Veeky Forums discourages buying new cars

>Veeky Forums discourages buying new cars
>claims "muh feels", "they don't make em like they used to", etc.
>the majority of posters here have old shitboxes from the 90s
Do you guys look down on buying new because you guys are all poor?

Dont want boat size. Need thin light car not a tank.

Some old cars cost way more than new ones. Just saying.

You definitely should buy a new car, just avoid the corvette. Unless you want to be slower.

Do you really even need to ask.. isn't it obvious? The majority of people here unironically watch shit like haggard garage and ricer miata.

coming here to ask about something made in the last few years you might as well be asking about taxes on a deeded easement to your property.

>Do you guys look down on buying new because you guys are all poor?

>hitting_the_nail_on_the_head.jpg

WE JUST went over this. The corvette is faster. period.

What's the purpose of buying new when the used car market is so strong? 350z, s4, s2000, c5 vette, m3/335i/135i, for under 14k

>we just went over this
And you JUST got BTFO. Deal with it, cuck.

Why would you buy someone else's old sports car that will undoubtedly have problems when you can buy a new car for the same price that is a clean slate (no shady history), no prior owners, won't need major repairs within the next couple of years, and under warranty?

>used car market is so strong?
what does this even mean.
you just posted a bunch of slow cars except for the bmws which are rarely under 14k, not the e92 m3 or a decent 335i

>cherry picking lap times that are convenient for you

If they are so fast why did they get BTFO by a V6 at Le Mans?

Okay kiddy, go buy that piece of shit frs your heart desires

>this assmad
BTFO!!!
kek, gm BTFO yet AGAIN

>Do you guys look down on buying new because you guys are all poor?
No. It is is because I like good design, and minimalism. Last job I had I was earning 80k a year, could have easily bought something new. Drove plenty of new cars, because old cars are a pain to own. Problem is new cars are so shit to drive I rather have an old car with its problems

For example:
>Drove an E36 M3, has the bare bones of what I would want to live with. Perfect minimalism.
>Drove an E46 M3, it is everything I want, nothing I don't. Perfect package.
>Drove a E92 M3, lots of stuff I want, but then lots of stuff I don't want. Tons of concessions made in daily experience for features I don't want.

Cars hit a peak in the 90s. New cars are literately the same as 90s cars but with lots of mission creep bloat. Now we can't have lightweight cars with good visibility because of safety. We can't have cars that are easy to work on because of emissions. We can't have cars that are durable because trying to fit all this sophistication in necessitates cars be built cheaper.

My R33 GTR cost $20k to buy and i've spent $10k on it so far.

I could have bought any number of modern shitboxes, but they're all shit so i didn't.

most of the new cars people want are in the price range of awesome cars from 10 years ago.

I'm sure you let Tyrone do all the work on your wife too

>all these cuck fantasy projections stemming from resentment you're alone and can't afford a new car

>Look I bought a FRS
>IT'S a SPORTS CAR

This.
There are like 3 sports cars being produced today that are within a doable price range of a young professional/enthusiast. 370z, gt86/brz, and the mx5.
If people want variety they have to look backwards.

>mx5
>professional/enthusiast
maybe professional hairdressers

Regardless, it's sporty and in the price range. There are no other nip cars on the market that compete with those 3 rather boring choices. 370z ain't bad, but it's a little ugly and pigfat. The others are plain trash.
Also
>The new wrxcamry doesn't count anymore

>it's sporty and in the price range
literally every " hot hatch"

Wanna know how I know you're a newfag?

>new car
>for the same price as used
Pick one

There's a difference between a failed sportscar and 'sporty' cars

>it's sporty
that's all that was said

Paying more than $5000 for a car is pretty stupid though.

Why spend $27,000 for a new Miata when my 25 year old $3000 Miata does the same thing in a lighter, cheaper to insure, cheaper to maintain package?

