I make roughly 57K a year. Can I afford a BRZ?

I make roughly 57K a year. Can I afford a BRZ?

Yes, not withstanding any other crushing debt.

Nope. Get a car with less power. Those things chew up tires real fast.

>get something with less power
HAHAHAHA
Never change Veeky Forums

I'm only making 21k a year and can afford it cash with my savings

:^)!!!

How can you justify spending more than a years salary on a car? Does your parents pay for everything else?

at almost 60k a year you should be able to afford a mortgage and a lexus and anyone actually making that much would know that.

i propose that op is a neet faggot.

Maybe he lives in California. 57k is almost poverty tier here

lmao, maybe a mortgage in rural utah and a 20 year-old ls400.

I live in San Diego 5 minutes from the beach and own a house and a new car. granted im cohabitating with the gf, sharing bills, and the house was built in 1958, but combined we make about 82k/y and live very comfortably.

You should be able to afford one no problem. Question is whether you really want one or not, this coming from a guy who owns one.

yeah easily. I made 46K a few years ago and the local cadillac dealer had no problem financing me a cts-v wagon. I didn't buy but it was neat to learn how much they wanted to sell those wagons

Why would I not want one?

They're not particularly fast. They're about Miata tier, fun to drive, but you're not going to be winning any impromptu highway drags against a mustang or a camaro.

Crickets can get a bit annoying if you don't get used to them, and if you do decide you want to add some power further down the line, your only option is going to be forced induction.

At around 300 crank hp you need to start upgrading stuff in the driveline and the engine needs a pretty thorough rebuild with some nice forged bits to handle boost.

That being said, if its something you intend on daily driving or having some sporty fun in twisties with, its great. Probably going to toss a supercharger on mine next year and call it a day.

Why would he need to justify it? If it's his life long dream to own a BRZ, then doing whatever it takes to get one is justification in itself.

I've wanted a Suzuki Hayabusa ever since I got my moped license. I've gone through owning 8 bikes, and finally this spring I got myself a 'busa and it's absolutely horrible. But at least I got to own my dream motorcycle for a while. Now I'm selling it and getting a R1 again since that thing was just great, much more nimble, sounded better etc.

Should be noted too, gearheads tend to spend more income on cars comparatively. Guys like us will skimp on fancy dinners and other things in the name of buying a more expensive car, because that's our hobby. We're into cars. It certainly doesn't seem outlandish to me that he'd want one.

What kind of stupid question is that. Unless you're addicted to Valium you can afford a brz. You can fincance one for probably a couple hundred a month which is thousands less than what you probably make each month based on your yearly salary.

E C O B O O S T
C
O
B
O
O
S
T

>skip on fancy dinners

going out to eat is my weakness, i need to learn the financial strengths of the car guy

>insurance
>gas
>housing
>food
>savings
>other monthly bills

Because a financed car is the only thing adults pay, amirite?

For me, I rarely have time to go out to eat. Its usually getting takeout because I don't have time to cook.

I used to work with guys who would spend tons of money on new stereo systems for their apartment, the most expensive craft beers and steaks.

Their cars were usually cheap econoboxes.

Make about the same with crushing debt and I still afford it.

if your parents really love you, it is

>hooning tires
>weed
>hookers

You deserve to buy a Toyoboru and go into huge debt doing it. The Toyobaru was tailor made for those who insist on making poor decisions in life.

takeout sounds like the way to go

$5-8 a meal and no chance to drink expensive alcohol

but it really is one or the other if you're a prole

Why would you want one? You can buy 2 corvettes for a total of 700hp instead of economy car garbage. Give one of the corvettes to your dad.

You need to make at least 10x the value of the car in a year. You should be able a to buy a e36 that isn't falling apart

Tfw I make $90,000, live with my parents, ride a bike to work and drive a $1000 """classic""".

I've sort of daydreamed of buying an ND, but as this guy says I'd feel like I was cucking myself wasting so much money.

>You need to make at least 10x the value of the car in a year
>You have to make $250,000 a year to purchase a new Miata

>20k
>huge debt
>60k a year salary

oh man, the bitter poorfags who think they know finance are so hilarious on here

for white males it is definitely that way

we don't have government support checks coming from 5 different agencies, we actually have to work to afford things

>mfw see ghetto trash and single moms driving bentleys several times a day paying EBT and living on welfare living like kings

New Jersey is a shit state.

