Favourite Veeky Forums battles, Veeky Forums?

Favourite Veeky Forums battles, Veeky Forums?

Mine would be,

1. The Battle of Thermopylae
2. The Battle of the Catalaunian Plains
3. The Battle of Teutoberg Forest

All 3 changed the course and outcomes of not only their respective civilisations but all of history forever more. Were it not for Varus' blunder, the Holy Roman Empire as a fragmented standing state that it was may never have existed. Were it not for Atilla @ Catalaunia, the Maygars, Habsburgs, Hannover & Napolean may never have been a relevent existence to the timeline. Were it not for Spartan elite slaying hordes for days of Persian ants, we'd be sharing a dichotomy wolrd between the Mid & the Far east.

History starts at 10,000 BC.

eh-resources.org/timeline-prehistory/

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2813460761
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Solway_Moss
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Battle of ipsus

>Celtic Empire
What is this trash

>celtic empire

What does that have to do with the OP image?

>Celtic Empire

I love the battles of the early Roman Republic. They read like something out of fantasy novel. For example in the battle of Vesuvius the Roman commander Publius Decius Mus sacrificed himself by throwing himself at the enemy to ensure victory or during the battle of Ticinus where a 18 year old Scipio Africanus saved his father from death. All this while Rome was just another country in the Mediterranean fighting for its survival and one that major powers such as the Greeks payed little to no heed to. Rome started as a small village in Italy and would come to rule the world and found western civilization through bloodshed.

>The Battle of Thermopylae
xD

Hab you seen da secund moobie, i wuz better than furst.

I can't tell if you're legitimately retarded or if you're just pretending to be retarded cue the "consequences" you cite for them not matching up with the battles themselves.

I'm really hoping the latter, but I've seen enough stupid people to not be entirely sure.

To be fair, by the time of Ticinus, Rome was already a major power in the Mediterranean and had already been meddling in Gaul, Spain and Greece.
Personally im a fan of Cannae.

desu it almost certainly existed at one point, but balkanized and split apart over time.

Like the empire of the Khanate.

True. I suppose that after the Pyrrhic wars Rome became a major power in the Mediterranean when they defeated the closest there was to another Alexander.

The trojin war

still waiting for the damn second Mongol to come out.

imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2813460761

Given that "celtic" is defined not by a political structure, not by a single language, but by being part of a linguistic group and a common toolmaking culture, no, it fucking isn't.

You may as well talk about Mississippian empire, or the Polynesian Empire.

respect the doggerkun you mongoloid nip noodle heads floating spagetti worshippers.

One cannot go beyond the battle of Blenheim

Imagine,if you will waterloo in reverse
French on the highground
Brits need to cross swampland, a stream, reform and then march up the hill to fight a French army of veterans who outnumbered them-and win

This was the first defeat of a French army in 75 years,and broke the illusion of their invincibility

>Polynesian Empire

But that totally existed

>It was centered in Tonga on the island of Tongatapu with its capital at Muʻa. While modern researchers and cultural experts attest to widespread Tongan influence and evidence of transoceanic trade and exchange of material and non-material cultural artifacts, empirical evidence of a true political empire ruled for any length of time by successive rulers is lacking.

>>It was centered in Tonga on the island of Tongatapu with its capital at Muʻa. While modern researchers and cultural experts attest to widespread Tongan influence and evidence of transoceanic trade and exchange of material and non-material cultural artifacts, empirical evidence of a true political empire ruled for any length of time by successive rulers is lacking.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that these "modern researchers and cultural experts" are all white males with a vested interest in keeping us down.

>Battle of Teutoberg Forest
that's a terrible thing to say >:|

teuto for example was crucial to the continued and contended, competed for land between the ebre & the rhine. kept it germanic. rome never fully conquered the germs. disintergrated and collapsed later as it stood around in hopelessness of what nexts, overextention, collapse. roads are never built. succession is never ensured. take one look at a holy roman empire map. zero uniformity compared to other well trodden & marched sections of The Empire.

they couldnt beat the germs so they had to convert and come back a thousand years later with a zombie jew death cult and a thousand years of frankish hinge in the meantime

Kek those Celtic cities didn't even exist between 700 and 100 bc

Manzikert, duh.

Except after Teutoberg, Germanicus thoroughly wrecked Arminius and his allies. The reason why Germania wasn't annexed is that Tiberius was afraid of him getting too popular.

Well, that and it being a backwards shithole which generated no money and would cost a bitch and a half to actually run.

>thermopylae
>relevant
heh

Ok then, which battle of that war would you consider most relevant? Salamis?

Marathon imo is the best example, but it was during an earlier Persian expedition.

>favorite battles, Veeky Forums?
>mine are like the three most well known battles that everyone's discussed to death already

>What is this trash
The true successor to the Finnish Khanate.

Thermopylae was a Persian victory though, the Persians were defeated by the Athenians at Salamis.

And the Romans probably wouldn't have conquered Germania even without Teutoburg Forest.

>Top 3 meme battles of all time only normies would know about

Battle of Vienna
Great stand on the Ugra river
Battle of Kulikovo

Honorary mention: Case White.

Battle of Gettysburg

Battle of Waterloo

Battle of Stalingrad

>Thermopylae.
Yeah that's something that normie will know and wank about. Thanks Hollywood.

>Teutoberg
Most people won't know what that is. Only people who actually read history, or play Rome total war,
will know about Teutoberg.

>Catalaunian fields
You'd have to be a actual history buff to know about that.

Gallipoli, because seriously fuck Churchill

It's called Teutoburg, and it's the biggest meme battle among Germans and germboos.