If I was rich I would have a fleet of new and old cars
But since I'm broke I am forced to decide
I would rather get this than any new car
I tend to like older cars more than I like newer cars
That's my take

I'd buy an s-FR new.

i'm not poor, made over $100000 last year

i just don't like to literally throw money away

because some people aren't poorfags

>muh 6 (six) figures

sure :^)

Making 6 figures isn't that hard user. I'm not that guy, but I've been making over 100k since I was 24. I'm an ICU nurse.

I just recently bought my first new car. It's nice buying something exactly the way you want it, and knowing the full history, but new cars have too much technology in them. I love my car, but I will always have an older project too. 90s cars are where it's at.

>spending money you don't have to just because you can

For the price of a ZN6 I could buy 3 JZX100s producing over 200hp each

>looks at pic
Damn that kid theory is shit we all know that the only genre of music that makes you go faster is Eurobeat

Yes.

Because if money was no object, any modern, brand-new vehicle can be bought and modified to be each of our own "perfect" cars with performance and safety far surpassing any old shitbox.

95% of Veeky Forums are literally rats scrounging for scraps, both in the literal sense of buying shit cars and in the socio-economical sense in that they cannot even PERCEIVE that their biases and desires are limited by their low income. They know they will never afford a car in the *GASP* 10s or even 100s of thousands of dollars! So they have the justify not ever owning a Jaguar F-TYPE SVR or a Porsche Cayman GT4 or a GT350R or even a new 370z NISMO.

By only stripping weight (can easily get to sub 3000 lbs), a new 370z NISMO by far surpasses a Miata, FR-SLOW, old Foxbody, FF car, etc. in all of Veeky Forums's checkbox of needs to be light, fast, powerful, well-balanced etc.

Yet the fags will come out with a LIGHT MIATA WITH A BOLT ON BRO
>Nice 4 cylinder "sports car"

MUH OLD AMERICAN V-8 SHITS ON YOUR V-6
>Nice 150hp and 10mpg

Read again: If money was not a concern, you would all buy brand spanking new cars and mod them to your delight (excluding rares/classics so shut the fuck up)

Pic related, an old car worth keeping around. Keep justifying your absolutely worthless throwaway shitboxes leftovers from people more well-off than you

Yep, you just summed up Veeky Forums's logic in a few short steps.

'I can't afford a new car, so I'll shit over them instead'.

>ICU nurse
>spent close to a decade in school
>spends more than fifty hours a week at a job
>make six figures and literally never have the time to spend it, must pay large debts (though that will pay off in the long run)
If it weren't for your inevitable stress from overwork, I'd consider a job like yours.
I can handle being poor. Time to myself is more important to me than money. Just clock my 9-5 in, and give me enough to afford a classic car and house. Also a job that won't make me go postal. That's all I want.
Being rich, and caring about wealth, is a fucking rat race. I really feel sorry for you, caught up in the pursuit of wealth for wealth's sake. Unless you genuinely enjoy being a nurse and helping people. If that's the case, you deserve your 100k.

not him but i make 100k+ and only work 6 months a year

i also drive cheap old cars and live in a rent controlled aparment because i like traveling, boats and motorcycles more than anything

I want a MK3 Supra.

most accurate post ITT.

new cars are shit because they have too much unnecessary safety bullshit making them heavy and ugly, and numb to drive thanks to CAFE.

What if they said the same thing when your god machine first came out. "You should never buy this crazy new thing called a miata, you should only ever buy 1970s v8 muscle cars" we would be in the present without your cheap fun car because cars died out from no one ever buying them and supporting the car industry

>ICU nurse
>spent close to a decade in school
4 years. 2 years for prereqs, 2 for the program.
>spends more than fifty hours a week at a job
3 12s, 36 hours a week.
>make six figures and literally never have the time to spend it, must pay large debts (though that will pay off in the long run)
If it weren't for your inevitable stress from overwork, I'd consider a job like yours.
I can handle being poor. Time to myself is more important to me than money. Just clock my 9-5 in, and give me enough to afford a classic car and house. Also a job that won't make me go postal. That's all I want.

