/edg/ & /scg/: Elite: Dangerous & Star Citizen General #27

Previous thread: Welcome to the merged generals of Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen.

Gamescom info:
community.elitedangerous.com/eventseason16
heise.de/newsticker/bilderstrecke/bilderstrecke_3298445.html?back=3298273
gamestar.hu/gamescom/elite-dangerous-horizons-2-2-guardians-update-gamescom-2016-frissites-ujdonsagok-215519.html
youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/videos

Gamescom info:
robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15451-Gamescom-2016-Details
youtube.com/watch?v=Z-3YBuFI3iI
>2.5 LIVE btw
Referral code randomize:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-1-rpqu70wunuwc4CS9oqXwh1TnFS73f8HJAtAgKWeU/edit#gid=1226618314

If it doesn't have a general, post it here; just don't get upset about sharing.
Above is a pastebin of games you can play while waiting for SC and E:D to become playable.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-1-rpqu70wunuwc4CS9oqXwh1TnFS73f8HJAtAgKWeU/htmlview
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

goyim know

Slag the Banu! Space war now!

Best ship

welp no money for that
I guess I'm not quitting dota

But thats not the brutus.

I think I preferred the Silverback.

Wrong image.

The more time passes the less and less that ship matches the aesthetic of the game, I don't think it out right looks bad like some people do. (although the interior is over the top for its roll)
But it dose not mach aegis' style, the general lines of the ship kinda fit but all the detailing is to much and It certainly dose not look like is belongs to or is related to any other manufacturer or ship.

>design ship literally off of a whale
>sell jpeg for $250

Pottery

>But it dose not mach aegis' style
But aegis' current style is ugly as sin. Red and black edgy space plane shit with too many fins added to it.

>Red and black edgy space plane
Its cool, dad.

remove the "tail" and put proper engines on it instead of curling irons and it would be kind of sexy.

Don't fucking sit there and tell me "Match Ready" and then make me wait 8-10 minutes for the player to join.

That means its not ready

I will give you that their current style is not very interesting but it at least looks a military craft not a tonka truck nerf gun accident like the old freelancer model.

Alright guys; I'm considering jumping on the Star Citizen meme and I think I want to fly a Gladius.

The thing is though, I'm trying to make an informed decision, and I'm not sure what if anything the Gladius has going for it over other fighters of its type, size and cost.

Can someone sell me on the Gladius, (or, more importantly, convince me to look into something different if it's really not good).

didn't see the new thread
Some sort of compensation for ship movement and relaxing of deadzones would probably work. Some sort of ED style gimbal assist might help too.

They do work right now, and it is fun to pretend to be Han/Luke don't get cocky, kid but to make them useful your pilot has to fly very a boring and predictable flight path which - at least on the connie, you're better off just throwing the thing around and bringing your main guns to bear. Manned turrets will be great on ships that you can't throw around like a scalded cat - like capitals etc - but on these smaller, dogfight capable ships, they are pretty dud.

>Go to engineer base
>Start shooting a harmless trader
>Get obliterated by the base for being a cunt

Oh wait. FD doesnt know how to make a video game.

You need a starter pack first and I don't think the gladius has one. Get an aurora starter pack and if you REALLY want a gladius get a lti argo and upgrade it to a gladius

You're probably better off jumping on with the Aurora LN and associated package, but if you've got your heart set on the Gladius it's a maneuverable light fighter with a beefed up version that the UEE military still uses. It's extremely nimble, but rather weak hitting. If you like zipping around the battlefield like a crack addicted chipmunk that's what the Gladius tends to feel like.

It would be best if he got an aurora starter package, then upgraded the aurora to something with LTI, then upgraded that to a gladius or whatever else. That would work, wouldn't it?

I know about the need to get a starter pack. I was going to get one and upgrade immediately/after a bit.

I'm just trying to compare it to the Hornet and Avenger and so forth. Speed is wonderful, but the mounts look tiny in comparison (acknowledging of course that the hornet and its variants are bigger, heavier and more expensive.)

What's the cheapest ship that gives LTI? And not that it matters a lot, why the Aurora instead of the mustang starter package?

>why the Aurora instead of the mustang starter package?

If you're just gonna melt/upgrade, the Aurora is worth $5 "trade in value"

The Mustang tends to be an extremely soft target. If you're not decent with the game's controls you can end up shattering massively very quickly. The LN has a fairly decent weapons loadout and is a lot harder a target than its contemporaries. It's pretty good.

$5 more*

Where is Grim Hex in 2.5?

I fired Crusader up earlier but didn't see it in the jump points after taking off from Olisar and had to go do something before I could fart around

It is in the Yella asteroid field.

Cool, thanks, I'm gonna go look for it now

Alternatively your could gain a wanted star and be able to see it in QT.

The Auroras are also the only ships that are currently skinnable, which means you can pay an extra $5 to make your LN look like a disco space bus

You can only get LTI from concept sales now. Right now the only concept sale is for Argo MPUVs. You can upgrade from an aurora to the MPUV, but I'm not entirely sure that you get the LTI if you do that. You definitely get it if you buy it as a standalone ship though.

