In the process of buying a car but I have no one to show me the way...

In the process of buying a car but I have no one to show me the way. Parents aren't reliable and friends are just as clueless as I am

What should I look out for when it comes to independent dealerships? I know there has to be hidden APR ripoffs and such but how do I know I'm getting a good deal? Found this gorgeous Lexus LS430 2003 and the dealer is asking for $999 down which I can do

Help a fellow clueless bro out? Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5625751121.html
orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5612272707.html
tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5594107142.html
fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/5640132705.html
archive.4plebs.org/o/search/username/Longpost+Guy/tripcode/!!9TEWI1TbGdH/type/op/page/1/
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14228818/#q14228818
miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5555719699.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sounds like a bhph lot. RUN.

I would never finance through an independent dealership.

If this is your first go-around, why not just buy a nice car with 100% cash?

Second of all, there's no shame in going in with someone experienced and having them do the negotiations.

Also, someone could point you to LPG's car buying posts.

Go on craigslist and buy a beater for 2grand, wait til you are out of mommy and daddys house and have a job before you worry about something nice. You will thank me later.

there's plenty of youtube guides, look for those

I would appreciate those guides

Thanks all for your replies, still reading and learning so all is welcome

Doing now

also, LS430 is a good choice for super comfy high end daily driver, should last you a long time too

look up service intervals for it, and get it serviced at a toyota dealer or specialized independent toyota shop, lexus is a high end toyota

I always thought that the LS430 looked kind of fat. Curves in all the wrong places and it looks like they made the passenger compartment 6" higher at the last minute.

Consider getting an LS400, they're a lot cheaper and they're practically indestructible.

I like the last gen LS400's and the first gen LS460, but the LS430 just looks bleh.

Seriously, you finance that 430 you're going to be stuck with a pile of shit. Indy lots buy cars at auction and then flip them under awful financing terms. Usually the down payment is what they paid for the car and anything else you pay is profit to them. And then they'll put black boxes in your car and shut off the ignition if you're a day late on a payment and will repo your car at the drop of a hat.

>buying a complicated luxobarge as a first car

Yeah, it's all good until you need to have something fixed, then the parts and labor will slay you financially.

Do yourself a favor and get a Celica or a Civic.

You like dis LS four thirddy, user? We finance! No creddit, no problem! Come to my desk and sign these papers bubby!

>rubs hands internally

OP here, adding that I'm actually going to be traveling long distance around the states which is why the LS430/LS400 appealed to me. I want to be as comfy as possible instead of driving in a total shitbox for long periods of time

That's fucked up. Do you recommend brand name dealers instead? I'm still checking on Craigslist

It's hilarious how they word for word say No Credit? NO PROBLEM in the listing

Brand name dealers are better, but they're still out to screw you. Depends on the dealer, check yelp and google for ratings.

For a comfy reliable long distance highway car get a 97-00 LS400, that way you get the vvti and the extra 40 hp. Before you buy, check for power ssteering leaks and see if the timing belt service is recently done. The LS400 is legendary for long life and reliability, and a clean one still gets compliments. At least my white over silver 00 LS platinum edition still does. Minty ones can be had for cheap.

I'm on my way to check out the LS400, pretty naive of me to seek the other shit knowing that there's a 97 LS400 with a million miles

I appreciate it

No problem. Avoid getting one with the navigation system, it is hard drive based and they stopped sending updates years ago. Also kind of steer clear of the Nakamichi system since Nak is out of business (although you could replace with used parts I guess). The Lexus premium sound package is made by Pioneer and is still supported. Do like I did and send out the head unit and have an Aux input installed, that way you can add bluetooth or just plug your phone in directly. Use a ground loop isolator to get rid of alternator buzz and you've basically got all the sound and nav features you need on your smartphone.

I seriously appreciate all the help. Didn't even know the company can do that. That was one of my worries since I love the Aux cord and use my phones gps through it. Thanks user

Np. One last thing, the Pioneer display sometimes has lcd segments that don't work, don't fret because you can buy a new display for about $100. I had mine done when they added the aux input. The company who does the work is called Factory Radio Service, google should find them.

You're a legend, I will do all the research when I get the car. How much did you pay for yours?

I bought mine 2 years ago, 125,000 miles, $5500. Timing belt was done a little late at 95k but whatever. Had a very slow p/s leak, cleared right up with some Lucas power steering stop leak and hasn't leaked since. Needed new tires but nbd. It's been problem free. They're great cars.

Oh, and it was (and still is) mint inside and out. Still smells pretty new inside, still blows my mind when I get in it.

sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5625751121.html

Nice, I bet if you waved $5500 cash at them they would take it.

Any of these in the Orlando/Tampa Bay Area? I really want one

>15291151
Not bad for $2500, worth a look

orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5612272707.html

tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5594107142.html

High miles but clean af. Worth a look too

fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/5640132705.html

A bit far but looks nice

Read the many archived used car salesman stories by Longpost Guy. He sold many used cars to make money while studying toward his masters degree in IT. In one of his threads, he posted an advice column of sorts of his recommendations for buying a used car.

archive.4plebs.org/o/search/username/Longpost+Guy/tripcode/!!9TEWI1TbGdH/type/op/page/1/

There are also some emotional stories of some fortunate or unfortunate car buyers. Yes, there are happy stories too. But here is one story of a spoiled young car owner. It isn't you, but it may be entertaining in an oblique way.

Make sure you read that part in one of the threads where Longpost Guy answers someone's question. He then follows up by posting his guide to buying a used car at a good price and not getting ripped.

miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5555719699.html

Last one, seems like it might be sketchy but low miles and low price might be worth a glance

Nice story. Instead of The Princess and the Pauper is a story of The Princess and her Corolla.

>ask for invoice price
>get it checked by a mechanic, make that two or three mechanics and not the seller's mechanic

Thanks!

Some mechanic examinations are cursory, so you have to beware of the shyster that only does an OBD2 and then pretends to tell you there is nothing wrong detected with the following systems:

1. a list here of all the systems for which no OBD2 warning was issued

The mechanic should check things like tie rods, suspension, and of course put the car up on a hoist to inspect underneath. He would pull a sample of oil from the oilpan and check the coolant in the radiator. He would look underneath for frame repair marks and signs that the body panels had been hammered out by paintless dent repair. The list of the many other inspectable issues not seen by OBD2 is huge. He would also open up and check the cylinders with a borescope camera. Even without the borescope (a basic one is cheap and a normal tool for professional mechanics) A lot can be told about the engine operating health from examination of the spark plugs.

People boldly tell lies all the time in order to make money off the innocent. It's too bad there was no penalty such as on the first occasion of lying in a business transaction, the perpetrator must have hands and feet cut off and a permanent mandatory one billion dollar per second court-ordered fine applied with the fine increasing by one billion every ten seconds thereafter. Failure to pay the fine is grounds for additional penalties. Since this is the minimum penalty, it would and should be considered to be highly merciful and representative of a system that showed compassion and tolerance for scamming instead of having zero tolerance.

Fucking savage

Op here, What do you guys think of this? "Linkage issue" is it an easy fix?

Found a 1998 near me and the guy is asking a ridiculously low $1,500 price so I'm naturally sketchy

What's savage is the large number of scammers on CL. They do it because they expect there cannot ever be any punishment for wrongdoing. When you have an environment where there cannot be punishment for doing bad things to other people, well, you know what is going to happen.

The fact that he's selling it instead of fixing it is concerning.

IDK, take it to a trans shop and have them check it before you buy. $1500 is pretty cheap....

Yeah I'm looking into it