Be highlander

>be highlander
>be marginalized catholic, speak gaelic
>fight for deposed king and his dynasty's restoration, hoping for religious tolerance
>lose, have many of your family and friends killed, and in the aftermath, your language, culture and way of life all but wiped out
is there a greater tragedy, Veeky Forums?
post other stuff in history that makes you real sad

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QSe3lE0xkOU
youtube.com/watch?v=VQ1PdFN2Kmc
youtube.com/watch?v=ou-FHCREhDg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Enlightenment
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I was only 15 years old
>I loved Prince Charlie so much, I had all the banners and paintings
>I pray to Charlie every night before bed, thanking him for the life I've been given
>"Prince Charlie is love" I say; "Prince Charlie is life"
>My dad hears me and calls me a traitor
>I know he was just jealous of my devotion for Prince Charlie
>I called him a redcoat
>He slaps me and sends me to go to sleep
>I'm crying now, and my face hurts
>I lay in bed and it's really cold
>Suddenly, a warmth is moving towards me
>It's Prince Charlie
>I am so happy
He whispers into my ear "This is my Kingdom."
>He grabs me with his powerful Stuart hands and puts me down onto my hands and knees
>I'm ready
>I spread my ass-cheeks for Prince Charlie
>He penetrates my butt-hole
>It hurts so much but I do it for Prince Charlie
>I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water
>I push against his force
>I want to please Prince Charlie
>He roars in a mighty roar as he fills my butt with his love
>My dad walks in
>Prince Charlie looks him straight in the eyes and says "Tandem Triumphans."
>Prince Charlie leaves through my window
>Prince Charlie is love. Prince Charlie is life.

youtu.be/QSe3lE0xkOU

Plenty of cultures have been completly destroyed. It's sad, but it's part of being a culture. You die.

Pic related

>tha trubilnes quhen Lallander
>tha trubilnes quhen yer cultur's cairand deider as Hielan cultur bit naebady's gywyand a hoot fer it's no vogg
Bein a Lallander is soverand.

>the ___ __ lowlander
>the __ __ your culture's _ as dead as highland culture but nobody's giving a hoot for it's no _
can you translate?

>that feel when Lowlander
>that feel when your culture is deader than highland culture but nobody cares because it's not as cool
Being a Lowlander is suffering

for

>tfw highlander
>macleod clan
>one of the wealthiest in Scotland and most powerful
>suddenly
>english
>expelled to live in shitty glasgow instead of beautiful Skye

Many's the lad fought on that day
Well the claymore did wield
When the night came
silently lain
Dead on Culloden field

Speed bonnie boat like a bird on the wing
Onward the sailors cry.
Carry the lad that's born to be king
Over the sea to Skye

Though the waves heave
soft will ye sleep
Ocean's a royal bed
Rocked in the deep
Flora will keep
Watch by your weary head

Speed bonnie boat like a bird on the wing
Onward the sailors cry.
Carry the lad that's born to be king
Over the sea to Skye

youtube.com/watch?v=VQ1PdFN2Kmc

I cry everytime ;-;

Óró, sé do bheatha ‘bhaile,
Óró, sé do bheatha ‘bhaile,
Óró, sé do bheatha ‘bhaile
Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

A Shéarlais Óig, a mhic Rí Shéamais
‘Sé mo mhór-chreach do thriall as Éirinn
Gan tuinnte bróig’ ort, stoca nó leinidh
Ach do chascairt leis na Gallaibh.

‘Sé mo léan géar nach bhfeicim
Mur mbéinn beo ‘na dhiaidh ach seachtain
Séarlas Óg is míle gaiscidheach
Ag fógairt fáin ar Ghallaibh.

Tá Séarlas Óg ag triall thar sáile
Béidh siad leisean, Franncaigh is Spáinnigh
Óglaigh armtha leis mar gharda
‘S bainfidh siad rinnce as éiricigh!

too many feels

ah cheers
Is that modern Scots? It seems quite a bit different from Ulster Scots

youtube.com/watch?v=ou-FHCREhDg

Standing proud the Celtic Race
Never feared the foe to face
Scot and Irish we are one we're
Celts we're Celts we will fight on

William Wallace sword in hand
fought to free his home and land
Hugh O Neill and Eoghan Roe
On Ulster's hills they fought the foe
England the ancient enemy
Took with force our liberty
tried to destroy our freedom's cause
With Cruel and oppressive foreign laws

Our histories are twisted like the rope
That hung around many a rebel throat
Resistance and rising through the years
We've lost good men, shed floods of tears
Its time for England a truth to face
They will never defeat the Celtic Race
Scot and Irish we are one
Our people our music our Gealic tongue

Why were Scots so shit at warfare?
They were literally raped in 90% of battles they fought with English.

more or less, though "quhen" is a 16th century word, I think nowadays it would be "whan"

Never conquered :)

Yeah, about that...

1 kill for every 400 men is better than 1 for every 30

One real battle is better than meme battle.
>m-muh K/D ratio
Where is Scotland on the map by the way? I only see "United Kingdom" :^)

Scotland was the one that put the act towards you. I'm not British I don't care I'm just supporting my ancestors.

Bank of England formed by Scotsman.

>m-muh heritage
Should've known.

>memes as an argument
look like I won :)

But you know they weren't united through conquest, yes?