>Try out the training missions for Elite Dangerous.
>Give up fifteen minutes into the advanced combat mission due to awkward boring turnfighting.

I will never criticize Star Citizen combat again. I had my choice of shitty autotarget pulse lasers that didn't do any damage, and shitty railguns that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside and spiked my heat to insane levels.

It's the VISION that decreed ships should yaw slowly, and the VISION is not to be QUESTIONED

CCUs keep the insurance from the ship you're upgrading from, this is why you can buy a $35 Argo and then CCU to a Connie or whatever and the Connie will have LTI.

Use a referral code!

i wish the ccu from gladius to sabre was cheap

my gladius feels 100% like trash and that im wasting my time having it

i have a loaner f7c to use because cat ownership I think, and tryin it over the gladius just feels like its not worth the $20 so theres really nothing to upgrade from without dropping $ 100 to get the sabre

Okay, so let me get this straight, I should:

1. Buy the starter Aurora Package
1a. Use a referral code
2. Buy the MPUV
3. Melt the MPUV for my Gladius, now with LTI
4. Possibly melt my Aurora

Or can I:
2. Upgrade my Aurora to an MPUV
and get the LTI? Or do I have to buy it standalone to get the LTI?

Then wait for the buccaneer to become flyable since it will probably have gladius like maneuvering with enough guns to actually give a shit about

First plan, no, if you melt the aurora you lose the game package.

You can buy the mpuv and upgrade to gladius SEPARATELY and have the aurora with the game package, then an add-on gladius

your second option is definitely no, as you only keep the insurance of the base purchase so if you ccu an aurora into an MPUV, you have an MPUV with like 3 months insurance.

dont bother

Did I happen to miss the Buccaneer concept sale? I'd love to get a supporting pirate ship for my Cat as something else to do... Gladius just feels too limited. If it already hit concept sale, how much was it?

But gladius isnt ugly, unlike buccaneer

Okay, so end result I get the starter aurora and take my MPUV and turn it into a LTI Gladius.

Result: I have an Aurora, a Gladius with LTI and the game package.

Then I can either use the Aurora as well or upgrade it into some other shit i dunno? But the important thing is I need not to ever melt it or bye-bye goes my game package.

Missed it a month or two ago, it went for $110, so if it turns out shit it can CCU to a base Hornet for free.

Concept sale was a few months back, it was $110.

Don't upgrade or melt aurora
It's tied to game package and only has 3 months insurance

I wish Chris didn't fuck with the Bucc design and make them add big, easily destructible wings to slap half the weapons to.

No wings and big engines was the Drake motif anyway.

That's good to hear. That means it'll only be $20-25 to upgrade Gladius into a Buccaneer, since the Gladius to Hornet CCU is like $20.

That sounds good and I'll wait for that. Gladius just feels underpowered in a game where speed doesnt seem to really matter

Technically you'll have an Aurora with the game package and a Gladius with LTI :) But yes, you could later upgrade the aurora if you wanted, but it's best to just hang onto it as a game package. IF you upgrade something from it, that will only have 3 months insurance.

I mean realistically, insurance won't fucking matter. You'll be able to buy it in game for pennies and a negligble impact on your income, so it's more convenience to have LTI than anything of actual value

Okay. But I'm right on the whole rest of the thing so long as I don't even fucking think about touching the aurora and the accompanying package. Right? Okay.

I think I've got it through my head, treat the game package like it's a bumper sticker on the Aurora. Right? Okay. Okay.

Don't talk about my z95 head hunter stand in like that

Correct.

Also referral code randomizer

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-1-rpqu70wunuwc4CS9oqXwh1TnFS73f8HJAtAgKWeU/htmlview

For the record, you won't break anything by upgrading the aurora. You'll still keep the package, but since the base insurance is only like 3 months I think? Not really worth it. Might as well wait and buy whatever you want outright

Yep. Don't mess with the game package. Buy standalone lti ship then ccu to desired ship. .

Will ships go be on sale during citizencon or will they hold out for anniversary?

citizencon is always accompanied by a sale

>not buying glorious superior sabre

Yes, it's sad it kept losing features until it becane generic space plane #14. The early idea of it being able hold an external cargo box sounded perfect for a pirate raider. Fly in, disable target, have a Cutlass board ship and shove a cargo box out, bucket grabs box and takes it back to base.

But that got killed early on.

But what if I don't want a space F14? And would rather just have a gladius with guns that might occasionally manage to hurt another ship?

Space f-22 actually.

What ship do I get if I want an F-35 Lightning?

vanguard

Toy model :^)

Well, the vanguard warden is a useless, overpriced piece of crap... That sounds about right.

Well, certainly not the F8 Lightning

Alright. I got the aurora and the LTI (with attached (not for long) MPUV) at least. I'll upgrade to the Gladius once I'm comfortable that I won't prefer something else.

I went ahead and used the code randomizer, and assuming that's it how it works, here's mine : STAR-QPFF-L5C4

Thank you everyone for your help. Looking forward to flying the unfriendly skies.

