Is it safe to drive immediately after starting your car?

Is it safe to drive immediately after starting your car?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=svjytSjd6g0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It doesn't matter, the corvette still can't compete.

give it at least a few seconds to get the juices flowing

ur mom had juices flowing in her asa last night

on most modern cars, yes. It'll bring the engine up to operating temperature faster. Wait 30 seconds at absolute most to make sure the oil pressure has forced oil everywhere.

The wait until it warms up meme is for older cars with iron blocks and iron heads (like an old Chevy 350 V8 or a Buick 3800 V6).
Most engines now are all aluminum and they cool so well that you need to drive it to bring it up to temperature.

I like to give my car at least 25 seconds to run before i start driving, because i park on a really steep hill

Old cars needed to warm the carb up and start pulling proper vacuum to keep the engine running.

Its a bit more of an active process since it generally means either waiting until the choke opens up if its a decent old carb and has an electric choke or holding it at 1000 rpm until it holds idle

Even on my 01 Cav i let it run for a bit under a minute because the 4T45e shifts rather janky when cold. It will hang on the 1-2 shift for the first time after a cold start for about 2 1/2 seconds and then it shifts smooth as butter after that.

no dont listen to these dipshits youll spin a bearing

wait at LEAST a whole minute, and row through the gears a few times to get the transmission woke up too

Don't forget your tinfoil hat it reflects the gamma rays that will drain your battery.

Quit yer memeing

When my vette sat for 15 years I opened up the valve covers to make sure there was still oil in the top end and even after sitting for a decade and a half it still was nice and greazy up top

Your oil pump ought to squirt enough just from turning over the starter to make sure the bottom end is oiled up before the engine even catches.

Also rowing the gears will do nothing but make you look like an autist and wear out your shifter bushings faster. The trans "warms up" by soaking heat from the engine block to warm up the lubricant but gear oil is sticky nasty stuff so it sticks to the gear anyway

youtube.com/watch?v=svjytSjd6g0
you can see the how long it takes oil to get to the heads here

I wait about 30 seconds
and then I keep it under 2000 rpm and keep the load light for a couple minutes of driving.
and I get it above 50% rpm before I park it.

top end isn't really what you worry about

Cam and crank are the more dire needs and there should be enough oil already in the pump to get them almost immediately

OHC motors get oil to the heads much faster than pushrods by design

What about starting your car and then stopping it before it's had the chance to warm up?

That's only really a problem on rotary engines since it causes them to flood.

>I turn my car on and while I'm in neutral coast backwards out of my driveway

By the time I'm ready to shift into first it's probably been 15 seconds or so and I just go

I've got an 04 Silverado and I let mine runot for 2-3 minutes in the morning. It really hates to be driven cold.

Put it on electricity for a second or two to get the fuel pump ready, start, then rev a little to get the oil running.

Nothing really, but if that's most of your driving you should really just consider walking or biking since it's less than 2 miles.

I usually turn on my car, set GPS/check map, set radio/music, test lights and by the time I'm done the car is ready to go.
I almost never just start it and go immediately.

>tfw fapped to that comic earlier

>pushrods

Found the problem