ITT: Things you wish were better documented/events you wish we knew more about

ITT: Things you wish were better documented/events you wish we knew more about

I wish there were more details about the Battle of Tara in Ireland.
Generally accepted knowledge is that Máel Sechnaill Mac Domnaill the North king of Ireland, fought Óláf Sigtryggsson and his norse army from Dublin.
Other widely accepted notes are that the irish were hugely outnumbered, but we know that the Norse army was utterly decimated. This laid the path for Brian Boru to then "succeed" at Clontarf.

I would love to know more about what happened, or the actual numbers.

Munsterfags will never accept that their hero was second to based Máel Sechnaill

>Things you wish were better documented
All of history

The Bar Kokhba revolt.

There's a lot of information about when and where and how it started, and a lot of course on the genocidal campaigns at its close, but information about the war itself is fragmentary and often contradictory.

How was he able to defeat legions in the field? The revolt only lasted 4 years, how did it have time and stability to mint coins and distribute them so widely in the near east? Did Bar Kokhba have actual auxilia in his forces, and was he himself trained in the Roman military machine? If so, why didn't it have the same effect on the system that Batavi revolt had (and why were they there post Batavi?) And if not, where the hell did their degree of coordination and effectiveness come from? Why did it take nearly half the Legions to stomp down a revolt from a tiny province?

Early Chinese History. Essentially all we have to go on is a book about how everything was fine and dandy written under the influence of a legalist government. It's sketchy as fuck.

I wish I had more info on the battle of Kinsale as im doing a project on it

Mongols post Yuan dynasty. There is absolutely fuck all on Northern Yuan. I mean a Mongol captured a Ming Emperor and there is virtually zero literature on them.

Steppe in general. We only know about they steppe when they start fucking with the settled people. I'd kill for a lost archive to be found written from a steppe groups pov.

The Sea People

>a bunch of people come in and completely obliterate the greeks

>the Pharaoh manages to save Egypt in two badass battles even though he has a terrible navy

It'd make for a great movie too.

>there will never be a "take back the south" CSK2 Ireland campaign feautring Máel Sechnaill trouncing Boru

feels bad.

>the origin of the huns is a total mistery

Do we even know who those sea people were? When I last looked it up, their whereabouts were still somewhat mysterious.

Hell, the entire late bronze age collapse is still one of the biggest historical mysteries.

what

I wish the collected signal corps film of Omaha Beach had survived.

The History of Carthage

I think there was a book but it's not longer extant

JIDF detected.

The Finno-Korean Hyper War is vastly undersourced. We only really know about it because of the archives of Suomi Kreikka, Egyptian records, and the oral tradition of the Sheid peoples. All the original Finnic sources were lost after the GMAA event and the Koreans didn't reinvent writing for years after the war.

Nadir Shah's conquests.

Absolutely no mention from Western sources and only little mention from obscure Iranian sources.

Also, I'd like to see a non-biased history of Muhammad and the early muslims. It's almost always either "Muhammad and his allies were led by Allah and his enemies were literally demons who are in hell now" or "Muhammad was an evil pedo rapist killer fag and islam is a death cult!". People would learn more about Islam if we could just get one non-biased source.

Post-Roman Britain

No we don't.

The trojan war
Romulus and remus
Atlantis

>European paganism
beyond just legends. Practical stuff like rituals, the role of priests in society, how this religion varied between villages, how important/powerful was it overall, was there any response to Christianity

>The history of the early Slavs.
All we have are sketchy records written centuries after the fact. Where did they come from, was it all just linguistic or were there actually vast cultural similarities, from where exactly did the Croats/Serbs migrate to the Balkans, more details about some of those relatively well-off Medieval kingdoms like Great Moravia and Samo's realm

>secret/covert ops stuff
This is general and I'm sure there would be a lot to dig through. Not sure how far back things of this nature go, but in mind I have the Cold War. We already know a number of things that show just how nefarious the CIA, KGB, and other such agencies were - but I'm sure there's things still hidden that would blow our minds

God damn that is fucking hilarious

Haha +1 my brother lol!

Woah look at Mr. Hahahilarious. Really out did yourself on this one user I'm sure my friends at Reddit will find this post as funny as i do

I would just be happy if there were 20 other great writers from different parts of the world proven to be contemporary to Herodotus's time so we could get a more realistic view of the ancient world and the events that happened.

Footage of the battle of Kursk.

The largest tank battle in human history is largely undocumented.

What happened to maya.

For Germanic you can look up a blot and go from there.

I'd kill for like, a diary written in cuneiform by an Indo-European traveling merchant in Sumeria. That'd be the linguistic find of the century if written in IE and still extremely valuable if in Sumerian.

Lots of early Christian apocrypha and "heretic" writings.

Don't most people believe they came from the Aegean/Western Anatolia?

These, it's fucking maddening.

No, we simply don't know, also they didn't come from a single place, according to Egyptians they came from "all lands", so not a single region most likely, they were like 8 different populations.

The only one we are sure about are Lukka, who were the Lycians.

>The Philistines or Peleset could've come from Crete or Cyprus because their pottery was Aegean and so were their (really few) writings, but it's still a mystery.

>Teresh=complete mystery
>Ekwesh=Mystery, some though Greek but they were circumsized according to Egyptians

>Deyen=mystery

>Sherden=complete mystery despite their large presence in Egyptian documents from 1300 bc until 800 bc and the fact that they served as the pharao's royal guards, were given lands in Egypt and held in high regard.

>Shekelesh=Total mystery, they apparently sacked and destroyed Ugarit, the biggest port in the Levant, and they kidnapped a Hittitie princess, their origin remains uknown

>Weshesh= no clue about their origins, their mentioned among the Shekelesh and Sherden raiding Egypt as Pirates

>Tjeker=Absolutely no clue about them, they later settled Dor in the Levant while the Philistines settled Palestine

I was talking about our best guess, but it appears there isn't really a best guess in this case

These are most common theories, but none of them can be proved apart from the Lycians.

Egyptian name Original identification Other theories
People Trans-
literation Year Author Theory
Denyen d3jnjw 1872 Chabas[23] Greek Danaoi[24] Israelite tribe of Dan[24]
Ekwesh jḳ3w3š3 1867 de Rougé[23] Greeks (Achaeans)[25][24][26]
Lukka rkw 1867 de Rougé[23] Lycians;[26][25]
Peleset prwsṯ 1855 de Rougé[27][28] Philistines
1872 Chabas[29][30] Pelasgians
Shekelesh š3krš3 1867 de Rougé[23] Siculi[26][25]
Sherden š3rdn 1867 de Rougé[23] Sardinians[25][26][31][32]
Teresh twrš3 1867 de Rougé[23] Tyrrhenians[25][26][33]
Tjeker ṯ3k3r 1872 Chabas[23] Teucrians[34]