Is it just me or were cars from 50-60 years ago all absolutely gorgeous? What happened

Is it just me or were cars from 50-60 years ago all absolutely gorgeous? What happened

nah

those cars are hideous and tacky

it's just you. people only bothered to save the good-looking ones.

>what happened
evolving tastes in art and culture

aka no one has any taste and our culture is a nanny culture.

But I think almost every car in street photos taken in the 50s and 60s looks great

then you just wear rose tinted glasses or have eye problems

well okay

Auto makers got away with making very ornate body styles due to less strict safety regulations.

Box shaped cars happened in the 70s and 80s. I personally blame GM for the decline in car design.

Except it happened on other continents too. In fact, they probably influenced GM.

The style then was boaty cars with V8s. They also added the space race thing with the fins and decorative chromed bodies.
I don't see how the body styles are a danger themselves.
Better than the gook mobiles you see on the road today. Pic related. I feel like automakers want their cars to look Transformers.

that looks leagues better tho

then you have abominations like this

>I don't see how the body styles are a danger themselves.

The body style plays a huge role in the vehicle's structural integrity during a crash. A big reason why you get a nice panoramic cab in classic cars and big a-pillar posts in modern cars. While less visually attractive, it's much safer. I could list another dozen changes.

That and vehicles are now more aerodynamic. We mostly see "wind tunnel designs" in most new cars.

Pointy hood ornaments, massive bumpers, and protruding fascia is more likely to kill someone when they are hit with a car instead of being caressed by smooth modern designs...

I'm being sarcastic, of course. I miss pop up headlights.

this desu

A lot of them do look gorgeous, yeah. A lot of anons on Veeky Forums won't admit it a lot of times because they hate boomers, but many are indeed good looking.

What changed? It relates to a combination of aerodynamics, safety, fuel economy, weight, and changes in fashion.

It also boils down to personal taste. I personally love the boxy designs of the 80s, but lots of people think they're ugly nowadays. Things and people just change over time, user.

> I was born in the wrong era and only listen to my dad's old rock music.

crash safety, pedestrian safety, aerodynamics, stuff like that.

New cars are designed to crumple. The shapes of the bodies themselves don't play the biggest role in that, rather how well the material crumples in a crash.
>aerodynamics
That has to do with safety how?
Also, when a car is going fast, the shape of the car really isn't the number one thing that's killing the pedestrians.
You could argue that the newer models carry less momentum and can stop faster.

>What happened?
Do you even study history? At all?

Pushes for safety, and a couple of major oil price hikes.
Fuel is no longer cheap. Cars have to be safe, and fuel efficient, and not handle like a sailboat, and stop in less than a mile from 40MPH.

because style has become something unknown.

i love all cars till the 80's, then they start to get wonky. my favorite year of cars is the 30's. tough they have become (sadly) severely outdated for everyday use now. so i bought myself a '54 ford prefect. they're just perfect.

pic related my current (project) car.

>tfw inline 8 engines

This engine, which I think was made by Duesenberg, was an inline 8 engine with DOHC in the 30's and produced somewhere along 230hp

beautiful.

Gorgeous automobiles are still on the road.

sad thing is that its the best looking vehicle posted itt

see? y'all mofo's forgot what style is.

but that looks terribly tacky and cartoonish

That car is fuckin fine, dude whut

nah OP they look lik shit

you should stop being one of those >le born in le wrong era faggots

the 50s was like the ugliest decade of cars only rivaled by the 80s

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

r*ported for beinga castrated furfaggot

Looks like it belongs on Nuketown with the other generic
classic cars

>80's
>bad

stop being a fucking shit-taste pleb

stance is for cucks btw

>liking 80's "style"

>likes the 80s

fucking middleschool cringelords

Kavinsky is shit and so is you aesthetic meme

It is.

There are only a few 20+ years old cars that doesn't look crap.

enjoy your shit-taste

good thing in not one of those synth-wave cucks

80's design is still one of the best, of course you are a pleb and think 80's=wedge

that looks terrible

like a car I would draw when I was 5

I swear no car company had designers in the 80s

don't kid yourself kid, you were eating your own snot when you were 5

hhhnnggggg

im serious tho

its literally a pencil and ruler design

its shit

hnnnnnngggggg

>im a retard

ok kid

nice 70s car

how nice of you to point out your mental handicap to all of us too

user, I absolutely love 80s cars, pic related will hopefully soon be the best thing I'll ever get in my lifetime, but as far as all the engineering progresses in the era might dazzle us, we really need to come in terms with it: almost every car back then was conceived privileging utilitarianism and cheapness over any sort of elegance.