I went to community college, so no debt. I own a house and 4 cars. I have 4 days off a week. Plenty of time to enjoy my projects. Are you making all this stuff up?

>Being rich, and caring about wealth, is a fucking rat race. I really feel sorry for you, caught up in the pursuit of wealth for wealth's sake. Unless you genuinely enjoy being a nurse and helping people. If that's the case, you deserve your 100k

Spoken like a true poor person. What if I told you that making more money actually makes life easier and more enjoyable?

>Spoken like a true poor person. What if I told you that making more money actually makes life easier and more enjoyable?
"You cant buy happiness" is the biggest load of shit poor people spout

I suppose, a new car is $30k. I can build a great car for $10k, , spend $10k on a used mill, lathe, and welding setup, and put the last $10k towards a house with a big garage.

>$10k towards a house with a big garage

Where are houses with big garages this cheap?

We actually did say the same thing in the 80s and 90s. We desired muscle cars from the 60s highly, because the oil crisis fucking murdered the American v8 in the 70s, and the 80s cars weren't old enough for nostalgia. And the emissions also killed everything fun in the 80s.

Cars like the RX7, Celica, Miata, S13, survived because they were cheap, fun, alternatives to classic cars that were expensive due to the fuel consumption. They existed in niche crowds, mostly, and people who bought regular cars that happened to be sporty. And people who were willing to pay a little more for Japanese reliability. Bikes also became a little more popular due to bikes getting their shit together, and being more accessible as custom vehicle platforms.

>supporting the car industry
No one is entitled to my money. Least of all, car companies that don't make cars relevant to me. Gimme something fun, something light, and in a sedan/coupe format. And cheap. Something like a BRZ.

I never saw the need for expensive euroshit after I came to the age of reason. I have the skills to take a relatively cheap car, and build it to do laps around expensive cars.

Money's effect on your happiness has a diminishing return after 80 grand per year. Once you've got the hierarchy of needs fulfilled, it becomes less important.
Good for you. Go keep up with the Joneses. Consume, reproduce, and die.

>I have the skills to take a relatively cheap car, and build it to do laps around expensive cars.

Wanna be my bf?

This. Veeky Forums will be all over the toyobaru in 15-20years when they cost 5k and the miatas you know and love are all fucking dead and the ones that arent are 40k because "no tire kickers. i know what i got". People that buy new cars pave the way for poorfags later on

Speak for yourself faggot. Give me $200,000 a year and ill suck a niggers dick with a smile on my face daily

>tfw wasn't born in the early 80s so I can enjoy 80s and 90s cars as a teenager
>born in the age where cars will soon stop to be fun forever
>electrical cars
>all automatics
>old fun cars getting banned
>old fun cars disappearing slowly
>google making self driven cars for retards
>ugly, round, and fat boring cars with everything electrical in them
>can't even have an analog gauge anymore

I want to kill myself and wake up as a character in the 1st season of Initial D.

If I won a billion dollars tomorrow, the first thing I would buy would be a diesel 5 series fresh off the lot, with every option and every warranty they have to sell

Then I would buy a fuck ton of shitboxes, and primarily use my brand new BMW as a parts/grocery getter.

Fuck, right?

>Kill self
>Wake up as Itsuki

>car is an '09
>no electronic aides
>manual
>weighs less than 2600lbs

>has a few great friends
>owns a nice car
>enjoys his life, even if he isn't the hero

I don't think that'd be so bad senpai

>Good for you. Go keep up with the Joneses. Consume, reproduce, and die.

Thanks m8. I'll be over here enjoying my life to the fullest, traveling the world, eating good food, and enjoying my cars.

We're not talking about hyundais, we're talking about sports cars.

>hangs with bros every day
>making his own money at a job he likes
>buying his own car
>has a qt drooling over his huge fat dick
>can learn a lot about driving and cars from real bros 4 lyfe

No regrets.