>You'd have to be a actual history buff to know about the main battle of Attila the Hun
Not sure if bait.

Everything you said is so full of shit I'm sitting here at my desk and laughing.

The battle of Mylae, as it's one of the best and earliest examples of what really exemplifies the Romans: brutally efficient ingenuity combined with the ability to throw money at a problem until it works out.

>guys we managed to get into a naval war with THE naval power, what do?
>uhhh
>I got it:
>buy a bunch of greek boats, copy that Carthaginian boat that washed up, have our boys practice rowing on some benches for a while and jury rig a thing to nail the damn boats together so those puny Punics can't do that thing they do
>what, sail competently?
>that's the one

Not a buff, but you'd have to know your history. How many average people do you think know more about Attila than his name? Most probably don't where the Huns where from or when they were active

Good I hope you fucking bleed out you waste of biomass.

People know about Atilla as a barbarian warlord who ravaged Rome. They won't know about the battle that he lost.

>Come to a casual history discussion
>About the most casual history topic ever
>To tell people how casual their choices are

It's so casual it defies the said precedence of casuality.

People know about everything you said, none of those battles or events are remotely obscure at all here. Stop being a baby.

Teutoberg is a titanic meme blown up by 19th century German nationalists.

and because there was absolutely nothing marketable in Germannia that would justify the cost of conquest

Holy shit you're fucking retarded. Literally go up to a random person on a street or during a party and ask them what Teutoburg was. The majority of normal people could not answer such a question.

I really like the battle of Cannae. Not only is it one of the most magnificent BTFO-moments in history, it was in fact so decisive, that military officers have wanked over it ever since.

At the same time it also showed that fortitude on the battlefield is not enough to win a war. Exploiting the victory is at least as important as attaining it.

I learned about it in school. I also remember it from Age of Empires.

I heard the only battle that's considered tactically on the same level of tactical genius as Cannae is Austerlitz, but I don't know enough about it to judge for myself.

Holy shit, you are ignorant if you think the average person is that unaware of Roman history.

I'd say the Battle of Red Cliffs was pretty tactically one-sided too. But nobody cares about Naval battles or China, apparently.

Not him, but where do you live?
Here in America a lot of people have something of a cult of ignorance going on. They know Rome fell at some point, and maybe they've heard the Punic Wars or Teutoberg mentioned but the majority (not vast, but certainly a majority) of the people I work with certainly couldn't tell me much beyond that.

Anything that's not in the west is ignored.

Whether it's because lack of translations or whatever, it's still annoying as shit.

>waterloo in reverse

wouldn't the French win then?

I live in the US, DC area and people aren't that stupid.

>Wizna
>Austerlitz
>Zama

Do you live in the good side of DC or the bad side? Because I find that people living in the nice area rarely venture out of it.

t. Baltimorean who works with a mixed bag of people of all classes

You also have the problem that sea battles pose fundamentally different strategic and tactical problems than land engagements. And the battle of Chibi was partly decided by pre-battle ruses and disinformation, while Cannae was a straight-up fight that was decided by Hannibal's superior tactical ability.

But yes, I do feel like Chinese history is somewhat under-represented around here.

> empire
A funny way to spell cavemen in mudhuts

Different strategic and tactical problems still means that strategy and tactics are at play. Also, pre-battle ruses and disinformation are perfectly valid options. In fact, I consider them a sort of tactic in and of themselves. There is more to tactics than just positioning your army in a particular manner in order to take advantage of things like terrain, your enemies behavior, etc.

>who outnumbered them
>52 000 Grand Alliance vs 56 000 French

Not exactly Waterloo, where 73 000 French were facing 118 000 Allies.

I don't live in Southeast side DC, so I'm fine.

Cannae was pretty brutal, but I find Trebia to be criminally underrated.

>the implication that the roman empire was undivided until 410

Battle of Hampton Roads hands down

The allies had 68000 on the high ground at Waterloo and only 30000 were veteran soldiers.

if god wanted the Celtic empire to succeed then it would not have flooded....!!!!!!.....!!!

Platea was the most important battle of all the ones fought during the Persian invasions. Marathon and Thermoplyae simply delayed the Persians rather than decisively defeating them, and as important as Salamis was, it was a naval battle and therefore of secondary importance.

It's over Napoleon, I have the high ground

Does the Battle of France count even though it was a campaign, specifically I think Sedan gets forgotten all too readily.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Solway_Moss

So who was the Celtic Emporer?

Brennus

Catalunian Plains for me too OP.

>Western Roman Empire literally on the edge of falling apart
>half of the foederati in Roman territory acting independently
>Aetius trying to hold shit together
>the Huns are such a deadly threat that a bunch of refugee snowniggers join together with the remnants of the Roman army to fight the save the civilized world
>king of the Visigoths gives his life in the battle
>Attila "I didn't want to conquer Gaul anyway" the Hun retreats back into the barbaricum

and the name, its something straight from a fantasy novel.

The Battle of the Catalaunian Plains

I love how butthurt some Hanniboo historians get when referring to the battle of Zama by saying Hannibal had an army full of new recruits when really the tide was considered to be at the very least equal.
And because it ended up becoming a Carthaginian cannae

Guadalcanal desu. America got their wake-up call and Aussies and Kiwis were saved. Honestly, I can't even imagine sitting on the line on Guadal. Firing your .30 cal non-stop and the Japs just keep on coming so you keep on shooting and they just keep on coming out of the jungle like a god damned nightmare.

It almost certainly lived on in the legends and myths of the tribes for centuries after.

1. Stalingrad

2. Battle of Canne

3. Waterloo

Battle of Zenta

Ottomans got BTFO