Hey Veeky Forums. My girlfriend got in an accident the other day...

Hey Veeky Forums. My girlfriend got in an accident the other day. She rear ended someone and it was clearly her fault which isn't what I'm worried about. She told me that none of the airbags deployed on impact which startled me. Is this damage enough to deploy airbags? Should I contact Volkswagen?

I'm not sure airbags are supposed to deploy for anything else but major frontal impact, but then agian my guess is as good as anyone's.

Crumple zones exist so the force of the accident is dissipated without the use of an explosive to the face. Imo that's not an accident worthy of airbag deployment.

Since it mostly ripped shit away, instead of impacting straight up, I'd say it should be fine that they didn't deploy.

It's on the passenger side, no one was sitting there of course it didn't go off.

I kind of thought of that too. But it was on the freeway so even though she hit the breaks she was probably still going relatively fast.

>none of the airbags deployed
You lucked out.

> no one was sitting there of course it didn't go off.

What?
Do you think the car magically knows if somebody is riding in the passenger seat or not?

I've driven a few cars that had a no-seatbelt-alarm when someone was in the seat, but obviously not when there wasn't anyone.

Yes, my car has a light that tells me the passenger side airbag is off, if I sit on it the light goes off.
You're an idiot if you think technology hasn't advanced this far.

What happens if your passenger is a very small, lithe person that does not trigger the sensors that make the car know he/she is in the passenger seat?

My car does.

Uhhhh I believe there are sensors for that

The sensors aren't that shit, simple. They detect children, for fucks sake.

>desperate to find reasons to sue the manufacturer for a quick payout
People like this make me sick.

My car detects if I put an above average size grocery bag on the passenger seat...

Mercedes tech here.

The SRS module on our vehicles takes into account MANY sensory inputs in order to make the decision to deploy or not deploy various airbags, seatbelt tensioners, etc.

Accelerometers, yaw sensors, wheel speed sensors, brake pedal and accelerator positions, steering angle... the list goes on.

If ANY of these sensor inputs are missing or don't make sense in the given circumstance, the driver is immediately warned of an SRS failure, and to immediately bring the vehicle in for service. The entire dash turns bright red.

VW likely has very similar programming.

So it's likely that your girlfriend wasn't travelling at sufficient speed to warrant deployment of the SRS systems.

Like I said, if there was ANYTHING even remotely amiss with the SRS system, the vehicle should warn you before you even got out of the driveway.

>Do you think the car magically knows if somebody is riding in the passenger seat or not?
My car senses passengers and puts up the seatbelt light if front or rear passengers don't have belts on. I've put some mild weights on the front seat like briefcase and the sensors don't come on. The car also has a display indicating when passenger airbags are off.

There is no need to fire off all of the expensive airbags if there are no passengers. The newer cars have varying degrees of this type of sensing. Some will not fire the front passenger but will fire the rear bags because they have no rear passenger sensors. If your car is like that, complain to your manufacturer that sensors should be available for all seats to prevent expensive airbag waste.

yes. it magically knows via a sensor in the seat. its standard on newer cars

did she get hurt? no, right?

then you don't need to contact VW. airbags generally look for an impact that causes a sudden stop even momentarily. your accident does not look like that kind of situation.

>She told me that none of the airbags deployed on impact which startled me. Is this damage enough to deploy airbags?

If you are comparing the experience to other situations where airbags did deploy for some cars, please be advised that in the past, some car makers had issued recalls for where the airbag sensors were too sensitive.

>women drivers

Usually airbag sensors are in the bumper, which looks like it just got scraped - so it's probably fine

If there's an insurance payout you should take it and replace everything yourself with junkyard parts - that looks new enough that paint fade shouldn't be a big problem

You stop being a pedo

She crashed and then took vertical pic.

You should dump her.

I have a 2015 GLI. My sensor detected a half gallon of milk once.

I also can't plug my phone in and set it on the passenger seat because it thinks it's a person. Something to do with EFI.

>mfw driving around with a buckled in half gallon of milk

>EFI
No, not fuel injection. RFI.

If all the airbag sensory inputs could be quantified into a single sensor, that sensor would be named "Manufacturer Wants You To Buy Another New Car" sensor. Each time you touch it, it is time to buy a new car which pleases the manufacturer.

I understand there is a need for airbags. But in the great majority of cases, they are not necessary. It's too bad the airbag deployment is a "desirable" solution of throwing out the baby with the bath water.

She should count her lucky stars they didn't go off, didn't cost her an extra couple of thousand, and didn't break her nose while burning her hair and eyebrows off, and pushing her front teeth down her throat.

IT'S MAGIC
lol kids

Lmao poorfag

Tow truck op here. I've seen worst that don't deploy.

If you intend to fix it, your safest bet is to disconnect the battery right now and have it towed to a body shop or wherever you want to do. This way its not being driven over bumps and shit, because there might be a sensor that's close to something or is damaged or something fucking stupid that could cause an airbag to deploy when you touch a pothole. At least with it disconnected, you can reconnect it at the body shop and drive it on their, probably much smoother, parking lot. Plus it'll be one of their techs moving it, and they'll look and make sure its not going to go off or anything.

How about you take a trip to the local volkswagen dealer and ask them. Like some weeb bus riders are going to be able to tell you. Fuck youre stupid what a useless thread

Wew lad

This is on purpose. Anyone not big enough to trigger the sensor either would be killed by the airbag or atleast be worse off than if it simply didn't go off.

It's called occupant detection system, you thick headed fuck. Of course it knows if someone is sitting in the passenger seat.

>The newer cars have varying degrees of this type of sensing. Some will not fire the front passenger but will fire the rear bags because they have no rear passenger sensors. If your car is like that, complain to your manufacturer that sensors should be available for all seats to prevent expensive airbag waste.

It's more a matter of lawsuits. It took a long time even for the front passenger seat to get a seat sensor that turned off the front airbags because the manufacturer was probably worried about safety lawsuits. When adding or turning off features, there are lawyers or customers that look at each feature as an opportunity to make money. It similar to people who might have an accident at home cutting their hand open, then they rush to a store and claim they got that injury from a broken glass bottle there (they break a bottle) and sue for money.

So, it'll probably take even longer for the rear seat sensors for some manufacturers since they'll wait for the other more daring manufacturers to get and defeat (or lose) a few multimillion dollar lawsuits for the rear airbag seat sensors. After the lawsuits re-define the landscape as to what sensor methods are legally safe to use, they'll put them in. So, those people who say lawuits improve safety devices may have a point, but they also significantly delay adding devices by the more cautious manufactuers to all their vehicles.

Does she sucks dick? This is very important for the SRS system on your car

>All these deleted posts
Is OP a faggot?

>VW
That kinda goes without saying.

Hey Veeky Forums. My girlfriend got in an accident the other day. She rear ended someone and it was clearly her fault which isn't what I'm worried about. She told me that none of the airbags deployed on impact which startled me. Is this damage enough to deploy airbags? Should I contact Audi?

lol she drives a cuck wagon