I just leased a wrx because I'm tired of having to fix and/or pay to fix used cars. I don't have time anymore to fuck around with that kind of bullshit. I'd rather have fun driving than sweating my ass off in the garage all day.

Enjoy your turbo Camry you fucking pussy.

>FF

Both online and RL the people I always hear bashing new vehicles are the ones that can't afford them. These are also the same people having to fix their shit almost weekly which often actually costs more then simply leasing or financing something new

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 and my neighbour with a 90s Ram 2500 is always going on about how shitty new trucks are. in the year he's had it he's put over $7000 into it on top of the $5700 he paid. I've yet to put a fucking cent into my truck and I don't expect to by the time I trade it

Good news guys, we still have safe haven in New Zealand for now.

>buying any year of Ram
You guys are both retarded.

>we just went over this
Nope

>buy a 2005 year car roughly 2 years ago...

aside from regular maintenance like oil changes, fluids, Black Iceā„¢, car cash materials, etc...
all I've spent on it was:

>$120 for a couple new brake disks
>~$30 A/C leak - O-rings and Freon
>$8 on white LEDs for interior

If you take care of your car and do research on it, I don't see why buying used isn't the cheapest option...

That said, I did consider buying a new car for a time, but it just didn't make sense to buy one and have it lose so much value when I left the lot...

>too poor
Nearly any retard who doesn't have nigger-tier credit can afford a new shitbox if they really want to have one.

For people who care about driving and can deal with the occasional inconvenience in servicing a used car, there is generally more driving enjoyment to be had in buying used for a given amount of money. That's all.

>literally rats
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I make six figures and I don't but a new car because they are a money pit. You lose a shitload of money as soon as you buy it. Let someone else eat that initial depreciation. I just bought a 2005 LeSabre as a daily driver. $5500, completely loaded, 45k miles. People who actually have a bit of money aren't determined to prove it.

Go on Craigslist and try to find a clean evo or s2000. You are going to pay close to 20k. Those cars were only 30k new and they are 10 years old now. Sometimes buying new isn't a bad decision.

"Sometimes" is right, but if you buy something like...
...it really isn't

And those cars will continue to depreciate in value until they're nearly thirty years old. Classic car territory.
The trick is to buy a car when it's at the absolute rock bottom, then make it an excellent example. Sometimes this means a numbers-matching restoration. Sometimes this means an updated restomod. It depends on the potential value of the car, and how much you're willing to spend.

Honestly, people shouldn't be looking at cars outside of really rare collectibles, as an investment. You will always lose money on a car. Stocks have a much better return for your money. Antique militaria and expensive things (clocks, fine furniture), are much better investments. Antiques can literally only ever go up in value. Stocks are less stable, but wise investment yields great returns.

Cars will always lose value. Your classic, your somewhat expensive new car, your fucking Lamborghini, will always lose value. Hell, people couldn't sell Countaches for anywhere close their original value, until the kids who lusted after them grew up.

So the best bet with a fun car is to buy something cheap and turn it into a hoon machine.

Cars today are either complete shit or completely overpriced. I'm hoping the SFR gets made because it's all I really want in a car -- a presumably reliable non-pigfat RWD manual low powered high mpg shitbox that doesn't cost $30k like a fucking miata does.

But it won't come to market because there is no market for it. """""true""""" car enthusiasts who think manual transmissions are the best transmissions and that RWD is way better than AWD and FWD are a dying breed.

ive spent more on cars this year than most of you make

Good news for you, because your country doesn't allow any outsiders in.

You're not just feeding the troll,you're serving him a fucking dinner,you're even putting a damn bib on him

I had a 2010 mustang gt and it was the biggest cunt to work on. I'd rather pour my time and parts money into my ratty old foxbody, which is very easy to work on, and just keep the new car stock.

>towards
Can you read?

say what you want but SF-R is really fugly even by toyota standards

But I don't drive a Hyundai, and there was no mention of sports cars in the post I replied to.

