are laymen and you are an expert, so make sure to tell us where to access the battery and what terminals to connect to.

they are heavy and have low top speeds
drop the batteries and get some supercapacitors and you could make a rocketship of a drag car though.

Designing a circuit board for correct power output and connectors for the most common sockets on electric cars is trivially easy to do. You do use modern battery powered electronics on a regular basis...right? You still haven't seen a portable battery charger? Scaled up and in the back of a pickup truck it would work wonderfully.

While it would obviously take people with EE degrees and more demand for the service, it's fairly obvious that it will be happening in the near future.

>here's my theoretical future solution to a currently existing problem
ok

>the most common sockets on electric cars
You do know the difference between AC and DC ... right?
>in the back of a pickup truck
Great alternative to a 2 gallon gas can.

see

transformer->full-wave rectifier->voltage-smoothing capacitors.
But, that's beyond the point. I'm just saying a gas can= a (portable) batpack because those are ways to transfer energy to move respective vehicles.

>hydrogen is the future

Hydrogen is hopeless. It's always been and always will be massively energy wasting to create, compress, pump, and store hydrogen. And fuel cells are just 10 years off, just like they will always be.

These days stuck in bumper to bumper traffic jams though - who really wants to drive when you can let a computer take care of autoshuffling the car forward at 1m/s, er, 2.2mph. Why not sit and shitpost in the middle a traffic jam? Don't tell me you wouldn't ever do it, if the price was right.

The passion and the soulessness of driving went out the window decades ago, if you live in a big city.

So how do you plan on carrying a 1200 pound battery? Or did you think they ran on AA batteries?

That is one of the weaknesses of electrics - they take so friggin' long to charge. Even Tesla's high-amp charging superstations, it takes 30min or so to refill?

So how do you plan on carrying a 300 lb gas tank? Or did you think they ran on vials of gas?

to be fair, you don't carry a 15 gallon gas can, so he'd "only" have to drag his spare 400 pound battery bank to equal the 5 gallon gas can.

No, that's the weakness of batteries. A cap can charge/discharge rather quickly.

>what is a capacitor

In the future, say 30 years from now, having old-school manually driven, internal combustion cars will be something only a niche market wants and needs. They'll have special clubs and race tracks that they pay dues to in order to have their thrills fulfilled. Everyone else, say 99.98 percent of the populace will be content allowing the computers to drive their electric vehicles.

the weakness of caps is capacity though. if you want to go fast, load up capacitors. want range? swap for battery bank. I still think the hotswap battery "gas station" concept is more valid than this high current charging bullshit

So 400 pound bateery vs one gallon of gas
top kek!

I dont need to carry a 300 pound gas tank, you see they have these containers that weigh almost nothing and you can put a gallon of gas into them dumbass. Even if you had to carry a normal car battery, that shit is real fucking heavy to carry for 2 miles but thats not even the case retard

I suppose you could think of a supercap bank as a gas can of sorts. Even without it, it's not an insurmountable problem if you run out of juice. You walk to the nearest gas station, call for a tow truck and just wait for him to pick you up and then pick your car up.

Everything's possible, it's just a question of money and/or time.

see

I also don't need to carry a 400 lb battery. You see, graphene super condensators are energy dense.

>fucking idiot nerds

how much charge do you think a cap that weighs as much as a full 5 gallon gas (or 1 gallon if you have a small trunk) can, can hold?
I like the concept of a lot of stuff made of carbon nanotubes/graphene but I have yet to see a consumer product that uses them. your argument is only valid when the tech matures.

My god, what is with these ad homs?

Of course I know the difference between AC and DC...what's your point?

>when the tech matures.
The tech is mature. The market demand is not.