Why does a new 600hp corvette have a smooth and easy to use clutch while aftermarket clutches in a 600hp evo...

Why does a new 600hp corvette have a smooth and easy to use clutch while aftermarket clutches in a 600hp evo, 350z etc are a total pain to drive? What gives? Pic unrelated.

probably twin disc

flywheel size

Size or weight?

well, both. weight mostly, but a wider diameter flywheel will also have a higher moment and thus more force.

also the clutch throw might be longer, less pucks, oem clutches are designed to be smooth and easy, aftermarket aren't. but flywheel weight is probably the biggest immediate factor.

This is right on point. With a larger diameter flywheel, less clamping force is required.

this

they're large diameter twin disc clutches. very friendly for women and old men, but theyre heavy as fuck.

no aftermarket would make something as crude and heavy

So without making a larger bell housing(provided there's room) there's not really a way to make an aftermarket set up easy to use. If it was they probably would have done it, right?

you can go for multidisc setups

more discs means more holding ability with the same spring pressure

False, they do make aftermarket twin discs and they are lighter than stock. They make them for 600hp 800hp and well over 1000hp.

>no aftermarket would make something as crude and heavy

why would you buy an aftermarket performance clutch, and then worry about ease of use? the entire point is to not compromise between the two.

a heavier flywheel clutch assembly saps hp, lowers throttle response, boost response, etc.

Just cause its fucking lighter doesn't mean it isn't as smooth. The comment implied it has to be crude and heavy for it to be smooth.

factory performance cars are designed by engineers to have components that work properly on a specific car while maintaining a sense of refinement and comfort. While your overpowered Franken-tuner car will require stronger components jun to keep it from breaking down; which will sacrifice its ease of driveability.

And that would keep it more streetable?
My friend has a 500whp evo and the clutch is horrific, you have to rev it up to like 3k to get the thing moving, it's rough and loud and chatters. It's completely useless for daily driving and is barely steetable for more than a weekend drive.
I'm just curious as to why it seems there isn't a best of both worlds.

>mfw a clutch that takes more than an inch of pedal travel to disengage

>best of both worlds
doesn't exist. race cars are hard to drive.

>his clutch isn't self adjusting / he doesnt know how to adjust his clutch

Yet a new z06 with more power is easier to drive. So doesn't it exist?

More streetable than what?

And in theory it could be streetable. It all depends on the type of disc(s) used. The aftermarket race clutches with solid metallic discs will generally behave like your friend's evo clutch.

>pic is an oem 2 disc out of a gt500 mustang

it has more power because it's 6 fucking liters bro

My linkage is squared away.
The point is that slow engaging clutches are gay

The question isn't which has more power, it's about steetability.

ok your dumb, bye

My Mcleod RXT is handling about 900hp at the crank and drives like a stock civic clutch

Reason a 600hp civic or evo clutch is a dick to drive is because they did not design the car to take a big clutch so the clamp loads have to be way higher because less surface area.

It's easier but the clutch itself is probably very heavy and with a large diameter. I bet your friends evo catches revs faster.