The English lost a war against 1 Scottish noble lmao

Hawick 1514 never forget

lowland scots is essentially badly spelt english, lowlands culture was essentially badly educated english culture with added cattle theft, its unmourned because its passing was no tragedy, rather a joyous event as the scots learnt that they could rob just as well as merchants with fewer people trying to kill them.

romantacism and hagiography aside, the '45 was essentially a attempt to subvert the clearly expressed will of parliament and the british people and enforce the rule of a foreign born pretender who would have been a french client had he succeeded and whose sympathy was very much not with scots freedom of religion,

its worth noting that at the time Charles Stuart did not enjoy significant popular support in much of scotland never mind his complete rejection by the people of england, and that more scots fought against him than for him

this

>essentially badly spelt english
It's not. It's correctly spelt Middle-english with a bit of slang.

>badly educated english culture
Ahem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Enlightenment

Also David Hume, a "badly educated" lowlander is on English bank notes.

>lowland scots is essentially badly spelt english
It was recognized as being a differently language by the international community at large at the time, my dude

"The author of the anonymous 1548 work, The Complaynt of Scotland, laid out a case for there being manifold cultural differences between England and Scotland, including differences in language. In England, correspondence in Scots was both written and received, though it was often tinged with some Anglicisation. In 1556, King Philip and queen Mary of England addressed a letter dated to Mary of Guise queen dowager and regent of Scotland that read:

>"Rycht excellent, rycht, heich and mychtie princesse our dearest suster and allia We recommend ws hairtlie unto yow, and quhair of laitt within these four or fyve yeiris certane of the subjectis of this our realme have with our gude licence usit trafficque into partis of Muscovia aboute the feate of mercheandice..."

Which definitely doesn't look like the English of the period. The whole letter does have some elements of English in it, (frome rather than fra, our rather than ower, forasmuch rather than forsameikle), and the fact that we can recognize such differences shows that they definitely weren't the same thing.

In 1624, the English operating in Ireland petitioned for clerks who spoke Scots, because their Scottish peers' letters could "not be read or understood.'

In 1578, the Italian tutor John Florio wrote that Elizabeth I was able to speak eight languages, “Scottish” among them, listed separately from English. Supporting this, the Scottish wife of Irish Lord Turlough O’Neill, Agnes Campbell, penned a letter in Scots to Elizabeth I in 1571, because she could not speak English.

In the 16th century, Scottish priest Ninian Winzet wrote an angry letter to John Knox, complaining that he could not understand Knox's writing anymore, and they would have to correspond in Latin. Knox had started to write in a heavily anglicised version of Scots, which McClure has suggested calling "Anglo-Scots". It's been suggested that Winzet was just being a bit cheeky, and I'm inclined to agree, but the fact that he even made the joke shows that there was a recognized difference.

In the early 16th century, the Scottish philosopher Florence Wilson was said by Frenchman Barthelemy Aneau to be fluent in several languages, including “Escossais”, but not English. In 1590, during a meeting with Dutch Envoys, one Colonel Stuart at the court of James VI (as recorded by an English writer) “had drawn up a certain writing, first in Scotch” which he had to translate to Latin to be understood. In 1498, Don Pedro de Ayala, Spanish ambassador to James IV, remarked that Scottish and English were "as different as the languages of Aragon and Castille". In 1533 in Sweden, the Scots book The Richt Way To the Kingdome of Hevine was published by reformer John Gau, translated from Danish for a Scottish audience.

These examples, and many others besides, clearly demonstrate that the international consideration of Scots in the 16th century was that it was just another European language like any other, of no less prestige or status than English and certainly not junior or otherwise inferior to it. According to Joanna Kopaczyk, it is imperative that 16th century Scots be recognised as a typical European language of the period, one progressing towards a codified standardization, though it never quite reached that stage."

Was highlander culture based more on the old pictish culture or the culture of the gaelic settlers?

>was essentially a attempt to subvert the clearly expressed will of parliament and the british people and enforce the rule of a foreign born pretender
pretty much, but it's still a sad part of history. Also James Edward Stuart was born in England. I don't know how subservient to France he would have been but I'd bet that Catholics would have enjoyed religious freedom, highlanders among them, even if James didn't particularly care about those folks

the U.K started under a Scottish monarch actually. Technically. it was Scotland "taking over" England. But of course as England was much more populous and larger, it would be the center point of Britain.

But your >le snarky comment is still historically dumb

By the 11th century there isn't really anything of Pictish culture left. Their language influenced the Scottish variety of Gaelic to a very small degree but that's about it.

tfw no jacobite gf

I get pretty sad thinking about the burning of the library of Alexandria. I know we didn't lose le epic space knowledge, but I bet there are quite a few great ancient texts that were lost. Like Sappho's poetry and stuff. Depending on when it actually burnt we may have lost some great Roman writing too

>wake up
>get out of bed
>remember scotland voted no
>suddenly reminded my entire heritage, "language" culture and nation are a running joke

How do you deal with it?

rip in peace dusty hesky

>Scotland

Hold fast boyo.

i-it was just banter

I'm Scottish and fuck the highlands tbqh

I hate how they've put Gaelic on railway signs where it was never spoken.

It was spoken everywhere 1000 years ago

>globalism will kill any future Gaeilge might have had

I warned you

I don't

HAIL

>clearly expressed will of parliament
>the british people

A great number of them seem to have disagreed. Most of the Catholics I'd imagine.

English cucked their royal line cause muh papists. Funny.

>the old pictish culture

this is the culture that was displaced and forever warped by the eastern coloinies of Dal Riata, kingdom of the Irish tribe known as Scoti, from hence the name of their land is today known.

It wes spakkit maist everywhaur in Scotland afore Malcolm Canmore's kinrick

>tfw Direct descendent of a large Jacobite clan...

a majority of the population rejected stuart rule, that 100'000 objected doesnt mean that 10'000'000 didnt reject the stuarts