Can someone identify this car for me? Saw it the other day i think it looks pretty neat

Can someone identify this car for me? Saw it the other day i think it looks pretty neat.

Mk4 VW Golf.
It's pretty mediocre.

>tfw you get a civic si hatch and your neighbor gets OP's pic a week later in the same color

Is he trying to tell me something?

>Mk4 VW Golf.
How is it mediocre? I like the Looks of it and thats what im into so back off, also thanks for telling me the name been searching for days.

Some more pics for you guys

Would you consider it rice or nice?

>German car
>rice
You are beyond retarded

It's a clean slow car, too low for my preference.

That's just not any golf. It's the 20th anniversary edition. It's sexy as hell and if you don't like it you're a loser.

mk4 are overrated

t;mk4 owner

>How is it mediocre?
They're not all that fun to drive, nor all that reliable. It's like a Toyota Corolla hatchback that will break down once a month minimum.

>b-but VW! Muh German engineering!
You mean Mexican... since they were built in Mexico.

The 2.0L engines are an ancient engine prom the Jurassic era. I'm sure there's a pic somewhere of a T-rex trying (and failing) to replace the timing belt on a VW 2.0L 8V.
The 1.8L Turbo engines have large aftermarket support (actually, all the engines of the Golf have great aftermarket support). While they were touted as technologically advanced with their 5 valve per cylinder heads, the turbocharged variants made similar power to non-turbocharged 1.8L competitors.
The VR6 engines can be a bitch to work on, but my god they make a glorious noise.
The only reliable engines they came with were the 1.9L TDI diesels.... but then you have a diesel engine.

On the interesting note, the aftermarket is great for them. You can take a 4 door Golf hatchback and make a pickup truck out of it and its sedan sister, the Jetta.

Golfs weren't built in Mexico

GTIs were made in Germany...until the MK 7 came.

The interior is tragic, all rattles and is covered in rubber based paint that constantly sheds
Constant electrical failures
Rust problems on front and rear fenders and on the boot
Diesels might be reliable but are noisy and vibrating as FUCK and parts are more expensive when compared to French/Italian

t;

>this is bait but...
>Wolfsburg, Mexico not germany

they're shit cars but the fact that they were built in mexico isn't what makes them bad

BMW, Mercedes, Kia, Chevrolet and Ford also assemble a lot of cars in mexico, and have been doing so for years, quality standards remain the same.

Mk4's are shit because they started the m-muh warning lights !! meme/reality that is yet to stop, same with interiors that smell like crayons, sticky interior plastics and matte interior paint bubbling and peeling off when it doesn't turn sticky.

VR6 mk4's are nose heavy and weird to drive, and the r32 isn't much better.

MK4's are generally driven by complete douchebags and pretentious children, not to mention the stancefags. just take a look at the mk4 section in vwvortex.

>tfw drive a Mk4 as a courier
>Put on 30,000km in the last five months

All I've had to do is replace the steering rack and front wheel bearings, because the car was at 200k and they were the originals. Other than that it hasn't skipped a beat. I always see VW hate, but once I got used to everything in the interior rattling I've been happy, especially considering the amount of driving I do in a 17 year old car.

>MK4's are generally driven by complete douchebags and pretentious children, not to mention the stancefags. just take a look at the mk4 section in vwvortex.
The only exception I've found if the VW New Beetle, which is a MK4 underneath. Never met a bug owner who wasn't a nice personable person.
It's like the bugs attract people with personalities as bubbly and happy as the Renault Twingo.

god i fkin hate vwfags

Mine's assembled in South Africa, and half of the parts in the car say they're made there too. I've got the 2.0L 8V which is an affront to modern engineering.

It's among the last nice looking VWs made, nice manual gearbox, slow, expensive to maintain, would not go there again though. My interior has held up really well though.

Other than the headlamps I think it looks mean as fuck

>You mean Mexican... since they were built in Mexico.
it doesn't matter if it's built by Juan or by Hans if the engineering behind it its shit.

fuck volkswagen

I used to own a mk4 gti. The 1.8t is pretty fun in a 5 speed but still needs some mods to be fast. I heard the vr6 is great tho, never driven it.