I make the average median salary for my area, $40,000

my take home is 2100 a month

>insurance
$116/mo (multiple cars/bikes)
>gas
$250/mo
>housing
$500/mo my mortgage + prop taxes
>food
$250/mo4
>savings
$200/mo
>other monthly bills
$45/mo phone
$170 - utilities/interwebs
-------
$569 extra a month.

This is why I don't finance a nicer car :'(

>tfw in college I thought 40k/yr sounded like a lot of money.

1660 kg jesus christ those fuckers are heavy

Thats retarded. That means to buy a semi deacent car like a Golf with 120 HP you'd need to make 300 000/year.

>>gas
>$250/mo

What the fuck. I know I drive a civic but I only spend 40$/month on gas at the most.

but you have no debt besides your house? that's pretty damn good user... assuming your house isn't poop. And depending what you drive. I assume you drive shitboxes

How? Aren't like 2000 sq ft homes like 600k out there?

I had a job offer in San Francisco and a 1600 sqft home was like 800k. I said fuck that.

If you came to this board expecting answers, such a fool you must be. This is a tomb where words of gut twisting hatred, soul crushing loss, and mind numbing solitude echo; we are here to release what the world has bestowed, not absorb it.

This place, to which some call home, is an instrument of emotional vivisection; a tool to remove the leeches named despair and self-malice which society had afflicted those they deemed a lesser.

To prosper here, one must learn balance by relishing in the disdain of those who post revilement, all the while purging cancerous thoughts that plague the heart. The touchless miserables here are not bound by this physical plane, but materialize through posts of written language behind the mask of anonymity. Make use of these robot readers so others may share your misery; articulate the burden of your weathered spirit who knows not the warmth and joy of an amorous bond.

Then learn to laugh along with the nihilists, gluttons, and the cursed; banter with the villains, the whores, the sick and perverse. In this dark corner of the interwebs, they are your cruel companions, your cohorts of self depravity; all bonded together as faceless rejects who world has forsaken.

So go and run, Opie, leave our secret club. You may yet have a chance to escape untainted from the emotive parasites which thrive in this board. May you never know the bedevilment which captivates us; the vexation of memetic imagery arousing mans most primitive sins. For I am envious, Opie, my path led to damnation. Forsaken was I, a worthless cretin; condemned to bear witness to the fleeting years of my priceless youth fade and my mortal vessel rot with age. This board has imprisoned me; sealing me away to a fate of endless decay, forever bickering among the other wretches of this cyberspace cafe for the socially aborted.

K

My dd is a 96 Sentra. I only spend like $30-40 in gas a month in it doing necessary errands. My fuel cost comes from all my "fun driving/riding".
I have a 84 Cumuro mulletmobile with a pretty basic 383 sbc / th400 setup. I take it to the track + i cruise it around town a lot and it chugs fuel. Then my er6n just blew up and I got a new vfr interceptor. Bike gets good mileage but I do a lot of fun cruising and it adds up to about an extra $20 a week in gas. When i take the car to the track I trailer it with my 92 chebby 305. Between it and the car thats a good $60 in fuel for a trip.
True, and my house is just "okay".

Its good for a single 24 year old not long out of college I think. pic related.

Why would anyone willingly buy an outdated and slow piece of shit like the BRZ in the year of 2015+1?

>lifelong dream to own a brz
how does it feel to have cheap dreams and even cheaper asperations

I make almost 20x the value of my car in a year
Get on my level

You can easily finance something like a Scion iM and convert more of that gas money into disposable

baka user drop that shitty sentra now

i commute to work 5 times a week, which is 30 mins away. Plus errands and stuff on the weekend. I EASILY go through 200-220 of gas a month.