I like this thing. But it looks more aegis style.

>open image
>see 4h logo
>one is a nigger
bet that one is paul

Holy shit they didn't make Grim Hex a jump point unless you're a criminal? That's fucking stupid.

So basically if you have a slow ship like an Aurora or a Mustang your options are either kill someone, turn off a comm station (and not get killed by the pirates who launch ten missiles at you the second you come out of warp), or fly to Yela and then supercruise for literally five minutes (assuming you know exactly where to go)

Holy shit CIG you're fucking retarded get your shit together

how long before this is in the store?

Wasn't this one unavailable to players?

>they didn't make Grim Hex a jump point unless you're a criminal
>"oh hi UEE here is our super secret base just lit for you on your IFF. Please don't kill us."
inb4 bait

I thought all QD was the same speed?

it is. this salty faggot should stick to sucking dick and talking about elite.

Yeah, it's a super secret pirate base that they will totally let you go to the second you flip a switch in a comm station.

What are you, some kinda retard or something?

QD and supercruise are two completely different things, do not post if you don't know what you are talking about

I'm Currently in L 639-45 and I plan to make it my home system for the moment.

How exactly do I go about raising my reputation with the L 639-45 Gold Pirates? I tried helping them kill opposition along the HRES but it hasn't given me any Rep bonus, nor do I hunt them when BHunting in HRES areas.

Halp.

Wait, you can't even upgrade the base game package ships without the game going bye bye? Damn. I was looking to upgrade my Alpha.

Correct.

He said it pretty poorly. You can upgrade the Aurora, but it has really shitty insurance, so he advises against it.

Can anyone tell me why I can no longer see my weapon load out and the enemy paperdoll/ship that I have targeted? Star Cit of course.

To be fair, insurance is supposed to be something that isn't a huge deal once the actual game is launched.

Just something you have to remember to buy every once in a while.

Also, all insurance that comes with ships (including LTI ships) is just basic "minimal essential coverage" insurance, which means that if your ship gets stolen or destroyed you only get back a stock replacement ship, any money spent on modifications or cargo you had on or in it is lost. The only way around that is to buy more expensive higher coverage/full coverage insurance.

Also, there will be different kinds of insurance for safer/more dangerous areas of space as well.

So basically, even if you have LTI you're still going to have to deal with some form of insurance from time to time, so don't sweat it if you end up with a ship that starts with only three or six months worth.

>60mil in a asplorer sothis run

Just hate the huge manned turrets, they ruin the look on so many ships in SC.

Ah I see what you mean now. So citizens call that supercruise. I thought it was just called cruise mode.

Cruise is full speed flying with poor turning

Qd is like eve online warping

>Qd is like eve online warping

it looks similar but it's really not

I can never get into full-on trading. I have no clue how the trading system works.

I mean I can smuggle and shit. (currently doing runs of Imperial Slaves to a Federal System, but its turning a measly profit.)

So how much espionage is planned for the on ship stuff in SC?
Is it SS13 levels of paranoia where everyone and everything could go wrong or is it just a comfy walking sim?

Sothis runs is about stacking delivery missions.
The cargo doesn't really matter since you are paid for the service not the good.
Just stack the hauler missions make the borning ass trek back and swim in money.
It is very luck based since you're hoping the RNG VISION gives you misisons with decent payout and low tonnage hauls but if you're patient it's possible to make upwards of 60mil with 80t on cargo.

It really is mind-boggling boring but it is pretty much the fastest and safest way to make dosh

I was there a few minutes ago, the CMDR there were complaining about a lack of hauling missions. They were probably sitting there trying to get them in open instead of switching. And if they weren't then RNGesus hates 'em.

Depends on how big your ship is, and how many real players you're bringing along. NPCs are probably not going to try shit.

I see so i can upgrade my mustang alpha for a better ship and i don't lose access to the main game right?

Sorry to ask again i just want to be 100% sure

Absolutely correct, or I'd have lost the game when I upgraded my Constellation to the Phoenix ages ago.

I met my first open play CMDR at sothis about an hour ago.
He kept trying to nudge me into the envelope.

Tomorrow is the big day lads.
There are multiple Fed navy capital ships patroling Merope and chatting about an alien vessel.

What do you guys think will happen? Supposedly the system is the Pleiades one that matches the message from gamescom but why is Merope 5c still so important?
Maybe we gotta find the Bounty Hunter in Pleiades meanwhile ayys appear in Merope?

It looks like the war between the imps and feds is gearing up again.
More than likely the feds and imps will go total war on each other and the thugoids will rock up and fuck everyone's shit

my murder fridges are ready to remove space kebab

Why is ED so retarded that you have to be a glorified mailman forever instead of letting you be an actual trader, i.e. buying and selling commodities yourself?

Spaghetti code

Well, you CAN, but it's so ridiculously not worth it without knowing where rare goods spawn that it's unfeasible for all but the most easily amused.

Yeah, probably the biggest thing that puts me off is how boring it is.

At least with smuggling there's an element of excitement and danger from carrying 30 Tonnes of Narcotics into a high security station with well timed heat sinks.