Modern warfare is shit tier, you just push a button and all your enemies are dead

Modern warfare is shit tier, you just push a button and all your enemies are dead.

I can't imagine how brave you have to be to fight hand to hand in a phalax or medieval infantry. How the fuck did people do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

t. never been shot at

>I can't imagine how brave you have to be to fight hand to hand in a phalax or medieval infantry. How the fuck did people do it?

I honestly think death tolls in medieval warfare was extremely low, or at least is heavily exaggerated. Considering the form of action that took place.

There was usually ranks of infantry so you would assume when someone is injured and unable to fulfill his role in the formation he is immediately sent to the back and his spot is filled with someone capable.

I am most certainly wrong though.

(You)

To add to this, routes were so common because people were afraid of dying and as soon as it looked like they were going to die most peoples did the bolt.

If you measure them as a percentage of total forces committed, ancient and medieval battle tended towards lower losses than modern battle. And most of those would be inflicted in the post-rout chase, where you're mostly just running down people who can't fight back.

Actual killing when the battle was in doubt tended to be somewhere between 2% and 5%

It is really sad that we will probably never see a depiction in movies and tv of true warfare as it's full of human cowardice and what it truly means to be in life and death situation.

Skirmishes that would take place on the flanks, cavalry maneuverability, generals in action.

It's all about the face off and sending your whole army at theirs.

I don't know. Flying bullets and bombs are lot more scary than a dude with a sword or whatever.

While I agree with your stance, having someone with a blade running at you screaming bloody murder has a very definite psychological effect on a combatant. There's a reason armies are still issued with bayonets and taught to use them. The aggressive mindset is something that is hard to counter.

Your thread is shit tier you fucking faggot
Reminder to report and Sage shitty threads

Bruhs.

youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI

What the hell

>What the hell
Inflicting psychological damage in a visual and auditory sense is thankfully one of the things to not make such an appearance in modern warfare.

You also need to remember during those times there was mystery - there wasn't science we know today, there was faith, you could terrify peoples into thinking you are mud-men created only to kill.

>mud-men created only to kill.

i think line warfare is the most unsettling one

>everything is exploding around you

>meanwhile you just calmly stand in line
>patiently wait for your turn
>arrive on the frontline
>shoot
>die
how did everyone just walk into the giant meatgrinder as if it were nothing ?
impressive, but fucking terrifying

nice doggo
hope they don't eat it

>hope they don't eat it
Probably not that one, too skinny.

PNG is a bloody terrifying place.

Again, most of them wouldn't actually die, those muskets at the usual engagement ranges weren't all that accurate.

In some ways though, that makes it worse, IMO. Fire volley, volley 2, volley three, and then a few people nearby you go down, and then people take their places, and volley some more. The high amount of time/casualties is itself horrifying, you can't get away, but you're not so pre-occupied with surviving the next 5 seconds as to drive out everything else.

They didn't have large quanities of reliable explosive shot until late into the 19th century.
Muskets only had a 1 in 3 chance of hitting someone in formation at 100 yards.
Not to mention if your side manages to maintain discipline until it comes time for the charge, you generally win.

The real fear comes from knowing that your commanding officer might be a coward or completely incompetent.

I was also under the impression that at the time the bullets which were used didn't have much penetration power and pretty much had to hit a fatal spot in order to kill?

To kill outright yes. But a musketball lodged in you can cause massive internal bleeding. Arms and legs would often get shattered by the force requiring amputation. Not to mention getting an infection was basically a death sentence.

All true but the Napoleonic wars actually saw very bloody battles close to WW1 numbers (especially in proportion with the population): Borodino saw 77,000 casualties in one day, Eylau more than 35,000, Waterloo over 50,000, Leipzig had more than 90,000 in three days.
Granted, they were not all killed in action but nonetheless the numbers of casualties is horrifying: between 1808 and 1814 France lost over 250,000 men killed in Spain.
In 20 years of constant warfare France lost an entire generation crippling its demographics for a century to come (and then WW1 will destroy another one).

I know it's fantasy shit but check out episode 9 of season 6 of game of thrones, the battle scene is pretty realistic

Is the dog also in war paint?

Better yet you should watch some Sharpe.

Says the fool that never served

>What is PSYOPs.

is it that one where they literally make a mountain out of corpses so high they cannot climb it? that one?

Not the user you were talking to, but yes. It was a decent depiction of a battle when you compare it to other battle depictions in media, but the corpse mountain was retarded.

WW1 era Frenchman, pls

They were motivated by muh diq. Just imagine: when all your enemies have been vanquished, you are free to take any woman you want.

Have you seen a beheading?

You have to remember that people had a pretty short livespan back then. Wars and small fights happened all the time. They didn't have modern medicine so a cut during something as simple as farming could spell the end of a person's life. With so many people dying daily, I imagine the average adult to be desensitized to both warfare and death.

Modern warfare (at least counterinsurgency) is a slow as fuck dance of positioning and fire superiority and is disorientating as fuck if you don't know where the rounds are coming from. And it's an even bigger OH SHIT moment when you realize you don't know where they are but they know where you are. Now imagine being pinned down in a compound for 8 hours because the QRF's buffalo whacked and IED and now they're calling up EOD to clear the road. You hear all of this over the radio and know they're about 5 miles out, so close to you, within reach of saving your dumbass. But they're stuck because they can't move unless they know the road is clear. Finally, 12 hours after you've sheltered in the compound listening to the taliban spray the walls with pkms hoping to god they don't get a runner with an rpg to blow you he fuck away your QRF arrives. The taliban melt into the mountains around you and all goes quiet, the tang of gunpowder is still hot on your nose and your a gunner has a nasty burn on his hand because he choked up and grabbed the hot barrel off your 240 because he was literally acting on instinct and training. You get back to your PB, take a waterborne shower, set up watches and get ready to go out again, down that same stretch of road tomorrow