07 malibu v6 tho

If you don't mind the constant humiliation of being overtaken by minivans and can pay for it in full before interests fuck you over, by all means. Only worth the money when bough with the MT configuration.

can you you show a picture of your chevy cavalier

Eh, I have always held the opinion that 40k is the bare minimum to be able to live comfortably, like enough so you can come home everyday and not want to kill yourself

Ideally you want to make more than 60 to have a bit more freedom but if you are not a dipshit you could be doing a lot worse than 40

I make 100k a year

can I afford a Lambo Aventador ??

only if you read a lot of books

It depends on what your other expenses are like. Can you afford to pay 2/3 to 3/4 of your paycheck in car payments alone?
A McLaren 570S would probably be more in your price range, even then the monthly payment would still probably be about 1/3 your monthly income.

>implying he wasn't being sarcastic

You can afford a Focus RS or a WRX Sti.

>Over 50% of your yearly salary on a car

No wonder americans are all in debt.

Getting that car was my motivation to graduate college (before it was even released). Here I am out of college 110 - 140k salary. And still not buying anything.

Buying a house first and it is impossible to get anything under 600k that isn't in the ghetto.

So here I am driving my old Honda with 250k in the bank. Still living in my moms basement with no bills, trying to save up.
Even using Medicaid because why not? Thanks Obama.

Saving up Hopefully one day after I buy my house I will feel lavish enough to buy something nicer. I wish I was lying, fuck this place.

It's pretty bad.
>Average new car purchase is $33,560
>$51,939 is the average household income
>65% of average household income
fug

>impossible to get anything under 600k that isn't in the ghetto
Leave California, faggot.

Not in Cali, but basically the same.

At least there are jobs here and I can retire elsewhere, taking all my home equity.

Also my family is here and then I would have to live in a "fly over state" that sounds boring as fuck.

There are other coastal states that are a lot cheaper.

Anyone here from Ontario that owns the FT86 plate?

>$40k after college
wut. Community college 3 year diploma? I recently graduated and started with a boring $65k job that I'm overqualified for.

let me guess, software engineer?

no, biochemist currently working as a lowly lab tech.

God the ecoboost mustangs sound so bad...

He's lying

not like it matters now that the thread's over but talking about and comparing income is so incredibly pointless if you don't mention where you live. In big cities, shit tier apartments can be $2,000 a month. Meanwhile if you're in a rural area, you can easily get a mid sized house instead of that apartment payment and build equity and not to mention almost every other living expense will be nothing compared to a city especially insurance. You can get a lamborghini insured for $150 a month in small towns meanwhile you couldn't even insure your worthless shitbox for that in a big city

This. This is what I'm going to do.

Had mine for 3 years now. It has about 65k km.

Looking at Edelbrock supercharger with catch cans and an oil cooler setup and wider tires.

After 3 more years will go forged internals twin changed setup.

I have the frs. It's super fun to drive, puts a smile on my face every day. It's a DD.

When I feel like I need more power I go on my gfs c30 t5 and then I remembered why a good handling car is so much more fun to drive (c30 has the worst roll and oversteer ever... fuck I shit my pants taking every corner).

Tldr. Get the brz. Put a forced induction setup into it. Get better tires. Enjoy your vehicle.

I make 0 dollars a year and i have a built skyline GTR and supra.

>I also have unreported, untaxed income.

Anyway, you can afford one OP, but for the money there's so many better cars. I'll let other people delve into that, but i heavily advise you not to waste your money, just because you can.

What the fuck. I barely make $30k a year as a molecular bio technician in California. Started off part-time too post graduation.

>factory turbo
>forged internals from the factory
>adequately cooled with FMIC
>strong transmission geared correctly for turbo power, factory LSD
>At 2400lbs, it's 300lbs less weight than BR-Z
>sounds good from the factory
>miata aftermarket for handling, easy power from tunes
>engine has been in use for 7 years with no major issues

abarth 124 is a good alternative if you can pay a little more

That available in the US??

>>forged internals from the factory
lol
It's the same motor with a tune.

yes

...no it isn't.

Yes it is spaz. You're still the worst anonymous poster on Veeky Forums.

The major issue I have with the miatas is the space.
Can't recline front seats (I'm a tall fucker), no back seats (frs has them for "space only" unless you drive amputee midgets around), great trunk space, and it handles well.

If I was selecting a car now, I would go with a 2-3 year old frs and upgrade/boost the engine with the difference in money.

But. It's all personal preferences.

>ferd engineers though it would be a good idea to put a lawn mower engine in a 2 ton car
topkek what is power to weight ratio amirite????????