Im a vag fag at heart

but only to mk1's

pic related, my old baby

Yeah it looks mean but it can't back it up. I just don't understand these people wasting money on a slow turd by making it slower. I know, I know "to each his own" but I just don't get it.
It doesn't help that here in Yurop like 90% of the scene are stanced VAG shitboxes, legit nobody actually cares about driving they just wanna take pictures. Fuck I sound so butthurt.

Pic related, it's a 1.4 mk6 with Porsche wheels

Pretty much. My first car was a Mk4 Jetta and, while the 2.0 was tough as fuck, everything around it was completely terrible.

>trans stopped shifting to fourth gear. eventually shifted fine later, then the problem returned
>sticky interior, but it did look nice otherwise
>loved the blue and red lighting at night
>alarm and electric locks wouldn't work half the time

Got it at 200k miles for $750 running, sold it at almost 240k for $400 to a Mexican. Pic related is the last pic I took of it. I don't really miss it at all.

Aside from not ever figuring out why mine wouldn't shift to fourth, I only had to replace a starter motor. I just hated that it was extremely deep in the engine bay. What is a pretty simple job on other cars is an ordeal with that one.

May have liked it more if it were a manual.

>making it slower
I don't understand this, but I agree on mk4 being nothing more than stancefags for the most part.

Most of Veeky Forums has a massive hate-on for Volkswagen, which is only partly deserved.

In simple terms the Mk4 is rather heavy for what it is, and fwd limits its potential for upgrading.

It can serve as a decent DD, even a fun one with some mods, but be prepared for the usual electrical gremlins and higher-than-average parts cost.

Mk1 and Mk2 ('92 and earlier) are much better cars

>interior
I fucking hate this about this era of Volkswagens. it actually looks okay when new, but ages horribly.

Though it may technically share the platform, the New Beetle is utter garbage. I'll admit this even as a fan of VW. Cramped and awkward up front, bizarrely long dash, poorly placed mirrors... and a reported tendency to catch fire. For some reason most of the paint colors they offered on the things fade really badly, and in a way that makes the plastic bumpers more obvious with age.

They fixed the issues with the 2012 redesign (just "Beetle" now) but there's not much reason to buy one over a golf/GTi unless you really like the look.

My brother in law has a mk4 gti. Same color. It gets referred to as the banana car. Pretty neat little thing.
>fwd
Not a knock but I imagine would be funner with rwd

Amen fella. I miss mine too

Whoever guesses right gets 10 million upboats!

Found the vape and scrape vw kid

your'e momma!!!!

too low and that shit on the roof
otherwise pretty nice

Does anyone have the photo of the dinosaur and the timing belt?

K R A N J
R
A
N
J

kva pa parkiras pr merkurju

If no one can find such a pic, can someone make one? This sounds hilarious. I can just picture a T-rex flailing its tiny arms about in frustration.

>and the r32 isn't much better.
The R32 is probably the worst German "performance" car ever. It's slower than a V6 Camry and understeers like the nose heavy pig it is.

>has stig reaction image
>doesn't know what golf4 looks like
bait

>interior smelling like crayons
Not even an entire forest of Black Ice can stop the smell, feels bad :<
The plastics I agree on, almost 80% of all of them have this weird sticky residue and if you try and remove it, it just completely fucks it up even worse. B-but muh VR6 doe...
Also I don't think of myself as a douchebag or pretentious child, I haven't done anything to mine aside from maintenance cause fuck the price of "german" parts.

>this weird sticky residue and if you try and remove it, it just completely fucks it up even worse.

I've got this over my glovebox especially.

Got some foaming cleaner to try and remove it. You're only talking about physically scrubbing it off right? I'm just gonna spray and wipe.

I kinda miss my old Jetta wagon. It was a fun car. The 1.8t was a neat engine, but needed a lot to really give it the power it wishes it had. Still wouldn't ever own one again. Do want another MK1 though, especially if I can find a relatively rust-free Caddy.

Fuck the crayon smell though. The fuck was up with that?