Anime Girls Developing Games

previous thread →

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

Other urls found in this thread:

finalbossblues.com/thinking-in-color/
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev
yoyogames.com/gamemaker
godotengine.org/
haxeflixel.com/
love2d.org/
unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
unity3d.com/
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
github.com/LunarG/VulkanSamples/blob/master/demos/tri.c
cgmasters.net/free-tutorials/uv-unfolding-blender/
vulkan-tutorial.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bet you haven't even made progress today

Welp, moving this here from the old thread

I need help again...
Can anyone tell me what the problem with this jump script is and how to fix it? It just doesn't work.

textuploader com /58xdz

>It just doesn't work.
Won't help until you're more helpful than that

Its only a matter of time

Made another new enemy. This one's name is Bombegranate. He launches a barrage of pomegranate seeds at the player when they get too close. Like with Nanners, the pomegranate also acts as a shield, and have to attack the opposite side to deal damage.

Is foot sliding acceptable for attack animations?

>one pixel is too thin
>two pixels is too thick

Looks like the character isn't jumping when he should

This is why anti aliasing exists.

Uhhhh thicker!

Shitter dev here, I was trying to make a "color palette" near of the character I am doing for easy access to colors but it just doesn't seem great. After a few days using Aseprite and making pixel character I am picking better tones without relying on it.

Or is this the right way to make a character?

Fair enough...
Friend and I are working on our first game and we decided to switch from Rune-like combat to less action oriented. I made a script that's using character controller to move around and it's working as it should, but the old jump script which is using rigidbody doesn't work anymore. I tried adjusting it to character controller instead, but nothing happens when I press the jump button.

>Bombegranate
I love you

Too similar in my opinion. Maybe he could bury himself for the duration of his attack instead?

Love the design and name though.

Forgot pic, because I probably described it wrongly

not sure why the enemy torpedo doesn't explode when the first turtle touches it, but it's definitely a feature

finalbossblues.com/thinking-in-color/

Thank ye mates. And they're supposed to be very similar. The idea is that they are the same creature, but they just happened to pick up a different fruit and use them essentially for the same purpose.

What line are you actually moving the character on?

>moveDirection.y = jumpSpeed * minJump;
I want to guess this is supposed to move the character, but I don't think you're setting the characters position to it after you modify it

>Taking advice on colour selection from a guy who puts white on black in a manner which makes text invisible when selected.

>finalbossblues.com/thinking-in-color/
I will check it out later, but by the first page I guess I am not doing that bad

>puts lewd jam above Demo day 10
Amazing, love this shitposter OP.

Here's the things you forgot
> AGDG Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

?

Monday I will be upgrading to a Pentium from my Celeron! I eagerly await my increased power and memory clock speed.

I wish I wasn't poor.

Also, I'm starting to get into the groove. Just wrote my first few pieces of useful C++. Guns now use a C++ base class that has functions for shooting and shit.
Man declaring 2D Arrays is so much easier in UE if you use C++ instead of the batshit insane approach of the editor.

>color theory
>color palette

Now that is a sexy and clean OP for once
Notice how gracefully the pastebins wrap under the pic

Magnificent.

what I was trying to get at is your color choice isn't very good - your colors need to have higher contrast otherwise the final result looks muddy, harder to read and won't stand out as much.

I've had 3 smaller ideas that flesh out my current idea, and I typed some of it down into my design document.

Progress Y/N?

reminds me of yoshi's island, make sure to include torpedoes with wildy inaccurate tracking

What button on the gamepad should open the pause menu: START or BACK?

locking physics at 60 fps because why not, everything else will run as fast as it can

here's 60 vs 30

Yeah, that's supposed to move him up the y axis but it doesn't really do anything

>making a game so imperfect that it needs a pause menu
A perfect game does not need a pause menu.
Prove me wrong.

you mean OPTIONS or SHARE ?

>UE on a pentium or celeron
How are you even running it, dear god.

There are many places to idle safely in a classic mega man game, but sometimes the dog is dry heaving and needs to be rushed outside during a boss battle

Start

>BACK
>OPTIONS
>SHARE
>buttons on a controller

I'm not taking this bait, but I am condemning it.

It's okay as long as I don't compile shit.

In fact, if I wasn't a dev, I wouldn't need anything past a Celeron for any situation but playing PS2. It's surprisingly beefy for everyday shit.

hue shift when changing values
the lighter the color the less saturation and the darker the color the more saturation
colors themselves also have value (yellow is much brighter than blue) so take that into account

this could all be meme knowledge though, artists have tricked me the past

Anyone have that UI color scheme sheet? Can't find it for the life of me.

send help

>moveDirection = new Vector3();
>transform.TransformDirection(moveDirection);
Put a breakpoint here, and you will probably see that moveDirection is not what you think it is, and also reading the docs for TransformDirection it is probably not what you want either

Can you link the shader?

unwrapping a mesh in blender, has seams but seems to be deforming wildly inside the UV display

anyone know what im doing wrong?

And here with VS running and a few assets opened.

Tell me about your game, /agdg/.

Are you aiming towards comfy fun or challenge?

Is your game gamepad compatible? Hell, are your controls hardcoded or configurable?

Does your game have local co-op?

How much replay value does your game have?

>vulkan
This must be like 30000 lines of code right?
What are you making? Is there a noticeable difference in performance compared to GL/D3D?

?

its like ZELDA but an mmo

>Are you aiming towards comfy fun or challenge?
Both, people that want comfy can just reduce the difficulty.
>Is your game gamepad compatible? Hell, are your controls hardcoded or configurable?
Yes to gamepad and configurable controls, one of the first things I implemented.
>Does your game have local co-op?
No
>How much replay value does your game have?
Not much probably

All the blessings in the world to you sir.