Unfortunately does have a point, car companies stopped having designers designers when the late 70s came along, mostly as a consequence of the 1973 oil crisis. It was only during the 90s when some manufacturers had an epiphany and realized building vehicles with a purely utilitarian body was ridiculously dull, which is what brings us to the sort of neoclassic renaissance we're getting in car design with the recurrence to curves, detailed grills, window trims and all those neat design features that were discarded when necessity took over form.

The eighties was an amazing year in car history because of all the new Nippon technology and its effect on the rest of the world, not because of the designs. The designs were dogshit.

>1985

it must suck to be as retarded as you

platinum retarded

yes, i know you are kid

one day you'll learn 80's doesnt equal wedge shape

You are very dumb to think that you can't have 50's styling in todays motors. name 1 thing on the exterior that you can't have from a 1950's car and I will bring up a car/truck made in the last 6 years that features it, there have been pillarless trucks, steel bumpers? yeah look at new trucks each bumper costs 2 grand to replace, all chrome more chrome than a base model 50's cars in those bumpers alone. spot lights? unity is still manufacturing spots for a lot of makes and models there is nothing on the exterior that can't be done today but too many people care about electronics to fit them into the affordability

I never even stated that

how stupid are you to keep posting 70s designs and calling them 80s

is that a batmobile

Tail fins?

close enough xd

i hope you realize that most early 80's cars are still following late 80's design trends, and often started production In the late 70's

look at these pillars. look how thin they are. You cant have thin A pillars today, particularly. and thin B pillars, (or lack thereof) is very rare, also because "muh safety", and usually exclusive to luxury coupes

front bumper are in plastics now so that kinda helps

what's the engine a straight 48 ?

I meant late 70's, fuck me.

12 liter straight 8, actually.

>You could argue that the newer models carry less momentum and can stop faster.
Momentum is directly related to mass. New cars are pig fat.

oh i guess that makes sense then
but the driver could have windscreen thought

pfft, windscreens are for pussies, who needs em when you have driving goggles

heheh very true xd

but these cars have windshields. in that pic there is one too, just look closely.

>xd
you need to stop

nah

It's just you

It does, but my point is that if new cars had the same look to them as old cars, but made with newer standards, I don't see how they would be significantly more dangerous.

Back in the day of customized coaches, cars could look beautiful.

Just out of curiousity, what is your opinion of a good looking car?
I personally thing pic related looks tacky.

This design perfectly captures the essence of the simple working-class man. I love it.

raise it 4 inches and it looks perfect.

that crank shaft must suffer so fucking much

Except for the tacky rim, the chin spoiler, and the roll cage.
Bet then it would look nice.

Step aside plebs.

Curves were a mistake

Pro touring builds can often look a bit tacky, yes. But I disagree that it's a bad-looking car; the lines of the first gen Camaro are great.

I feel similarly about the E30, I think.

christ you are literally retarded.

safety regs and other gay shit

cars from the 50s were basic as fuck with really boring body lines and super simpleton doors and hoods

Yeah nothing like today's cars.

That car look ugly..

Almost like what an ugly 1980s sedan would look like with a little bit of chrome on it.

yeah thats tacky as hell

heres a good looking car

>liking old cars when this exists

You're wrong. They handle like shit, terrible mpg, no modern features.

A honda civic is better in nearly every aspect

Well no shit because they weren't made like that. At the time cars were all about ride quality and design, which are the characteristics that make them great

What is this? Dat aesthetic

No there were a lot of ugly cars back then. Mainly from septics.

Hideous isn't it. all those different angles that don't match up when they could do so easily.

they all look like shit and ride like a bouncy cloud

You can't even type properly, and you think you can debate engineering?

You're a moron. I'm not taking your bait.

One day I will buy an Edsel in this exact color scheme

>were cars from 50-60 years ago all absolutely gorgeous
I used to think so. sometimes I still feel a wave of nostalgia for them. but mostly not anymore.
Part of what i don't like about some of them is that for as fucking huge as they are, the interior doesnt seem that roomy

The rims, yeah, but the splitter fits just fine. Roll cages are never bad as long as they're built properly.