Why do they keep putting 8 and 9 speed transmissions into cars?

Why do they keep putting 8 and 9 speed transmissions into cars?

That sounds really awful to drive, Why would you need more than 6?

8 + overdrive is the best combination for efficiency and also for performance
a best usage of engines power

Fuel economy regulations and a desperate attempt to try anything and everything to meet them.

The gubmint these days dictates more about a car's features than the free market does. Is glorious to live in Soviet Murica.

>That sounds really awful to drive
translation:
>I have never driven a 9 speed transmission so I'm just going to assume bullshit about it out of pure ignorance to make myself feel better

thanks, corvette fan

every engine has a most efficient RPM to operate at (torque peak), and a 9 speed transmission can allow you to run at torque peak at 9 different speeds, which is more often than 6. This is why CVT transmissions exist, but they aren't cool because you cant hear the gears shift.

This.
Only reason for so many gears is if the engine it's fitted behind lacks a flexible rev range. May as well have a CVT.

>the only car to ever use more than 6 speeds is a corvette
thanks, insufferable retard

Don't tell me you're a Jeep fan...

>corvette fan!
>no? jeep fan then!
>oh no wait, maybe miata?
>damn, I almost got it...uhm...porsche! you must be a porsche fanboy!
>also no? shit, I'm running out of strawmen

I was thinking of Chrysler's transmissions when I made the thread desu

Mainly fuel economy, but there's a performance benefit as well specifically for automatic transmissions since the fluid coupling tends to not transmit more the engines torque the faster the output spins in relation to the input. The added the gears keeps allows there to be more of difference in between the input and output thus more of the engine's torque can be transferred as the car gains speed making for more powerful acceleration.

>implying the your mentions have anything to do with anything
You sure threw us off the trail.

Pretty much what says.
Engines are the most efficient in a narrow band of RPM, the ideal condition would be to always keep the engine in that interval just like CVTs do.
The advantage of CVTs is the theoretical infinite number of "ratios" it can use between two extremes (look up how CVTs work to understand what I'm talking about), meaning it can keep the engine where it is the most efficient as long as the pulleys can keep changing shapes.

Making gearboxes with an high number of ratios gets you closer to that ideal infinite number, the rev drops between gears is smaller and the engine can stay in its efficiency range for longer.
It'S all about efficiency.

CVTs are great for this, but people don't like the moped noise and the constant apparent feeling of a slipping clutch, so they make conventional autos, trading efficiency for a broader audience.

>What is improved fuel economy and optimum power band gearing

Strawman argument

i suppose if you have an american engine that redlines at 1500 rpm you would need all the gears you could get

>the guy who never ever drive cvt and watched some YouTube video
Mechanic here. I hate cvt for a lot more other reason

Point me where I said CVTs are made exclusively for the purpose of being efficient, Mr mechanic

>It'S all about efficiency.
not even him kill uerself

Many Gears + Super Fast Shifts = Bonkers Accelleration

I was talking about the reason behind adding gears to gearboxes, not about CVTs specifically

hehe oh yeah i love shifting from 5100-5200 rpm 9 times so i can get that extra 2 average horsepower

You've never even driven an 8 speed auto have you, faggot?

it's cheaper to make 18psi twin turbo that actually designing engine that can actually rev higher and doesn't need 11 speed gearbox

It's also easier to write in correct English, but hey, I'm sure you did your best

>ZF damage control

I wouldn't mind a 7 speed trans or atleat upgrade to a 6.

But reliable strong common 6 speeds with an lsd are hard to find.

C61 out of a bzr meets common LSD but I hear they're not that strong.

They should just move all cars to serial hybrids. Where a small gasoline engine powers a generator. While electric motors provide the actually movement.

Cvts only have 1 gear

OH MY FUCKING GOD MY EYES OH LORD PLEASE MAKE IT STOP OH MY FUCKING SHITBALLS ITS SO HORRIBLE

With the way planetary gears work there isn't much difference in size/weight/complexity in going from 6 to 7 as there is 6 to 9, that's why they emerged. They aren't continually adding overdrives to 3 speed trannies anymore.

My dad has an 8 speed Audi diesel. It might aswell be electric at that point.