The ammo system will make you go "what the fuck".
The inventory is based on Tetris.
Story is open for interpretation.
No controllers every, but reconfigurable controls.

Game is not working correctly if you don't need to put in effort.

Replay value comes with speedrunning and variety of loadouts and shit.

I try to avoid pitfalls of many games, like the two guns faggotry and time-based functionality that basically makes idling desirable.

why aren't you making your pixel art on the Sega Digitizer System™ /agdg/

Why are you working on a triangulated mesh?

Feel free to take a look around here:
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE

In this SRPG game, your goal is to bring a relic to the other side's base. Kills don't matter. Just scoring touchdowns.

So, other than a football field, what other levels should I have?

I mean it looks to me like you're creating a default Vector3 which is (0,0,0), then converting that from a position relative to the character, TO a position in worldspace. Since (0,0,0) is the character origin in local space, the value will just end up being identical to the characters position in world space. Adding +10 to the Y will just mean the vector is pointing to a spot somewhat above the character, in world space. Unless Unity does something under the sheets I dont see any reason why the character would move, just because you're defining this vector3 and transforming it. I don't know how Unity does movement but it seems to me like you should be setting the transform.position to the point you transformed.

counterstrike map

anime butte level

it's just for testing though, but it's nothing special.

vec3 vertexToLightDirection = normalize(lightPosition - vertexPosition);
outColor = diffuse.rgb * max(0.1, smoothstep(0.0, 0.05, dot(vertexNormal, vertexToLightDirection)));

it's around 1300, some of it is math stuff and IO.
not sure yet, I want to make a horror game. it's way faster when you're building commands on several threads, works well with culling.

Honestly, I think CS should be renamed de_dust2.

>it's around 1300,
No way, that's it?

>spending 10 hours learning how to draw
>spend 30 minutes actually trying to make progress

Fuck Art

I thought triangles were the best.

Triangles good.
Quads bad.
ngons never.

lol

First puzzle of the game will involve a combination of star signs to open something where a book is stored, should this "thing" be:
>A crypt
>A literal safe
>An assortment of gravestones than when activated in the correct order make the ground itself open

Or some other, more creative, suggestion?

>started working in my first character ever yesterday
>pretty much have done a sketch yesterday within 4h
>today I went in details with it 10am
>it's 5pm and I am still not done, the character itself isn't amazing but I keep finding something that just look wrong and keep fixing
SOMEONE TAKE ME OFF FROM THIS RIDE, AT THIS RATE I WILL NEVER MAKE A GAME

yep, but keep in mind that there's no abstraction involved, that'll come when I refactor everything properly. this one is a bit more proper

github.com/LunarG/VulkanSamples/blob/master/demos/tri.c

Why didn't i google this earlier.

my game is a lot of fun but the chance of that happening is incredibly low

work with quads
export tris

>tris
Maybe if you work unshaded and have no to little movement. Tris are generally bad for "organic" models.

Because I only use TempleOS

my game is finished but the chance of it being finished is incredibly low

Make more seams. Pinning what's good and unwrapping again might also help a lot.
If it's still too wild to handle you may want to create different islands (separate a part of the mesh from the rest, using seams as well) for the parts that cause you trouble.

I found this tutorial pretty helpful
cgmasters.net/free-tutorials/uv-unfolding-blender/

Your mesh gets triangulated when you export it to your game engine. You want as many quads as possible when modeling. (Except in some rare cases where you want to stop the quad flow or add triangles to an area for better deformation)

Why so purposefully macabre to start?

Why not just have insane writing all over the walls with numbers of various colors. Then, somewhere else, have a lock with a four digit code. Above the lock, cleaner than anything else, Have the it say CODE: and then four splotches of colors. The splotches would be 1:1 with a number. So if there was a red splotch in the code, only have 1 red number. But if there is no green in the code, you could have 2 or more green numbers all over the wall.

This would give you an excuse to make the player explore the hell out of the room.

nuke best map

And SupCom is Seton's Clutch and C&C Generals Tournament Desert?

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity entirely relies on pausing the game as a mechanic.

It's a perfect game.

You're wrong.

Scrawls where the intended way to hint about the starsigns, the game the good book is however quite large, and the first explorable location in the game is this church on a mountain (far from finished). There are now alot more in the level, this is an old webm
Your idea for a puzzle will probably be stolen for a later level though, thanks.

>github.com/LunarG/VulkanSamples/blob/master/demos/tri.c
I'll just stick to GL

>watching anime
>while making game

Watched it expecting some neat "holy" / "fallen god" inspo. Really really shit except the alternate ending movie.

I can't go back to GL when I realized how shitty it actually is, everything is broken.

Most of that is initialization/framework code, i.e. stuff you write once.

I'm only doing 2D shit so once I abstracted way all the gl code I don't even look at it anymore.
How'd you learn to use Vulkan though?

Gave the Hornet some gears.

just read the documentation and the example I linked you
now there's a really simple tutorial out though
vulkan-tutorial.com/

I'm also there.

>Have to study for a test.
>Decide to relax from studies with gamedev.

>Do neither and fucking waste time on the internets only.

Welp, fixed it
Thanks for help

feature creep, gonna creep.

Are you a TRUE indie dev?

just drop out of uni, you'll be able to dev all day

all
day

Yeah my friends love that show but I was never a fan. They really do have shit taste.

it's boring as fuck and plays like shit

you're wrong

Isn't the center square usually automatic or free?

Thanks dude
My toaster doesn't seem to be supported but I'll read through it to get the concepts.

Exactly