Go project somewhere else.

They depreciate at an extremely low rate.

You're telling me it's better to buy a 10 year old sti for 20k than it would be to buy it new for 30k, drive it for ten years, and then sell it?

I'm telling you two things. It would be better to buy a nearly thirty year old sti at 5k or less, fix up any gremlins, and then sell it to a nostalgic person who wants a childhood favorite car without working on it.

I'm also telling you that buying cars with the intent to resell is dumb, since if you were truly concerned about retaining your money, you would find other investments. Buying the new sti and driving it for ten years will cause you to dump money into it. Fixing it up and so on. You spent 30k on a car, you'll spend more after the warranty is done, and then you'll sell it at 20k ten years down the road, by your example. You lost 20k off the bat, and then you also lost the price difference in parts and possibly labour.

Just buy some stocks and drive a shitbox.

>lost 20k off the bat
Yeah, I meant 10k. I made a typo.

I'm not talking about buying cars to resell them, I'm talking about buying the car you want, and taking care of it, instead of buying some 4th owner car 10 years down the road.

A brand new car is going to need very little maintenance over the first 10 years (unless you neglect it).

Cars are rarely a good investment, I get that. That includes buying shit boxes and putting money into modifying them.

All I'm saying is that if you have the money, and plan on keeping a car for a really long time, buying new is not always a mistake.

What do you drive then? Let me guess, I fiesta? There will always be cheap shitboxes that are lightweight. People want good cars that don't have a lot of tech and pigfat. That is truly hard to find these days.

I will, I even got the cvt :^)

I'm an Ameribro, so no not a Fiesta. They didn't make it here until '11, and ABS/TCS/ASM were standardized in NA in 2010. It is a Focus though, '09 is the last year before they went to EPS as well. I bought it new during C4C. I traded in my '95 Town Car with almost 300k miles on it for $4500 and got $2500 off in other rebates so I got a 17k car for 10k. Not horrible considering dealers still try to sell them for 8k. In the 7 years/156k I've had it I've only had to replace one sway bar endlink, the brakes and the battery.

>only weighs 8lbs more than a Fiesta
>has 23hp and 24lb ft more torque(20% more power and torque) so it's noticeably quicker than a fiesta
>controlblade>torsion beam
>more interior room

Safety standards have been to blame for bloating for years. Also not all tech is bad, I have sync in my car and while it adds maybe a couple of ounces between the APIM and mic, it's easily worth not having to fuck with my phone while driving.

Another thing, I think you're having a hard time deciphering the difference between shitbox and econobox.

A '90s Honda with faded clear, a rotted exhaust, fender rust, egay coilovers, fartcan and 7 POs that smoked is a shitbox.

A compact that has bluetooth, usb, aux, leather wrapped wheel, cruise, audtio controls on the wheel, heated mirrors, auto dimming mirror etc... is an econobox.

>Because if money was no object, any modern, brand-new vehicle can be bought and modified to be each of our own "perfect" cars with performance and safety far surpassing any old shitbox.

t. kid born in 2001

I know they are just old shitty cars to you, good, leave them for us.

>because you guys are all poor?
Or we like freedom.

There is nothing like owning everything you have outright. I can tell my boss to go fuck himself tomorrow and not worry about having debt to pay off.

I bet your apartment is really nice.

Because some people want a car with less than 150 thousand miles that they don't have to reasonably worry about breaking down on their way to work.

Or at least that's the reason I'm too scared to get a first gen Miata even though they're by far my favorite in terms of looks.

>driving a car with over 100k miles
I seriously hope none of you do this.

>same price
>14,000 dollars

Please name a new car I can buy for 14,000 dollars that is as nice as an S2000 or M3.

Shit doesn't just randomly break. If you're even halfway paying attention to your car you'll notice most problems before they become something that can make you late for work.

lern2maintenance you cuck.

I do.